Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isolated Private Networking LANs arrive at BuyVM!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Isolated Private Networking LANs arrive at BuyVM!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Rolled this out earlier in the week.

Here's a copy of the email going out!

Hello,

If you use our Shared SQL services you must make changes to your service! Please continue reading this email!

We’re happy to announce the availability of isolated Private Networking LANs at BuyVM! These networks are isolated to you and your KVM Slice instances and allows you to use any IP addresses you want over the interface, run multicast services (for “keepalived” or services like that), or even run your own DHCP servers for VPNs. This feature also means you can provision a KVM Slice and treat it as a router, NAT’ing traffic to other servers on your LAN.

LANs are currently limited to services within the same location and don’t span locations. This might change in the future but as of now we’re keeping things simple. Private Networking is disabled by default and requires you follow the following steps to enable it.

1) Login to Stallion at https://manage.buyvm.net/
2) Click the instance you want to enable it on
3) Click Networking
4) Click “Private Networking”
5) Click the “On” button on the right
6) Click “Save Changes” at the bottom
7) Power off and Power on your service

There is no DHCP in place to automagically assign your LAN IP address. You must manually configure your choice of IP subnet. We recommend using a block from 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12, or 10.0.0.0/8, as these are reserved for private usage.

If you’re using our Shared SQL services you must update your IP from 172.16.0.51 to one of the following:

Las Vegas -> 205.185.112.51
New York -> 199.195.255.51

You will also have to update your “Hosts” list inside of DirectAdmin to allow your public IP address.

Please don’t hesitate to open a support ticket if you need assistance with any of this!

We hope you and your loved ones are safe & healthy throughout the holiday season.

As always, we thank you for your patronage over the years.

Francisco

Comments

• Bello!!!
    Beautiful!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • How is stock at the moment ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Barnesanger said:
    How is stock at the moment ?

Got some in New York but LU and LV are out.

Ryzen in LU this month with slabs!!!

Francisco

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: Ryzen in LU this month

Does this sound like a BF deal? :wink:

Whether it's BF or not, it will definitely be a great deal anyway. :smile:

• Hardcore. Nice feature, would love this to be more standard across all players.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Neat little feature, keep it up.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

This feature will change the game for you! Congratulations

Thanked by 1Francisco

@ericls said:
    This feature will change the game for you! Congratulations

I'm game :)

@TimboJones said:
    Hardcore. Nice feature, would love this to be more standard across all players.

Yeah we've seen 'shared' private LAN's a lot, DO used to do that as well.

We've never liked it but we didn't have the infrastructure at the time to do something better.

With the Ryzen roll out we've put those systems in place so implementing this only took a couple days.

Next feature will be routed /48's for each KVM slice that wants one.

Francisco

• rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited November 2020

Traffic in private LAN doesn't count against the quota right?

EDIT: nvm found it, not counted.

Also support for cloud firewall (incoming+outgoing) would be awesome.

@rattlecattle said: Also support for cloud firewall (incoming+outgoing) would be awesome.

For WAN interfaces? It's an idea but I think people would want us to then integrate it into Magic Transit. It's something that's on the idea list (especially for RDP brute forces, etc).

Still, I think the subnet routing is what's next on our feature list. I can get it done fairly quick by piggybacking on other systems I already wrote.

Francisco

Thanked by 2rattlecattle eva2000
  • @Francisco said:
    Next feature will be routed /48's for each KVM slice that wants one.

Make sure to let us know when that happens :)

edited November 2020

@Pixels said: Make sure to let us know when that happens

Will do :) Main thing is deciding how to handle RDNS for said subnet.

I think the best option would be to allow customers to delegate it to their own nameservers. Keep the Stallion RDNS controls for the link-local /64.

Francisco

• @Francisco - any thoughts on IPv6 anycast and is that something to look forward to in the near future?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Yeeeeeeeeeah. Fran in quarantine = features galore :smiley:

Thanked by 1Francisco

@nullnothere said:
    @Francisco - any thoughts on IPv6 anycast and is that something to look forward to in the near future?

Cool fact, Cloudflare now handles our anycast :) https://ping.pe/198.251.86.1/. I would want to talk to them about doing IPV6 as well, it hasn't been brought up at this point.

I honestly think the better option for IPV6 would be to give users free /48's and they just BGP announce them from the POP's they want.

@Harambe said: Yeeeeeeeeeah. Fran in quarantine = features galore

Funny story. Sometimes I start fiddling around on an idea ("can I do it this way?") then 4AM rolls around and it's half done. 2FA was basically built like that with it start with me just testing out some code.

Routed subnets will be ready in the next 30 days, maybe even in the next 7 days if finish up a few decisions.

Francisco

Thanked by 2nullnothere eva2000
  • MytonnMytonn Member
    edited November 2020

Are you planning to make any discounts on BF? @Francisco

@Mytonn said:
    Are you planning to make any discounts on BF? @Francisco

Nothing planned. We're going to be out of stock by the time BF comes about anyway.

Pending another hardware shipment but I'm also waiting on some changes to our cage in Vegas, and for our Ryzen + Slabs shipment to LU.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Mytonn eva2000
  • Is UDP blocked in the NY location? Is that why no one wants NYC location right now?

• @Francisco Thanks OG

• ..Let us know. Cheers

• I'm supposed to say something like... "Congrats on your 1st post, ME!" or some shit like that. PEACE

• @Y2K_FIX said:
    I'm supposed to say something like... "Congrats on your 1st post, ME!" or some shit like that. PEACE

stop flooding and wait your answer.

Thanked by 2zenki Y2K_FIX

@Y2K_FIX said: Is UDP blocked in the NY location? Is that why no one wants NYC location right now?

No, why would UDP be blocked?

NY has a lot of stock because I sent a lot of extra nodes a couple weeks ago. It'll most likely be out by the end of month.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Y2K_FIX
  • @Francisco - show some love to EU/LU please... I'm hoping that there'll be a nice surprise for New Years though considering circumstances it's hard to predict how things will turn out Covid wise.

@nullnothere said: @Francisco - show some love to EU/LU please... I'm hoping that there'll be a nice surprise for New Years though considering circumstances it's hard to predict how things will turn out Covid wise.

>

I got a pallet waiting on an export label at this point, it's ready to go! Another 10gig is pending install today for bandwidth. Will be looking for a 3rd too.

Trying to get everywhere pretty even in build out before the end of the year :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • @nullnothere said:
    @Francisco - show some love to EU/LU please... I'm hoping that there'll be a nice surprise for New Years though considering circumstances it's hard to predict how things will turn out Covid wise.

I'm waiting for this surprize too :)

@Mytonn said: I'm waiting for this surprize too

Pallet was picked up an hour ago :D

They're pretty sure it'll make the weekend ship window to EU.

Could be racking nodes by next week!

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Y2K_FIX said: Is UDP blocked in the NY location? Is that why no one wants NYC location right now?

No, why would UDP be blocked?

NY has a lot of stock because I sent a lot of extra nodes a couple weeks ago. It'll most likely be out by the end of month.

Francisco

No worries @Francisco... I was just working on my rhetorical question sarcasm know what I mean?. Anyhow folks.. NY all sold out now.. Hence bump the musics for that if needed.. Thanks again OG!! PEACE!!,

DPG ft. Snoop Dogg - New York New York

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited November 2020

@Pixels said: Make sure to let us know when that happens

;)

Should be rolled out to all VM's sometime tomorrow once I finish the provisioning script.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • Are lux slices coming tomorrow?