Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ SSD ★ 384MB KVM - $7.50/YR ★ 16GB Dedicated - $25/MO ★ 2GB KVM - $3/MO ★ DDoS Protected - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ SSD ★ 384MB KVM - $7.50/YR ★ 16GB Dedicated - $25/MO ★ 2GB KVM - $3/MO ★ DDoS Protected

Comments

• Damn, both DE and NL locations are gone for $7.5 deal

• Damn, San Jose is out of stock.

• DE looking glass is not working

http://ffm.lg.virmach.com/

• Good offers as usual from @VirMach

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • @VirMach said: More operating system and ISO options, so you don't have to mount a custom ISO. Now includes Ubuntu 16 w/ Desktop template, Ubuntu 20 ISO, ISO tools, and more.

I dont see Ubuntu 20 reinstall option with any of my VPS, not in panel or Solus
    Should it be available in all old packages?

• @JohnFilch123 said:
    Damn, both DE and NL locations are gone for $7.5 deal

Those locations were sold in few hours or sooner. I saw the offer about 4h after it was published. All gone already.

• @MGarbis said:

@JohnFilch123 said:
    Damn, both DE and NL locations are gone for $7.5 deal

Those locations were sold in few hours or sooner. I saw the offer about 4h after it was published. All gone already.

Shame, I am looking for a cheap VPS around 10-12 US max per year.

• @VirMach is the best VPS provider. My VPSs with them are almost 7 years old, supper fast and no downtime at all.

Thanked by 2VirMach ariq01
  • @tuc said:
    @VirMach is the best VPS provider. My VPSs with them are almost 7 years old, supper fast and no downtime at all.

Thanked by 2Ganonk drxvb
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@Mxl said:

I'm looking into this now.

@VirMach Ticket #374661
    could you help me to remove my account restrictions. I have stated the situation in the Ticket.

There are thousands of people in your situation making tickets about it. We won't close your account for breaking our terms of service but please don't expect us to make accommodations.

And then understand you have mainly special offers with no support, so unless you want me to bill you for 3 hours to search all our logs manually and link all the accounts together and contact everyone to clear up the situation, please just leave it alone and understand why we cannot process it.

@drakula said: DE looking glass is not working

http://ffm.lg.virmach.com/

Expected, we're phasing these out. It took the datacenter nearly a day to fix a memory error there, we can't stay with them when these issues continue to be handled as they do. We've had to phase out servers in the past because they refuse to ship out a RAID controller that requires replacement or SSDs.

Maybe in the future, once we find a suitable partner we can bring back the location.

@atomi said: I dont see Ubuntu 20 reinstall option with any of my VPS, not in panel or Solus

Should it be available in all old packages?

It's under the ISO option(s)

Thanked by 3atomi drakula Mxl
  • any flash sale?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@VirMach said: Expected, we're phasing these out.

Nooooo! :(

If you're looking for a replacement, I'd recomment getting in touch with @meerfarbig (https://meerfarbig.net/?lang=en) - prem network + prem support.

• @VirMach How is the IPMI provided? ([Proxied / firewalled] or VPN?) What measures do you implement to protect the IPMI from external and internal attacks / exploits? Thanks.

• Do any of the locations have IPv6? ( I dont know if any of the DCs are non-CC)

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2020

Small nit. In some places, it's "5 usable IPv4" and other places it's "4 usable IPV4 + IPMI". My preference would be the 4+1 way so it's unambiguous and not going to surprise anyone.

Also, since the SSD256 is annual purchase, does that get the free gigabit port upgrade?

• What do you guys make use of a vps with only 384MB ram?

• @suricloud said:
    What do you guys make use of a vps with only 384MB ram?

VPN, backup server (if high HDD storage), monitoring nodes... and more

• @suricloud said: What do you guys make use of a vps with only 384MB ram?

Small website, backup VPS, etc.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@suricloud said:

I have KVM Lite 384MB. OS is Debian 10 ISO install; Ubuntu installer fails in such small memory.

I have a personal Asterisk running (<10MB). When I'm bored, I dial the bedroom from the bathroom.

Last weekend I added a QUIC-to-UDP proxy written in Python (50MB). It works with Chromium's experimental QuicTransport.

I still have 200MB RAM left, but "0.33 vCPU" would soon become a bottleneck if I add more services.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @yoursunny said:

@suricloud said:

I have KVM Lite 384MB. OS is Debian 10 ISO install; Ubuntu installer fails in such small memory.

I have a personal Asterisk running (<10MB). When I'm bored, I dial the bedroom from the bathroom.

Last weekend I added a QUIC-to-UDP proxy written in Python (50MB). It works with Chromium's experimental QuicTransport.

I still have 200MB RAM left, but "0.33 vCPU" would soon become a bottleneck if I add more services.

Does it actually fail? Or are you using the ISO instead of the image they provide?

I have this KVM and another old KVM Lite 384MB with Virmach and they both run Ubuntu just fine.

• @TimboJones said: Also, since the SSD256 is annual purchase, does that get the free gigabit port upgrade?

Looks that way, when I ordered one.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • You may state clearly CPU usage policy, that was big turn off from @virmach

Thanked by 1MrH
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Edmond said:

@yoursunny said:

Does it actually fail? Or are you using the ISO instead of the image they provide?

The Ubuntu image will work, but I prefer to use ISO so that I don't have to cleanup unnecessary packages.
    Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 20 are same for me.

@AlwaysSkint said:

@TimboJones said: Also, since the SSD256 is annual purchase, does that get the free gigabit port upgrade?

Looks that way, when I ordered one.

Yes, you can select that option. It's mainly there to prevent abuse a little bit as a lot of people order SSD256 for a month just to send out all the traffic in a couple of hours.

@gks said:
    You may state clearly CPU usage policy, that was big turn off from @virmach

If you're planning on maxing out CPU, you would need premium KVM with high CPU option. Otherwise, you're probably part of the 99% of people that will be just fine.

@yoursunny said: The Ubuntu image will work, but I prefer to use ISO so that I don't have to cleanup unnecessary packages.

Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 20 are same for me.

I've seen people run CentOS 8 on 384MB but not on 256MB (very rarely.) Debian 9 should definitely work on 384MB, but I'm not sure about Debian 10. I've personally run Ubuntu 18 at some stage/to some degree with 384MB, but not Ubuntu 20.

I do know a lot of these will run on lower memory but they will not correctly update on the same memory and you might have to make a temporary swap file and update it in bursts (a few packages at a time for the bigger ones, after viewing changelog.) Keep in mind I'm not an expert at doing this as I usually work with at least 4GB or so of memory.

@TimboJones said: Small nit. In some places, it's "5 usable IPv4" and other places it's "4 usable IPV4 + IPMI". My preference would be the 4+1 way so it's unambiguous and not going to surprise anyone.

@Hxxx said: @VirMach How is the IPMI provided? ([Proxied / firewalled] or VPN?) What measures do you implement to protect the IPMI from external and internal attacks / exploits? Thanks.

We don't stop you from binding the last IP and breaking IPMI because when we re-install it, the IPMI is reconfigured anyway. So you could use all IPs, or you could leave the last one to be used by IPMI. In some cases, you might get lucky and IPMI might be on its own /30. This happens more often on /29 subnet servers.

IPMI is protected with a nullroute; we had ColoCrossing implement this a while back. You lift the nullroute for 4 hours at a time. I'm pretty sure you can also re-place the nullroute sooner but don't quote me on that.

We elected not to put IPMI on private IPs as it would require we set up VPNs for everyone, deliver them together, and teach people how to use it. CC (at least for us) is also notorious for being a complete mess when it comes to internal IPs, with a lot of them being routed incorrectly or not being re-routed after maintenance, or two servers sharing addresses when they're in different cabinets (and then we'd have to make sure the VPN is in the same cabinet which may not always be possible.)

@brueggus said: Nooooo!

If you're looking for a replacement, I'd recomment getting in touch with @meerfarbig (https://meerfarbig.net/?lang=en) - prem network + prem support.

We'd probably need to find a partner that's available in as many locations as possible and the best one for us may not always also share Frankfurt as a location they offer. We'll check them out at an appropriate time though.

• GanonkGanonk Member
    edited November 2020

hello @VirMach , how about it

SSD256PLUSLAUNCH

@yoursunny said: I still have 200MB RAM left, but "0.33 vCPU" would soon become a bottleneck if I add more services.

Clarification here as well, if you're on let's say 2.5GHz node then it'd be 0.4 of a core AUP, and you can still burst higher for some time before our system even starts checking in. I feel like we're in a position where people think our AUP is much more strict than it just because of the published rates. Those are meant to be the minimum level at which we can take action, as in you're protected if it's underneath but that does not mean we will be unreasonable in enforcement. Unless you are overloading a node, your first warning will always be just that, a warning, with no penalties.

Most nodes have plenty of CPU left over. If they're beneath a certain level, then our system allows everyone to use more.

I would just recommend using it freely as required, as long as you are sure your script is not being bottlenecked by CPU (so hovering at 80-90% is fine) and if you receive a warning just pay attention to it and then you can assume that usage should be reduced moving forward.

I'll see if we can publish more clear levels and actions soon, we've just not done that because we don't want people taking advantage of it in an abusive manner (such as CPU minimum and auto throttling it given our exact figures, because then we'd have to modify it if too many people do that.) It was never our intention to curb non-abusive usage but it seems like too many people are afraid of it as it is currently explained.

@Ganonk said:
    hello @VirMach , how about it

SSD256PLUSLAUNCH

That's most likely auto-expired by now. If not, it's still active and you should use it if you're an existing customer and read all the terms attached to the promotion.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @VirMach, will you have E3-HDL back in stock any time soon?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Nice to see your new offer. Goodluck @VirMach

• Can I install my own OS without having to pay $20 setup fee?