Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers

2»

Comments

• @doughnet said:

@TimboJones said:
    New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

Looks cool. Any idea how much data a single server will consume sending logs/data/etc? I haven’t successfully found info online about this. How much network speed would be necessary too?

I have like 13 hosts added to the inventory and I think it's like 8 or 16GB per month (out of 100GB). So I take that to mean you can monitor a ton on a single server and no worries of overage. Maybe it averages out to 100 servers on their free tier, give or take.

• @TimboJones said:

@doughnet said:

@TimboJones said:
    New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

Looks cool. Any idea how much data a single server will consume sending logs/data/etc? I haven’t successfully found info online about this. How much network speed would be necessary too?

I have like 13 hosts added to the inventory and I think it's like 8 or 16GB per month (out of 100GB). So I take that to mean you can monitor a ton on a single server and no worries of overage. Maybe it averages out to 100 servers on their free tier, give or take.

Awesome thank you for the info!!

• first of all, you need to confirm what type of monitoring you need. From the "check uptime" perspective you can set up a simple cron for the "uptime" command and send an email with that, but I doubt it's what you are trying to achieve. So in fact with full server monitoring best way is to do that with Agents type. It means that all information is sent by agents to the master server/service so you can have a centralized system to store all that data(resources, traffic monitoring, etc.). That system/service can be done through 2 methods:

• 3rd party when in most cases you need to pay for that(NewRelic as additional to all mentioned before)
    • your own server/VPS based on SNMP type of collection. Nginx, Zabbix etc. All of them have a free type and can be tweaked with plugins to monitor everything you need.
    Thanked by 1Chuck
  • oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

librenms.org

• @darkimmortal said:
    https://github.com/phpservermon/phpservermon

Been around for over a decade, great for small scale monitoring with push or SMS notifications, easier to use and setup than some of the other enterprise-oriented suggestions

If you want to go beyond uptime, or depending on your definition of monitoring uptime (graphs rather than notifications), collectd is great

I have been using this for a few years and it does the job

• can do ping test
    • can ping custom ports
    • Set maintance slots so it does not send out and notfications
  • Have u try nodequery?

• You can do simple monitoring yourself with a script and a cron daemon. Are you asking for monitoring from different parts of the world?

• @ariq01 said:
    Have u try nodequery?

NodeQuery is dead AFAIK?

• @lokuzard said:

@ariq01 said:
    Have u try nodequery?

NodeQuery is dead AFAIK?

Well, up to 10 servers works. They say to contact them and they'll increase it (20 in OP), but who knows if they respond anymore.

• hetrix

• Nagios, no doubt!

• cloudservercloudserver Member, Patron Provider

Zabbix is good, have had a good experience with using that for monitoring. I know a few large hosting providers use it as well.