Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone here use Contabo Missouri?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone here use Contabo Missouri?

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get the Contabo VPS S SSD in Missouri for 6 EUR a month + 5 EUR Setup fee. The specs sound very good, but I am wondering if its too good to be true. I am looking to use it for random development projects, which Im sure will run just fine, but I also want to use it for a private Minecraft server. Has anyone attempted this on a Contabo server before?

Comments

• Well, I will tell you this. There are only a limited number of providers in that location. So if you don't pick Contabo your pretty much looking at nocix.com or wholesaleinternet.net as they are generally the ones providing all the connectivity to KC, Missouri anyways.

That said, Contabo is.... well... Contabo.. they have an interesting track record but at least based on my reading seem to have become more stable in recent past. I don't know that I would specifically recommend them, though hey, if it meets your needs, at that price test it out for a month and see if it works for you?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1jamespeach
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    Well, I will tell you this. There are only a limited number of providers in that location. So if you don't pick Contabo your pretty much looking at nocix.com or wholesaleinternet.net as they are generally the ones providing all the connectivity to KC, Missouri anyways.

That said, Contabo is.... well... Contabo.. they have an interesting track record but at least based on my reading seem to have become more stable in recent past. I don't know that I would specifically recommend them, though hey, if it meets your needs, at that price test it out for a month and see if it works for you?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

The location isn't what attracts me, the location is fine, I am just looking for something in central or eastern US. What attracts me is the high amount of CPU cores, RAM and disk space, for a fairly low price. There are many of these providers in Europe, but not too many in the US. I am looking to get a fairly powerful server for under $10 a month. I likely will test them out, but I really don't want to buy it to find out within seconds that it won't work for me.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2020

@jamespeach said: What attracts me is the high amount of CPU cores, RAM and disk space, for a fairly low price.

Well, speaking from experience... "You get what you pay for" would be what I would expect or "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys". If you approach it with that in mind and set your expectations accordingly, then it might just work fine for you. Though if you go into it expecting 30$ service out of a 6$ server, you may be let down. I would imagine since people are not coming here as often as they used to, to talk down on Contabo, the service is probably pretty usable as long as you keep your expectations for the overall performance based on what you are actually paying and don't obsess about the specifics of the resources they are advertising.

Go into it thinking "Datsun REDI-GO" not "Porche 911" and you should be alright.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @jamespeach said: high amount of CPU cores, RAM and disk space

:D
    The processors are almost useless there, the ram is an old ddr3 and they limit the speed of the disk so if you think you will get ssd then you are wrong.

• Pretty much what everyone else said. I have tried Minecraft at Contabo and while it runs, it is not a flawless experience. You might experience lag spikes and don't expect anything at all from their DDoS "protection". It doesn't exist.

My server is on Germany, not US. And Intel CPU, you might have better luck with their new line of EPYC CPUs, but I am not sure about that.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

See what BF/CM brings, then decide.

• I used it for a few months. Ran windows for a few weeks and was stable and fast. Disk speed isn’t as fast a dedicated nvme SSD but was good enough and amazing for the pricing.

Linux worked Great. Didn’t have any downtime in the 2 months.

• I have been using Contabo for about 7 years, back in the days when they were called 'giga-international'. Of course I use Contabo VPS located in Germany.
    They are ok for me, they have a very good uptime.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Tested a dedi there for a bit. I found the location quite nice. Here's a test I ran from it: https://paste.hostedtalk.io/?f56ddd70660c3e97#774CWzz7qeZ7C9puyyfnEfQfbebixmxKoCW33eS9RU49

Thanked by 1Iroshan464