Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup's Advent calendar / Adventskalender
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup's Advent calendar / Adventskalender

pbxpbx Member
edited November 2020 in General

Netcup just unleashed the first box of its Adventskalender. It's a cheap .de domain. Not too exciting IMO.

It's going to last for a month.

Do you expect good stuff? Anything you'd like to see offered?

Comments

• Thanked by 1pbx
  • Too bad there are too many hoarders that buy VPS for idling which prevents others that really need the servers to buy. I was really expecting to grab a RS server or the BF promotion however that is impossible, they are gone in like 5 minutes of which 4 minutes the site is down.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @benj0x said: their carnival offer

That would be nice indeed! I think it was SSD cached HDD, not pure SSD. A nice deal and a polyvalent box anyway!

• @pbx said:

@benj0x said: their carnival offer

That would be nice indeed! I think it was SSD cached HDD, not pure SSD. A nice deal and a polyvalent box anyway!

Well, at least they had real unlimited traffic. I'm using them as a download server for game server texture packs and updates. Great stuff, quite fast for this purpose. Especially I can push 30 TB a month on a budget. (I'm sure I'm paying netcup enough, to cross-finance this usage.)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I'd expect something comparable to pop in the next few days. maybe less diskspace, like in the BF deals...

also the RS will come back. afaik during the advent calendar they release more stock and spread it over multiple times per day. watching their twitter might help

• pbxpbx Member
    edited November 2020

@Falzo said: afaik during the advent calendar they release more stock and spread it over multiple times per day.

Yep it should not be as hard to grab a deal than it was during this BF. The bigger servers stayed available a little while, but as @gdarko said, most VPSs sold out so fast... We'll see if there is interesting stuff, there will probably be at least a couple of nice VMs available at some point.

@benj0x said: Especially I can push 30 TB a month on a budget.

Have you been using that much bandwidth for several months? Never had any complain from them? Good to know!

• @gdarko said:
    Too bad there are too many hoarders that buy VPS for idling which prevents others that really need the servers to buy. I was really expecting to grab a RS server or the BF promotion however that is impossible, they are gone in like 5 minutes of which 4 minutes the site is down.

Surprisingly, I got three of their 8GB VPS deals at 7am German time. Which I wanted to replace my K8S Cluster at Contabo, which were nice, but the performance wasnt that great.

But, definitely had problems getting their Webhosting Package later on in the day. Seemingly being early in the morning helped a lot with availability.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @MagicalTrain said: Seemingly being early in the morning helped a lot with availability.

Yep, and the bigger machines didn't go as fast as smaller VMs from what I saw. You got a nice deal anyway :smile:

• @pbx said:

@Falzo said: afaik during the advent calendar they release more stock and spread it over multiple times per day.

Yep it should not be as hard to grab a deal than it was during this BF. The bigger servers stayed available a little while, but as @gdarko said, most VPSs sold out so fast... We'll see if there is interesting stuff, there will probably be at least a couple of nice VMs available at some point.

@benj0x said: Especially I can push 30 TB a month on a budget.

Have you been using that much bandwidth for several months? Never had any complain from them? Good to know!

Yep, I did ask them if it's fine, and they said pretty much "yeah" - so I just did it.

Thanked by 2Falzo pbx
  • @gdarko said:
    Too bad there are too many hoarders that buy VPS for idling which prevents others that really need the servers to buy.

Such is life unfortunately. People see, people want, people jump in, people lack time to actually do what they thought they wanted it for, people leave it to idle... I've been guilty of that (hopefully not this year, but, well, maybe again!).

Of course those left idle are part of why they can make the offers. If everyone used the cheap units to their full potential it would cost the provider. Knowing that many won't allows them to take the risk of offering better deals do those that do get in in time get genuine bargains.

Thanked by 2pbx Falzo
  • Today's one is interesting: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2690

Prozessor: AMD EPYC™ 7702
    Prozessorkerne: 4 dediziert
    Arbeitsspeicher DDR 4 ECC: 20 GB
    Festplatte: 640 GB SSD
    16.16€

But already OOS...

Do you guys know if they restock all advent calendar items during the day or just some of them? If they do, is it at random time or is it a way to guess when it's going to be available again?

Thanked by 1benj0x
  • They start at midnight CET and sometimes restock during the day. Follow their Twitter feed to know more.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @saibal said: sometimes restock during the day

Thanks. Do you know if most of the stock is available at midnight, or if sometimes they had good bunch of VMs later on when they restock?

• This spec is really a monster to me:

root@cp:~# cat bench-2020-02-12.txt
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-11-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed 02 Dec 2020 11:00:03 AM CET

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 19.6 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 629.9 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 142.59 MB/s  (35.6k) | 1.68 GB/s    (26.3k)
    Write      | 142.96 MB/s  (35.7k) | 1.69 GB/s    (26.5k)
    Total      | 285.55 MB/s  (71.3k) | 3.38 GB/s    (52.9k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 1.60 GB/s     (3.1k) | 1.58 GB/s     (1.5k)
    Write      | 1.69 GB/s     (3.3k) | 1.69 GB/s     (1.6k)
    Total      | 3.30 GB/s     (6.4k) | 3.28 GB/s     (3.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 2.13 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.75 Gbits/sec  | 2.36 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 595 Mbits/sec   | 1.71 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 443 Mbits/sec   | 2.06 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 429 Mbits/sec   | 928 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.60 Gbits/sec  | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.93 Gbits/sec  | 2.34 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 619 Mbits/sec   | 1.45 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 466 Mbits/sec   | 1.03 Gbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1029
    Multi Core      | 3746
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5112410

Thanked by 2pbx ofit
  • @pbx said:

@saibal said: sometimes restock during the day

Thanks. Do you know if most of the stock is available at midnight, or if sometimes they had good bunch of VMs later on when they restock?

if they restock during the day, they usually announce it on twitter...

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I'm still amazed, that this box is twice as powerful as my current netcup server with 8 Intel CPU cores.

Time to switch, if there wouldn't be this insanely long contract term, which is stopping me from ordering.

• @benj0x said: if there wouldn't be this insanely long contract term, which is stopping me from ordering.

Why is it a problem? If you're looking to host your stuff long term & trust them enough to provide good quality during the time of the contract, why would a long contract term be a big deal?

• pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2020

Nice VPS today:

VPS Vanillekipferl ADV20
    4 vCores, KVM-Technologie
    10 GB RAM
    240 GB SSD (RAID10)
    80 TB Traffic ungedrosselt
    7.77 €

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2692
    https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2692

This one will probably go fast...

It seems likely that they'll restock at 3PM German time zone (MEZ), so 14:00 (UTC)

Thanked by 2hide1hide akhfa
  • neikneik Member
    edited December 2020

I currently am running a VPS 1000 G8 Plus and am actively looking at the current advent promotion of Netcup but also at their G9 line-up.

Does anyone know what changed from G8 to G9, especially CPU-wise?
    Can more CPU power be expected?

• pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2020

@neik said: Can more CPU power be expected?

If I'm not mistaken all G9 nodes are using AMD EPYC 7702 CPUs, so yes, more CPU power per thread can be expected.

We spoke about it here. On their Advent calendar sales, I'm not sure they'll sell VPSs on their AMD nodes. We'll see!

• @pbx said:

If I'm not mistaken all G9 nodes are using AMD EPYC 7702 CPUs, so yes, more CPU power per thread can be expected.

We spoke about it here. On their Advent calendar sales, I'm not sure they'll sell VPSs on their AMD nodes. We'll see!

They did sell that 2 days ago. You even posted it here yourself

• Which is company better to use for streaming purpose, Hetzner or Netcup?

• Streaming what? Plex?

• @Barnesanger said:

@pbx said:

They did sell that 2 days ago. You even posted it here yourself

That was a Root-Server, not a vServer

• @suricloud said: streaming purpose, Hetzner or Netcup?

Their networks are slightly different, I prefer Netcup's but YMMV. You can check using test IPs which you find the best for your use case.

@Barnesanger said: They did sell that 2 days ago. You even posted it here yourself

A Root-Server was available indeed, but it's out of stock. I can't guess what they will offer. Personally I'd like a small VPS (cheaper than their RS line) with pure SSD & EPYC CPU. It's unlikely though, and if it existed it would be OOS so fast it would be almost impossible to grab...

• @pbx said: If I'm not mistaken all G9 nodes are using AMD EPYC 7702 CPUs, so yes, more CPU power per thread can be expected.

>

I also contacted the support and they confirmed exactly this. VPS G8 are Intel based and VPS G9 are AMD based, so basically a better CPU performance can be expected.

Thanks guys!

Thanked by 2pbx sebkehl
  • @gdarko said:
    Too bad there are too many hoarders that buy VPS for idling which prevents others that really need the servers to buy. I was really expecting to grab a RS server or the BF promotion however that is impossible, they are gone in like 5 minutes of which 4 minutes the site is down.

If you need the server you don't really have time to wait for promotions. xD Less self pity please!

Thanked by 2pbx neik
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2020

Look like today's deal doesn't go OOS as fast as their great VPSs...

.at domain for 10 EUR / y

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2693
    https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2693

Thanked by 1hide1hide
  • 1nf1nf Member
    edited December 2020

@pbx said:
    Look like today's deal doesn't go OOS as fast as their great VPSs...

.at domain for 10 EUR / y

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2693
    https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2693

.at are good for domain hacks. but you can get them cheaper at alldomains

Thanked by 1pbx