Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup - What would you choose? G8 vs G9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup - What would you choose? G8 vs G9

ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
edited November 2020 in Help

Hey,

Got a netcup Root Server 8000 G8 with 14 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz and 64GB DDR4 memory, with 2TB SAS disk.

vs

Root Server 8000 G9 with 10 core AMD EPYC 7702P and 64GB DDR4 memory, 2TB SSD disk.

What is the better what do you think? I think to get the new AMD EPYC server instead of the Xeon Gold one. but 14 core vs 10 core...

Thans!

Comments

• TejyTejy Member
    edited November 2020

What's your usage?

• Of course the latter one.

• Go for EPYC for CPU and SSD.

• Definitely G9, you get more SSD space.

• whatever you decide, you should definitely wait about a week with it ;-)

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited November 2020

@Falzo said:
    whatever you decide, you should definitely wait about a week with it ;-)

Do you by any chance know if it's possible to withdraw cancellation? I already have a server with normal pricing, and it would suck to miss BF deals.

• I can't find 8000 G8 server , could you kindly link here for both servers?
    i m also looking a small dedi server with SSD so waiting for BF deals. xD

• I would love a netcup server myself, but they dont accept my non-english adress verification. Why would i get english letters in the mail when i live in a country who doesnt speak english? Sad.

Thanked by 1Coffee
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2020

Pro:

• Higher single core perf
    • Fast SSD Storage

Cons:

• Less cores
    • Lower overall performance due to less cores

But I guess if the cores are not dedicated, does it really matter?
    I mean you get terminated anyway if you abuse them.

So I suggest go for the 2TB SSD.

• isn't root servers provide dedicated cores?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@seenu said:
    isn't root servers provide dedicated cores?

No, a root server can also mean not dedicated cores, just a word used in different ways. But if these cores are dedicated and you need them all, keep the Xeon, otherwise if you need higher single core perf choose the AMD + faster storage.

• @Cabbage said:

@Falzo said:
    whatever you decide, you should definitely wait about a week with it ;-)

Do you by any chance know if it's possible to withdraw cancellation? I already have a server with normal pricing, and it would suck to miss BF deals.

yes afaik you can cancel your cancellation. but tbh I can't remember if it also works in their panel or if you have to open a ticket then.

however I most likely would do the same and cancel now to respect the cancellation period and withdraw if I can't get anything better :-D

Thanked by 1Cabbage
  • @Falzo said:

however I most likely would do the same and cancel now to respect the cancellation period and withdraw if I can't get anything better :-D

how long is their cancellation period? and still can't figure out why ppl keep away from netcup because of calculation period terms.

• @mezoology said:

@Falzo said:

how long is their cancellation period? and still can't figure out why ppl keep away from netcup because of calculation period terms.

I think it differs depending on the product or contract you ordered.

vservers from sales/offers and their RS lineup usually have to be cancelled latest 30 days before the contract period runs out.
    their newer vserver lineup is billed hourly and can be cancelled anytime, it just has to be prepaid and the remainder get refunded.

I think what confuses people most about it, is that the billing period can be different to the contract period, meaning with more expensive products they might bill you monthly or quarterly but you still could be locked into a yearly contract.

however, you can see the earliest possible cancellation date per service within their control panel and if in doubt think of it at least 31 days in advance.

Thanked by 1mezoology
  • You can also go to the cancellation tab and click on Cancel Product Regularly. You get a popup showing when you can cancel and if you get a refund.

To even get more UI confusing -- click on cancel to continue and on abort to cancel the cancellation.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ZweiTiger said:
    Got a netcup Root Server 8000 G8 with 14 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz and 64GB DDR4 memory, with 2TB SAS disk.

vs

Root Server 8000 G9 with 10 core AMD EPYC 7702P and 64GB DDR4 memory, 2TB SSD disk.

What is the better what do you think? I think to get the new AMD EPYC server instead of the Xeon Gold one. but 14 core vs 10 core...

While most (incl. myself) would likely tend to say "that's a no-brainer, take the Epyc of course!" I'd advise to have a closer look both at the processors and at your use case.

The Xeon is (considerably) more expensive per core and its single core performance is just 10 - 15% better than the Epycs (and both are slooow compared to Ryzen Zen 2 or 3).
    The Xeon has double the L2 cache/core of what the Epyc has. On the other hand the Epycs L3 cache makes the Xeons L3 cache look like a toy. That said, L2 cache is by far more important than L3 cache in terms of performance. The Xeon does have AVX 512, the AMD does not (only AVX 256).

So it really comes down to your use case. If it's a typical server workload I'd probably pick the 14 Skylake (Xeon) cores because my experience shows me that with two roughly equally performant (single core) processors the one with more L2 cache clearly wins. As for L3 cache I don't give much about it because with today's processors using (decent speed, say north of 2.6 GHz) DDR4 L2 can be refilled fast enough in most use cases.

But no matter which one you choose both are no bad choice.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Is nested virtualization possible on these Netcup Root Servers?

• @Neoon said:

@seenu said:
    isn't root servers provide dedicated cores?

No, a root server can also mean not dedicated cores, just a word used in different ways. But if these cores are dedicated and you need them all, keep the Xeon, otherwise if you need higher single core perf choose the AMD + faster storage.

On their website they say the cpu cores are dedicated. Anyone else can confirm this? (@Falzo)

If they are dedicated cores, these servers best comparation/similar with another provider in Europe would be the dedicated cpu plans on hetzner cloud, correct?

• @nqservices said: On their website they say the cpu cores are dedicated. Anyone else can confirm this? (@Falzo)

the discussion about the term 'dedicated' and its interpretation arises every now and then... quite some providers mean by that, that you simply can use whatever you get out of it 24/7 (unless doing stuff that's against ToS ofc) and to be fair I would never expect more than that.

a strict technical 'dedication' would more likely mean that a guest gets certain core pinned to it and is the only one who can use that. I heavily doubt that there are many providers out there doing that - and on top of that it still does not mean more power to the guest but rather more complex balancing etc.

then there is the part of cores vs threads, which in the end also comes down to how you want to define what a "virtual" core in the end shall be.

for netcup and there rootservers afaik you can expect to get similar to having the given number in threads rather than cores available all the time (and therefore should see no steal). that's also the main difference to their vserver lineup where it is more shared and won't be able to constantly keep up the performance. you still can use any of that 24/7...

in comparison I agree hetzner most likely is what comes to mind, good thing there is, you can simply spin up any instance and run a benchmark, if you feel like it, because everything is billed hourly. maybe of interest: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/3055661?baseline=4853270

for the initial question of @ZweiTiger I haven't found a geekbench of that 14 vcore netcup thingy (maybe provide one from your existing box?) therefore 10 vs 10 needs to be sufficient: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/4755255?baseline=4837165
    I'd expect the missing 4 cores/threads whatever to put about 2k on top then.

as others said most likely offers overall similar performance but comes down to the use case and if you rather can utilize more threads in parallel or more performance per single thread ;-)

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited November 2020

Hey,

Here is my benchmark:
    Netcup RS8000 G8 SAS
    1 year uptime :)

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2020-11-15 12:30:32 UTC

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU cores: 14
    Frequency: 2294.608 MHz
    RAM: 62G
    Swap: 3.0G
    Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.26.7.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda 1.9T HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    1.910 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    6.191 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    1.427 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 74.2 us / 269.4 us / 480.4 ms / 4.09 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 8.12 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.98 GiB, 1.62 k iops, 406.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 39.10 MiB/s
    2nd run: 24.80 MiB/s
    3rd run: 30.04 MiB/s
    average: 31.31 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4:

Cachefly CDN:         107.64 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        67.73 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   10.94 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      64.00 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         13.86 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2020-11-15 12:33:04 UTC

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU cores: 14
    Frequency: 2294.608 MHz
    RAM: 62G
    Swap: 3.0G
    Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.26.7.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda 1.9T HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    1.766 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    5.635 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    1.267 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 75.3 us / 241.5 us / 56.7 ms / 1.14 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 10.4 k requests in 5.00 s, 2.54 GiB, 2.08 k iops, 520.4 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 38.15 MiB/s
    2nd run: 37.57 MiB/s
    3rd run: 42.15 MiB/s
    average: 39.29 MiB/s

No IPv4 connectivity detected

No IPv6 connectivity detected

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I will choose for the SSD of course :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Falzo said:
    for netcup and there rootservers afaik you can expect to get similar to having the given number in threads rather than cores available all the time (and therefore should see no steal).

Yep, that matches what I experience and think, too. 1 vCore ~ 1 HwT.

• I would love a netcup server myself, but they dont accept my non-english adress verification. Why would i get english letters in the mail when i live in a country who doesnt speak english? Sad.

• Depends on the usage, I'll prefer 14 core than 10 core for hosting sites and apps.
    And always prefer dedicated CPU cores + RAM for hosting serious business.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@thedp said:

Anyone know?

• @thedp said:

@thedp said:

Anyone know?

Technically yes, but at a cost of 2 euro per core. Far cheaper to get more RS servers, or go for another provider who does passthrough: Avoro, PHP-Friends or Hetzner dedis.

Thanked by 3DP Falzo Avoro
  • @thedp said:

@thedp said:

Anyone know?

sorry totally forgot to answer. but can confirm what @AC_Fan wrote. you'll need to ticket in for it, so maybe on the big ones you can try to negotiate - but I heavily doubt they will be flexible in any way on that one.

Thanked by 1DP