Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im paying who ever can migrate my exsi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Im paying who ever can migrate my exsi

Im paying who ever can migrate my exsi from server A to server B please contact me I don't want any downtime!! contact me on telegram i will pay for it @anthraxlinkers

Thanked by 1andrewn

Comments

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2020

Read it as “I am paying whoever can migrate my Ex

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • sorry i think you have the brain enough to know that is Exsi dedicated server... I'm getting tired this freelancer from India telling that they all experinceses about this but the end so sad it was waste of time!!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2020

I am well aware about my cranial abilities, you might mind your acting anal abilities

• anal

• Afaik, the only way for no downtime is having the license with vMotion and shit. And I'd think you'd know this, since you paid $$$$ for two licenses, right?

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited November 2020

@TimboJones said:
    Afaik, the only way for no downtime is having the license with vMotion and shit.

No, vmotion isn't your only option. If both are connected to the same SAN, it's a very simple matter of registering an existing VM on the new host, snapshot including memory on the origin, power off there, and power-on at the destination.

If you don't already have shared storage between the systems (iSCSI or NFS), then other options include ghettoVCB, Veeam Quick Migration, and plenty of others. You can even script snapshots + copying data files with vmkfstools, etc., yourself.

Not interested in the job, though.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I keep thinking about this post when I see no downtime:
    [Rant... sorta] Physically moved a server today...

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

I’m not sure if Exsi supports it, but in theory you could DRBD, let it sync all over in “real time” (network latency going to hurt)... then once they’re identical, shut A off, and turn B on.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rcxb said:

@TimboJones said:
    Afaik, the only way for no downtime is having the license with vMotion and shit.

No, vmotion isn't your only option. If both are connected to the same SAN, it's a very simple matter of registering an existing VM on the new host, snapshot including memory on the origin, power off there, and power-on at the destination.

If you don't already have shared storage between the systems (iSCSI or NFS), then other options include ghettoVCB, Veeam Quick Migration, and plenty of others. You can even script snapshots + copying data files with vmkfstools, etc., yourself.

Power off and power on by definition includes downtime.

• @TheGreenMY said:
    Im paying who ever can migrate my exsi from server A to server B please contact me I don't want any downtime!! contact me on telegram i will pay for it @anthraxlinkers

You can use community edition of Veeam to perform a live migration. Alternately, use vCenter to perform the live migration. PM us if you are interested in having us do this for you.

• @WiredBlade said:

@TheGreenMY said:

You can use community edition of Veeam to perform a live migration. Alternately, use vCenter to perform the live migration. PM us if you are interested in having us do this for you.

This requires paid ESXi, right? To have access to the VMWare API?

• @rcxb said:

@TimboJones said:

There's a $$$ and complexity difference between minimal and no downtime. Since one usually has regular maintenance anyway, one can usually live with 5 minutes downtime to save money. It's only really critical infrastructure that needs "no downtime".

• @TimboJones said:

@WiredBlade said:

@TheGreenMY said:

This requires paid ESXi, right? To have access to the VMWare API?

Yes, it requires a minimum paid version of ESXi due to API restrictions on the free version of ESXi.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • rcxbrcxb Member
    edited November 2020

@Clouvider

Thanked by 6 @adly @yoursunny @netomx @TimboJones @dahartigan @MrH

You're completely wrong here.

A key part of my comment was "snapshot including memory". Anybody with a little ESXi experience should know exactly what that means...

It refers to the check-box seen here:

When you power-on a VM to a snapshot that included the VM's memory, the system starts from the EXACT moment in time the snapshot was taken... Your uptime is unchanged. Everything is running.

If you are quick, your network connections will all still be open, and connected systems will only see a momentary slowdown in their communications (which you have with vMotion as well).

Doing it quickly is the hard part.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2020

@Clouvider said:

@rcxb said:

@TimboJones said:

Power on and power off

Also this guy is literally want to hire people. Why no one interested for the job?

Is it because OP doesn't say how much he is willing to pay?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@yokowasis said:
    Also this guy is literally want to hire people. Why no one interested for the job?

Is it because OP doesn't say how much he is willing to pay?

They need to pay $17K for absolutely no downtime.