Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to monitor a VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to monitor a VPS ?

BartokBartok Member
edited August 2013 in Help

When buying budget VPS, the main concern is possible oversell to cover the server cost. Then, the server is vulnerable due to the abuse of others. To judge about a good provider, it is needed to constantly monitor the VPS performance.

Two factors are of utmost importance: CPU and Network speed

I am thinking of putting a straightforward script on cron job to regularly record the performance speed.

But what can be a standard script (not too heavy to kill the VPS, not too light to ignore system loads).

And what can be a good way to monitor the network connection speed, as the key is outbound traffic and we must sure that the rate-limiting in not the other server.

NOTE: Thanks for useful comments, but my question is to monitor one single VPS as a client, not to monitor the server to find abusers. As a user I want to know if the performance of the VPS I've bought is constantly good.

Comments

• There's also IO speed. Realistically the provider should be monitoring the servers and dealing with it. If you have problems, raise a ticket.

• Munin, collectd, statsd --> graphite, zabbix, sar, vnstat, iostat.

You might have used google for this one.

• VPS Hosts often use software host node side to monitor abuse, It wouldn't be practical to expect users to monitor all them things as an abuser isnt exactly going to admit he/she is abusing.

Nodewatch is a quite good one for Network Abuse. iotop/top an other simple linux checks can reveal CPU abuse an disk Io abuse.

• scalextreme/new relic can do this for you.

• xsetxset Member

@vpssimon Nodewatch is OpenVZ only :(

• You didnt specify which platform you want to monitor so i just assumed the default openvz is a good starting point, But them types of services are avaialble for all platforms just diff project names lol.

• observium...

• dnwkdnwk Member

by actually have an eye on it.

• @dnwk said:
    by actually have an eye on it.

exactly, I just want to keep my eyes open, when I'm sleeping ;)

• xsetxset Member

@vpssimon KVM monitoring service?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Bartok said:
    exactly, I just want to keep my eyes open, when I'm sleeping ;)

Or have a nanny to take care of your VPS

Thanked by 1VPSSimon
  • @dnwk said:
    Or have a nanny to take care of your VPS

since my VPS comes as LED, I need to find a budget nanny ;)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

We monitor our VPS through AutoBoot

(AutoBoot is not only monitoring VPS but If VPS goes offline then our AutoBoot will automatically start VPS)

AutoBoot Function:

1. Monitoring

2. Notification (If down then notify user through email or sms)

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    We monitor our VPS through AutoBoot

(AutoBoot is not only monitoring VPS but If VPS goes offline then our AutoBoot will automatically start VPS)

AutoBoot Function:

1. Monitoring

2. Notification (If down then notify user through email or sms)

Boring :)

• Try Nagios.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Nagios or Zabbix is major overkill if you just want to monitor one or two VPSs which btw both will require their own VPS to run at a minimum. I would look at some of the online services.