Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the worst VPS providers or most suspect?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are the worst VPS providers or most suspect?

edited December 2020 in Reviews

I'm looking around for some KVM VPS. I've had openVZ based SSD VPS before with ChicagoVPS and Ramnode but am looking for some others. The lowest price I found was losangelesvps and racknerd. However, at least one of these is associated with an individual who has a reputation as a sort of pump and dump provider that sells the product low to a high number of people then fails at some time in the future sort of like Bernie Madoff where people are very happy initially for a time but it ultimately fails. I don't do business with people that have such a reputation.

So many VPS providers I see look like losangelesvps website where it looks like some sort of script created it. I think Ramnode has a ok reputation now but the pricing is a little high for my needs. Does anyone know of some decent ones in the USA with 2GB of RAM KVM VPS or some really bad ones to stay away from?

Thanked by 1usiwnt

Comments

• I wont tell you who is the worst, but if you need quality, go for nexusbytes with @seriesn or buyvm with @Francisco .

Netcups smallest vps is also good.

• There is a golden rule:
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

If you pay cheap is almost guaranteed the service is trash. Paying more gives you rights to be a strict customer and expect more quality. Plus you would want your provider to be healthy and have a thriving business. You can be sure there will be no quality, no attention at all , no support, if the provider is giving up terrible unsustainable offers to the point where they cannot pay for their own cost of life.

Safest providers with guaranteed quality in no particular order (KVM):
    -Knownhost,
    -Frantech
    -Ramnode
    -Bigscoots
    -Linode,
    -DigitalOcean,
    -Vultr

What NOT to buy:
    -60% of the providers in this parts that provide unsustainable services. Stuff like UNLIMITED, LIFETIME, should be evaluated carefully by checking the company records, how much time the have been in service, are they legit? Properly registered, taxes, etc. Is it sustainable? Do some math.

The lesson:
    -If you don't pay enough you can't be a strict customer, don't expect 5 minutes ticket replies, don't come running to this or other public mediums to bitch about the provider and how you lost millions!!!! per hour because of downtime.

-Always take your backups. Even if you pay backups with the same provider. They are not liable for your loss. They simply don't care, its in the ToS. Is only your responsibility.

-Remind yourself that ... anybody can register a domain, buy a template, put a website, setup one of the usual billing software around and start taking orders. Ask yourself, why would I trust my data with this company?

etc, etc... old man rambling about things.

• SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited December 2020

@chocolatefrenchfry said: I'm looking around for some KVM VPS ... the pricing is a little high for my needs.

you're a little late for cheap BF VPS, I guess

@chocolatefrenchfry said: Does anyone know of some decent ones in the USA with 2GB of RAM KVM VPS

Hosthatch's 2GB VPS for $15/y was the best this BF

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Good day,
    We offer 2GB ram package starting at xeon $3/month to ryzen $5/Month

Intel Xeon
    https://my2.dataideas.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=28

AMD Ryzen
    https://my2.dataideas.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=37

Thanked by 1Oseri
  • Whatever @SpeedTest said is an example of unsustainable practices. 2GB VPS $15/yr , thats $1.25 a /mo , you can't even buy fries on McDonalds with such amount.

Stay away from shit like that. This forum is rotten with offers like that.

• @chocolatefrenchfry said: I'm looking around for some KVM VPS.

11 months later, congrats

• SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited December 2020

@Hxxx said: Stay away from shit like that. This forum is rotten with offers like that.

you don't know what you are talking about, the high price doesn't mean the high quality

I have been using @hosthath 's cheap VPS for years and I can say that your comment is a bullshit

Thanked by 2JasonM FrankZ
  • DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited December 2020

@Hxxx said:
    Whatever @SpeedTest said is an example of unsustainable practices. 2GB VPS $15/yr , thats $1.25 a /mo , you can't even buy fries on McDonalds with such amount.

Stay away from shit like that. This forum is rotten with offers like that.

Sorry, but I disagree with you, you need to be careful with your statement.
    you cant generalized everything like that, sometimes that price point is not available regularly, it's available just for a certain event ( Black Friday for example ).

And also, some companies might be having a marketing budget to burn, so doing a limited discounted pricing doesn't mean the provider is not trusted. Many startups burning some money until they gather the market. Even bigger providers like DigitalOcean give free credits when they first starting their business to create brand awareness they throw free $25 - $300 credits to users, even AWS / Google Cloud do the same.

So my point is,
    you cannot judge providers just by their pricing point, they might have a marketing budget that you don't know.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @Barnesanger said:
    I wont tell you who is the worst, but if you need quality, go for nexusbytes with @seriesn or buyvm with @Francisco .

Netcups smallest vps is also good.

Thanks for the mention boss <3.

• @DianTama
    Wrong, you can't compare a company backed with millions versus a very small provider offering yearly services for the cost of a coffee.

Yes you can judge providers by price point. In fact that's a critical element part of your decision making as a customer to buy or not.

Is not the same a one man operation possibly without a company properly registered giving yearly unsustainable offers versus a million dollar company giving free credits.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

@SpeedTest

Actually, yes , in fact higher price point usually lead to quality.

In some exceptions, but hey we are talking 5 of 100 , they manage to provide excellent service at such low prices.

• @Hxxx said:
    @DianTama
    Wrong, you can't compare a company backed with millions versus a very small provider offering yearly services for the cost of a coffee.

Yes you can judge providers by price point. In fact that's a critical element part of your decision making as a customer to buy or not.

Is not the same a one man operation possibly without a company properly registered giving yearly unsustainable offers versus a million dollar company giving free credits.

That's why you can't judge that provider is bad just on their pricing, you need to consider many things, like how big is their business, how they run their business ( if they always put their normal pricing so low, that's when you need to be careful ), who backed his business, how is their investment status.

But, like what I said, you don't know their marketing budget, they might have a budget for that promotion, they might have money to burn, that's how a startup works sometimes.

• "Quality" can mean a lot of things though, which would vary a lot between different people, different purposes. For example, for my small idling box I don't really care if my ticket is done in 10 minutes or 2 hours, or if the control panel is robust. Thus instead of going to DO or Linode, I probably can go for any cheap providers in LET (not counting summer host) and be happy.

Basically 'premium price' and 'race to the bottom' is not a boolean, but it's a scale, and there is definitely a happy middle somewhere.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @DianTama is pretty easy to get an idea, just by looking at how much time they have been active, their business reports (documents online), stuff like that can give you an idea.

GOLDEN RULE:
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Ain't no way around that.

There is no way to justify unsustainable services. The customer is expecting support, ticket responses, at that point at a rate of $20 - 35/hour for competent techs in some countries even higher, if the customer open 5 tickets you already wasted at least 20 dollars answering their questions.

Again can't say is the same for all but I would say maybe 5 of 100 thrive in such low profit. It would be interesting to actually know the financial status of all these new providers that went berserker with offer unsustainable offers, and not just 1 or two offers, hourly, daily offers.

Sure if you as a customer are hosting cat memes, by all means buy a shit service. But if you are hosting anything serious, again ANYTHING SERIOUS (business stuff) , do yourself a favor and pay for an actual LEGIT and PROVEN provider.

• @Hxxx said:
    There is a golden rule:
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

If you pay cheap is almost guaranteed the service is trash. Paying more gives you rights to be a strict customer and expect more quality. Plus you would want your provider to be healthy and have a thriving business. You can be sure there will be no quality, no attention at all , no support, if the provider is giving up terrible unsustainable offers to the point where they cannot pay for their own cost of life.

Safest providers with guaranteed quality in no particular order (KVM):
    -Knownhost,
    -Frantech
    -Ramnode
    -Bigscoots
    -Linode,
    -DigitalOcean,
    -Vultr

What NOT to buy:
    -60% of the providers in this parts that provide unsustainable services. Stuff like UNLIMITED, LIFETIME, should be evaluated carefully by checking the company records, how much time the have been in service, are they legit? Properly registered, taxes, etc. Is it sustainable? Do some math.

The lesson:
    -If you don't pay enough you can't be a strict customer, don't expect 5 minutes ticket replies, don't come running to this or other public mediums to bitch about the provider and how you lost millions!!!! per hour because of downtime.

-Always take your backups. Even if you pay backups with the same provider. They are not liable for your loss. They simply don't care, its in the ToS. Is only your responsibility.

-Remind yourself that ... anybody can register a domain, buy a template, put a website, setup one of the usual billing software around and start taking orders. Ask yourself, why would I trust my data with this company?

etc, etc... old man rambling about things.

That tagline needs to be retired. Every goddamn day there is competition for your business. Companies compete and the under dog can be the one that works harder.

I don't have to think hard to remember switching from one service to another that is cheaper and better than the more expensive service. How do you not remember or ever switch services for cheaper and better? Like, seriously?

When a sales person wants to fly to you to have a sales meeting instead of by phone or web, I know there's much more margin than another that doesn't see the need to fly and pad the expenses, etc. Sales guys making 6 figures for not hard work because the shit sells itself.

Can't argue about looking at lots of things, like debt, investors, location, years experience, etc. I'm just arguing the tagline is far too simplistic to be a "Golden rule".

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2020

I love some of the fanboyism that goes on here without properly understanding how things work, and believing in hype rather than good business decisions.

Some of the things in the LE hosting market would also be:

• does the provider own their equipment?
    • how long have they been in business?
    • do they have a history of shady stuff?
    • what datacenters and carriers do they use?
    • is the provider a 'provider' or 'one guy'?

How many LET providers are in top quality datacenters (not the cheap garages with 25 power outages per year), how many of them have high-performance, high quality multihomed networks and not single-homed Cogent or HE or something similar? How many of them make good infrastructure decisions, rather than decisions based on how much money it can save them?

And this does not get discussed enough because this is LET and we all love to love the 'guy' and feel the personal touch - how many of them would survive if the owner was hit by a bus tomorrow? And not just survive but go on to do their day to day business?

The only LET grown provider I have true admiration for is RamNode. It's unfortunate that they don't participate much here anymore, but they are totally worth their price point, because unlike most other top providers here with hype and fanboy-followings - they are actually are a real company, they do not cut corners on their datacenters or carriers - and I don't know for sure since I haven't seen their kit but I can say with high confidence that they use proper redundant network equipment and A+B power on servers, etc. The fact that they run a successful openstack cloud on top of all that also says a lot about their in-house skills. Now compare that with your average 'top' provider here that talks big game.

It's not the first time someone has called our Black Friday (that we do once a year) promotions unsustainable. I could write you another essay about how that is not true and how we make (albeit little) profit on every single one of them, but I think the fact that we have been in business for nearly 10 years (and cash positive for over half of them), continuously expanding worldwide, hiring more qualified people and completely revamping our support at this time (that has been our only weakness), building our own back-end panel since early this year - should give you some confidence.

We are also at a stable 12% year on year growth from the last 3 years in revenue, even when we did 0 marketing this year other than Black Friday. Our costs are lower than they were last year with more locations (including expensive ones like Sydney and Hong Kong) and more people working for us, not because we cut corners and went to John's DC with single-homed Cogent and power from the village (cuz Equinix be so expensive bro) - but because we can afford to renegotiate our contracts thanks to higher volume with our suppliers.

I can email my banking contact and have a $250K lease approved with the lowest possible APR within a day or two, and with no personal guarantee. That's how good our credit history is. I ordered $20K of RAM some time ago and paid in cash but the only thing I did was email our vendor and he shipped it out - without even the wire transfer being started, let alone the money hitting their bank account. That's how good our relationships are with our vendors.

Here is the Linkedin of our CTO - https://www.linkedin.com/in/emiljoensson/ - he co-founded HostHatch with me in 2011, and then left to work for Google because of our internal differences in 2017. Notice how HostHatch continued to run smoothly, even though it was a great loss to our in-house technical skillset. I can leave HostHatch tomorrow, and most likely it will continue to grow and thrive. That is how the company is designed. He left Google early this year and came back to HostHatch (where he makes less money than at Google), because it's our child and we want to make it the best possible version of it. And we really do love doing what we do and trying to do it the best way possible. Now compare that with the average 'top' LET CEO here who runs a hosting company on the side while flipping burgers or going to school. Nothing wrong with flipping burgers - but everything wrong with running a technology company without the needed skillset just because you learned how to run a SolusVM installer.

Most of what I have said (how good is our credit, etc) is public information if you know where to look. By no measure are we a big company. But the point is - we've turned a profit for more than 5 years, have excellent history and relationships with our vendors and suppliers, employ 5 full-time employees, and continue to grow in a positive direction. And by no measure might we be the perfect or the biggest provider on LET, but telling me something is unsustainable when I know it is not - sorry, but no.

I would never write this much of "look at us, we are the best" type of text (because I know we are not the best and we only strive to be) - but there has been more than the usual amount of people getting on my nerves the past few days saying stuff like this.

• @hosthatch you forgot to mention that all that empire you just mentioned is not built with 12/year VPS servers, which is the topic we have been mentioning here. If all you did were 12/yr VPS servers I guarantee you wouldn't be writing that essay :D .

Stable provider doing unsustainable offer for shit fun ,sure. New kiddie provider doing unsustainable offer for starting the business, not fun. if anyone is going to buy such deals, is really necessary to take a look at the company, is this legit? Is this sustainable?

Thanks for the essay, loved it.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The only reason I wrote it because hosthatch was specifically mentioned and called unsustainable above, and today wasn't the first time in the past week that happened.

But in general - of course, common sense rules apply and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Thanked by 4arifur Ouji dosai scooke
  • @hosthatch said:
    The only reason I wrote it because hosthatch was specifically mentioned and called unsustainable above, and today wasn't the first time in the past week that happened.

But in general - of course, common sense rules apply and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Let the haters hate brother. Doesn't change who you are and what you are :). Keep up the good work and continue to slay :)

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

@seriesn nobody is hating, just having a friendly topic. Of course there is some irony when we talk about sustainability and LET. Remember when there was a rule that nobody could charge above 7/mo. Is that still a thing? Nah that died long ago hopefully.

• @Hxxx said:
    @seriesn nobody is hating, just having a friendly topic. Of course there is some irony when we talk about sustainability and LET. Remember when there was a rule that nobody could charge above 7/mo. Is that still a thing? Nah that died long ago hopefully.

Server hardware gets faster and software too while having lower CPU utilization. Remember PHP 5 and Apache and now PHP 7+ and Nginx can run way faster while using less CPU. Its likely now that can put more VPS on a single server than in the past.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2020

@Hxxx said:

I am not saying anything about you boss.

I have seen many people questioning hosthatch in couple of other forums and I can understand how bossman might feel like he is being targeted. Which is bad for mental health. Hosthatch has been around for quite sometime and maintains a Steller reputation.

The goal is to have a friendly conversation, without anyone getting frustrated and attacked (provider/user).

My 2 cents,

• Price is not the only defining factor. However, the thing that feels like a red flag is never ending Flash sales or recurring discounts. Those are usually a sign of bad business model.

Sure. Do some specials here and there. Maybe go crazy on BF with limited life time discounts. Good pr. Probably run some limited non recurring promos (DO/Vultr/AWS credit for example).

But every week, never ending WOW sales is where it starts to get fishy.

For what it is, I run Nexus Bytes from the corner of my home office and it is a company of only 2 Full time and 3 part time people. Don't have any crazy expense minus monthly bills on service fees. While we are a for profit business, I built my business based on keeping our family members happy and offering quality service and never based on price.

You can never compete with price. There will always be someone, who will out price you.

Anywho, I don't have much insight to share. Just remember, if it is too good to be true, most likely it isn't.

• AGREED @seriesn .

I like those 2 cents. PREACH!

Thanked by 1Edmond
  • Please provide us cheap or so called "unsustainable" offers in the next BF. We love them.

• @seriesn said:

@hosthatch said:

Let the haters hate brother. Doesn't change who you are and what you are :). Keep up the good work and continue to slay :)

It'd be great if you can help those people understand truths, so less providers suffer :))

• worst VPS providers

I don't like pointing fingers at any particular hosts, but I've had a high-pri (server down) ticket open at i-83/QuadHost for over five months now. This node was down for over a month, then it suddenly came back online. I've also had a low-pri ticket open at the same host for 11 months, with no response.

Apart from that, I also used a "storage VPS" where the disk I/O was so slow that the disk benchmarking script I used at the time showed the random write speed in KB/s (lol)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Damn @hosthatch making me feel really good about the almost $500 I laid down this BF with them. Thanks for sharing!

• @DianTama said: And also, some companies might be having a marketing budget to burn

yup! agree! 1and1 ionos is selling 1cpu/1gb VPS for $1/mo on offer and regularly $2/mo... and they ain't any less than prem provider on LET if compared with performance and reliability!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GreenValueHost

Come back to us @XFS_Duke ...

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Though I'd also give a nod to DepotVPS (come back to us, Shane...)

The vast majority of LETtites haven't been around to remember DepotVPS. It was a kid (literally, 16 or 17 as I recall) who started his whole company in a fishbowl, asking the community questions at every turn...e.g., "guys I got this error installing WHMCS" and "I'm getting this Solus error" and things like that. He had videos on YouTube of him building his servers...right down to unpacking a power supply from Best Buy, putting it into a tower, and insert a SATA drive.

Several people actually tried to help him but it was a disaster from start to finish.

I'd also give a special award to the guy who won the ColoCrossing startup promo a few years ago. A number of people wrote up business plans and presented them. CC picked one and gave the winner a server for free for six months...and then the guy never did anything with it.

Thanked by 2lentro underd0g