Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: How much idling VPS do you have ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll: How much idling VPS do you have ?

Hey Guys,

Because Black Friday is around the corner, we will get more offers we can’t simply resist.
I see myself buying this offers and testing them out and end up idling each and everyone after the first day or two.

So, my question is how much VPS do you currently idle ? (Please don’t count those you actually use for production, just those idling).

Thanks.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
How much idling VPS do you have ?
  1. How much idling VPS do you have ?119 votes
    1. 1 - 3
      52.10%
    2. 4 - 6
      21.85%
    3. 7 - 9
        5.04%
    4. 10 or More
      21.01%

Comments

• Lol I end up sometimes with 10 or more just for one provider, depending on the deals. Virmach and racknerd are my biggest examples.

Thanked by 2Ganonk yoursunny
  • Too many

• I only have 3 atm, I specially like idling bare metal/dedis.

• i am very picky about choosing vpses and i don't idle at all.
    most of the time, i run out of my available vpses (mostly in terms of space usage)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Recently started cancelling things I don’t want and now it’s at 6. Previously it was 11

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • 2 atm

• Not many... maybe one or two

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2020

Zero idle VPS, six non-idle including some underutilized.

Four idle dedicated ARMv6/ARMv7/ARMv8 machines, all of which are in my closest. I want to use them but I'm out of power outlets.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Ouji
  • I use all my VPS for "Production" idling. Not "test" idling. Sometimes even "Powered off" for weeks on end!

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

One or two idle VM. Not many.

• I'm having 2 idle vps... virmach and DO.
    Using vultr for production sites!

• Well, there are more idle machines, there should be about 18, there is a virmach promotion of 3.9 dollars an annual payment, and there are also vps bought just to collect that country. In short, the longer the time, the more you want to collect

• Got one that catches mail when my main server is down, but my server was stable enough that the last mail it received was around three months ago. Haven't touched that server after setting up mail, so I guess it counts.

• just 1

• One Virmach idle...

• 11 atm.

• Just one, simply don't want to let it go.

• Avoid idling multiple servers- just get an hourly VPS when needed - BuyVM 2 bucks a month, vultr, lightsail 3.50 a month. Hetzner dirt cheap hourly. Tons at 5 a month. Just makes more sense to wait until you need it and get one that doesnt have drama attached

• only one idle, anynode openvz

• An idling VPS means that it's just up and running but isn't being used for anything? Then 0. Why do people have such VPS?

• webdevwebdev Member
    edited November 2020

@JasonM said:
    I'm having 2 idle vps... virmach and DO.
    Using vultr for production sites!

Why do you idle DO? it's hourly billed...

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@RedSox said:
    An idling VPS means that it's just up and running but isn't being used for anything?

Yes.

Why do people have such VPS?

Yes.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@yoursunny said:

Update: one idle VPS.
    I signed up for EUserv VS2-FREE today.
    With ten-year-old CPU and no IPv4 at all (not even NAT), I haven't figured out what I can use it for.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2020

@yoursunny said: I signed up for EUserv VS2-FREE today.

...could you stop benchmarking it?

@yoursunny said: With ten-year-old CPU and no IPv4 at all (not even NAT), I haven't figured out what I can use it for.

Mine is running imapsync once per day to backup my emails. But... yeah.

Thanked by 2vimalware yoursunny
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2020

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

Update: one idle VPS.
    I signed up for EUserv VS2-FREE today.
    With ten-year-old CPU and no IPv4 at all (not even NAT), I haven't figured out what I can use it for.

I use it for domain check. If any desired domain becomes available, notification is sent through a private message using IRC over Rizon network (output into virtual screen running irssi).

Thanked by 2dahartigan yoursunny
  • I got 8, mostly are yearly so can't be cancelled right now. I will probably cancel 6 of them in the future, currently looking to run my selfhosted shit from my living room.