Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clearnet proxy -> onion hidden service -> good vps = (at least) better anonymity?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clearnet proxy -> onion hidden service -> good vps = (at least) better anonymity?

Hi everyone,

this is more a reflexion, and not necessarily something I do / I will test.

I was wondering how one could protect his data for example against DMCA in a more effective way.

Let's say you can't afford a DMCA free VPS or you are forced to use a VPS in a non DMCA free country, but you want to share with others things that are copyright protected.

If you create an onion hidden service on your VPS and you provide your friends/users a proxified address, something like tor2web, won't this be a strong enought protection for your files?

I mean, how could someone detect where are the files stored?

_My premises:

• Tor2Web can (and is) used also to do bad things, and the anonimity is provided only to the hidden service as the user IP can (and will) be logged, probably
  • This is not to fully and completely protect against DMCA or law infringiment, but to protect more than a plain website that expose your VPS IP
  • This is just curiosity, as I personally don't and won't do this 'cause I don't need this_

Comments

• Do you realise how low your speeds will be in tor network and you will Also be f"cling everyone using tor by streaming 4k vr p*rn

• @codelock said:
    Do you realise how low your speeds will be in tor network and you will Also be f"cling everyone using tor by streaming 4k vr p*rn

LMAO sure it would be useless to do that, I was thinking more for example ebooks or mp3 files or reasonable things, who the hell would use tor for hq videos

• @thecookingsenpai said:

@codelock said:
    Do you realise how low your speeds will be in tor network and you will Also be f"cling everyone using tor by streaming 4k vr p*rn

LMAO sure it would be useless to do that, I was thinking more for example ebooks or mp3 files or reasonable things, who the hell would use tor for hq videos

If you are just sharing it with friend just require login and no one would know what you are doing or install wireguard on the server and access the content only inside the tunnel. No provider will even givve a fu*k .

• @codelock said:

@thecookingsenpai said:

@codelock said:

If you are just sharing it with friend just require login and no one would know what you are doing or install wireguard on the server and access the content only inside the tunnel. No provider will even givve a fu*k .

while this is true (i'm not talking of my personal use case, btw), there are cases where one is sharing a lot of files with a lot of people, (e.g. a facebook group, where people could be really tech-ignorant) so one could share with them xxxxxxxxxx.onion.pet and they find there all the files they need.

I stress this out, it's not a real use case (at least for now) but I would like to know if this could be a good method of protecting the location of the files (obv not classified files that trigger goverments etc.) from being closed or receive a dmca notice

• if sharing file is the only goal, use google drive and cloudflare. no need to get any vps.
    https://github.com/maple3142/GDIndex

• @DrSlime said:
    if sharing file is the only goal, use google drive and cloudflare. no need to get any vps.

well I used two google drives and both time I got my content removed
    I decided i won't use gdrive anymore for this kind of files

• DrSlimeDrSlime Member
    edited November 2020

@thecookingsenpai said:

@DrSlime said:
    if sharing file is the only goal, use google drive and cloudflare. no need to get any vps.

well I used two google drives and both time I got my content removed
    I decided i won't use gdrive anymore for this kind of files

I guess you shared those files directly.
    You need to use the Cloudflare with rclone script to cover your google account.
    When things happen, you only lose your Cloudflare account.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited November 2020

What you need instead is a port-forwarding VPN chain as TPB does. They were all just good while VPN was brought to court by Rights Alliance to hand customer data (which did not exist), and eventually ended up with the case dropped in favor of the provider since they had nothing to give out.