Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CMS - Java or PHP? Liferay or Joomla? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CMS - Java or PHP? Liferay or Joomla?

2»

Comments

• Joomla is, now, the most powerful CMS with a huge (far more third party extensions than any other CMS) number of functions, templates and users. It is very stable, very mature, very secure and very flexible. It is easy to learn, you can deploy your own scripts easily or rent a programmer for almost nothing to deploy them for you.

Drupal is also good but with much less extensions to use and, IMHO, with less functionality than Joomla (i have a lot of production sites on Joomla and two couples of Drupal sites).

Wordpress is good for small to medium sites that have no big needs and must be more friendly for end-users that don't know much about internet, computers and updating content.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@jvnadr said:
    Joomla is, now, the most powerful CMS with a huge (far more third party extensions than any other CMS) number of functions, templates and users. It is very stable, very mature, very secure and very flexible. It is easy to learn, you can deploy your own scripts easily or rent a programmer for almost nothing to deploy them for you.

Drupal is also good but with much less extensions to use and, IMHO, with less functionality than Joomla (i have a lot of production sites on Joomla and two couples of Drupal sites).

Wordpress is good for small to medium sites that have no big needs and must be more friendly for end-users that don't know much about internet, computers and updating content.

How many of those Joomla extensions are free? I believe Joomla is more commercial oriented in that respect.

I wouldn't call it the most powerful. I think Drupal is far more scalable and has less limitations.

Joomla seems to fall in the middle somewhere between Wordpress and Drupal. A lot of web developers seem to like it. I've read it's not so good at SEO without a lot of tweaking which is a big negative for me.

• @sman

More of half extensions in Joomla site are free. And the paid ones, are really cheap and most of them great value.
    As of the limitations, I don't know drupal as good as joomla, but Joomla is really scalable and very mature in this 3.x versions.
    As of SEO's, there is not so much need for too tweaking for SEO. Some of my installations out of the box are very search engine friendly, really! It depends on the content, the extensions, the structure of the template and others.

• About Joomla:
    I did not like it.
    I installed one template. After a short time a new VERSION and when I updated the Joomla to the new version (from 3.0 to 3.1 if I am not wrong)... template did not work anymore.
    WHAT?
    Yes, it is what you read.

I have a VERY BIG difficult to understand how to manage the templates, too.

For me, it is not "EASY".
    Wordpress is Easy.

Joomla is not (for me).

For this reason I am trying to find another option.
    Maybe you know a very very good tutorial that teach you to be a kind of JEDI of Joomla that I have never read. Maybe this reason I do not have interest to use Joomla.

:)

• Joomla is easy compare to Liferay

• Hahaha.
    Yes, you are right.
    :)

• Joomla is likely the shittiest CMS in existance, the query it runs every time to make up the index is ...downright retarded.

And, it's more or less almost as full of holes as Wp too, sadly.

• EvoEvo Member

@Wintereise, in my opinion the flexibility of any big CMS comes with a price - the price for the higher resource usage and long queries for small and simple tasks.

In order for that flexibility to be achieved, a lot of complex tasks need to be run for even just a simple index page. And, on the other hand, that same flexibility, empowers you to add more complex functions to your website faster and easier.

That problem is not only related to Joomla, but to all the "big" CMSs in that range.

That's why, when you're choosing CMS, you have to select it based on what you expect your website to do, and which one you are more comfortable with.

@DragonDF , don't limit yourself just to these 2, try all of them - they are free:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@Evo said:
    Wintereise, in my opinion the flexibility of any big CMS comes with a price - the price for the higher resource usage and long queries for small and simple tasks.

In order for that flexibility to be achieved, a lot of complex tasks need to be run for even just a simple index page. And, on the other hand, that same flexibility, empowers you to add more complex functions to your website faster and easier.

That problem is not only related to Joomla, but to all the "big" CMSs in that range.

That's why, when you're choosing CMS, you have to select it based on what you expect your website to do, and which one you are more comfortable with.

DragonDF , don't limit yourself just to these 2, try all of them - they are free:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

That is why you should install APC-PECL php cache. Does wonders for a busy complex Drupal site. Would probably help a big wordpress site as well.

I run what I would consider some fairly complex Drupal sites and they run smooth as glass on very minimal VPSs. However, I won't claim it is going to be as light on resources as WP because I'm pretty sure it won't be.