Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hestiacp (mail?) not playing nice with GMX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hestiacp (mail?) not playing nice with GMX

Before some smartass comes around and says this is not their support forum etc, yea yea I know but I'd rather not sign up to different forums when we have people here who use it and as far as I know @Falzo is somehow tied to the project as well.

Now to the issue. When ever I send email to gmail and outlook.com it works just fine, emails come trough without no issue. However when ever I try to send an email to GMX it instantly bounces back. I fixed that with smtp.domain.com A record to the IP but now it doesn't deliver. It doesn't bounce back either.

Maybe someone has had this issue and could direct me to the issue and how could I solve it.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

Comments

• Maybe your ip is blacklisted in gmx?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited November 2020

Nope, checked the blacklists all over the place. Passes green just fine. And I'd think if GMX has it blacklisted Gmail and Outlook would too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2020

So they accept the email and then it never arrives in the inbox? Took a page from the Microsoft handbook did they?

If that's the case and your email looks solid with mail-tester.com I'd say you have an uphill battle and you were right not to go to hestiacp forum as it likely has no relation whatsoever. It's likely a content filter.

I've heard this about GMX only once though and that was from you just now. Make sure you're ruling out your settings at GMX, any software clients you have connecting to that address that might download and delete mail from server, etc.

Thanked by 1serv_ee
    edited November 2020

The next step is to contact their support and we both know that's going to be a waste of time, so be extra sure you're ruling out any user error.

• @jar said:
    So they accept the email and then it never arrives in the inbox? Took a page from the Microsoft handbook did they?

If that's the case and your email looks solid with mail-tester.com I'd say you have an uphill battle and you were right not to go to hestiacp forum as it likely has no relation whatsoever. It's likely a content filter.

I've heard this about GMX only once though and that was from you just now. Make sure you're ruling out your settings at GMX, any software clients you have connecting to that address that might download and delete mail from server, etc.

Yeah it now sends just fine but never arrives in the inbox nor the spam folder in GMX. No issues with other emails.

I'll take a look at the link and see how (if) I can improve things.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar Thanks for the link before. It had nothing to do with Hestia but me being an actual idiot. Fixed the errors now and gonna wait a little to see if it improves.

Still strange that all the emails went trough to gmail and outlook and GMX just won't accept them lol

Thanked by 1jar
  • heya! sorry for the late reply...

maybe some additional input: GMX belongs to united internet ag, which is also 1and1, web.de and a few more. not a small player at least in Germany and they do use some own blacklists as well afaik. they can be quite ... stupid about it too.
    in my last run-in with them, they sent my IP onto CBL over a single forwarded (spam)-mail from a client.

I think they sometimes also use some sort of weird greylisting, as I also had mails coming through a day later and such.

can you verifiy, that your mails really have been sent and not just stuck in the queue? for those which returned immediately also the return code/message would be of interest to narrow it down further...

• Thanks for getting back to me. However like I mentioned this had nothing to do with Hestia as a whole but me forgetting to input TXT records in OVH domain records. There was an GMX link with the information when it bounced back and it seemed to be really strict with everything before allowing to send in emails. I've no fixed the records issue and it works perfectly.

Still I wonder if Gmail and Outlook.com have different rules to allow emails trough cause those worked without any issues. Same with two local ones.

Maybe a mod or someone could change the topic title as I was too quick to pull the trigger to name it and as it turned out it's my own fault to say the least.

Thanked by 1jar

@serv_ee said:
    Still I wonder if Gmail and Outlook.com have different rules to allow emails trough cause those worked without any issues. Same with two local ones.

They do. I always like to tell my customers something like "Every email service rejects inbound email under certain conditions, and they're all using different software/algorithms to do it so generally no two are alike."

It's hilarious some of the things Google puts their foot down about in comparison to what's in my Gmail spam box every 15 minutes.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • nemnem Member, Host Rep

@jar said:
    they're all using different software/algorithms to do it so generally no two are alike.

Worse yet, none of it gets publicized because a patent eventually expires whereas trade secrets do not. Spam filtering algorithms are typically kept secret beyond IP consideration because spammers give zero regard to law as it is. Publicizing how your algorithm works, especially on the scale of GMail, will only result in more stringent filtering policies.

In these situations, I look at the mail log. If the recipient reports a 2xx my job is done. Email is a contract and in email parlance a 2xx response is acceptance of said email. How the receiver disposes of the mail is up to them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • GMX block 10's of millions of IP addresses, entire ASNs including ALL of DigitalOcean, Vultr etc.
    I block all mail from GMX and they block all mail from me.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @AndyGee said:
    GMX block 10's of millions of IP addresses, entire ASNs including ALL of DigitalOcean, Vultr etc.

Don't necropost (not to mention that you obviously didn't read the thread carefully)

No congrats on your first post

• @angstrom said:

@AndyGee said:
    GMX block 10's of millions of IP addresses, entire ASNs including ALL of DigitalOcean, Vultr etc.

Don't necropost (not to mention that you obviously didn't read the thread carefully)

No congrats on your first post

50 posts needed for Nano something something