Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Specs recommended for cheap VPS to use rclone on?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Specs recommended for cheap VPS to use rclone on?

ViperXViperX Member
edited November 2020 in Help

What kind of specs should i be looking for if I want a VPS to primarily use rclone to transfer 2tb of data from mega.nz to gdrive? Would like to not have to use my own bandwidth and be able to let it run in the background. I've seen some low end boxes ranging from 1gb of ram and 10gb of storage, to 2gb of ram and 25gb of storage and 4tb of bandwidth a month. Would something like this work? I'm new to VPS so looking for some guidance. Thanks

Comments

• Rclone uses very little resources, so all you need is a KVM that has enough bandwidth for your needs.

Thanked by 1ViperX
  • I would launch it on Google Cloud Shell and see how far it can go before being killed.

Thanked by 1ViperX
  • kaz050457kaz050457 Member
    edited November 2020

I don’t think you can do this with rclone mega to gdrive directly.. U need to download the files on your local storage then upload..

Try google colab free and fast you can install rclone..

Thanked by 1ViperX
  • ViperXViperX Member
    edited November 2020

@kaz050457 said:
    I don’t think you can do this with rclone mega to gdrive directly.. U need to download the files on your local storage then upload..

Thank you. I was using Colab for this already but looking for an alternative as Colab isn't always reliable. It doesn't seem to download the files to the colab instance at least as the storage space there stays the same. i was hoping the same would be true for a VPS, although i'm pretty green when it comes to VPS

• jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited November 2020

Edited

• @kaz050457 said:

Wouldn't rclone copy mega: gdrive: work for this use case?

• @definitelyliam said:

@kaz050457 said:

Wouldn't rclone copy mega: gdrive: work for this use case?

Most remotes (but not all - see https://rclone.org/overview/#optional-features) support server side copy.