Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advantages and disadvantages of using reseller webhosting account?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advantages and disadvantages of using reseller webhosting account?

So far I have been using a shared webhosting account for several websites and projects that I have. I was wondering whether it would be better if I get a reseller account for myself (no real clients). So, besides somehow higher price for the same resources, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a reseller account vs simple webhosting account?

Comments

• Realistically the main advantage is going to be the ability to have one account per website, should increase security, better resources shared etc.

Main disadvantage as mentioned is most likely the additional cost of a reseller account especially if you use cPanel.

• lpnlpn Member

@WSCallum said:
    Realistically the main advantage is going to be the ability to have one account per website, should increase security, better resources shared etc.

Main disadvantage as mentioned is most likely the additional cost of a reseller account especially if you use cPanel.

As I have never had a reseller account -- are there any advanced settings that I need to set up if I get such an account, or in most cases I would be fine with whatever the host had already set? Especially in terms of security or updates.

• @lpn said:

@WSCallum said:
    Realistically the main advantage is going to be the ability to have one account per website, should increase security, better resources shared etc.

As I have never had a reseller account -- are there any advanced settings that I need to set up if I get such an account, or in most cases I would be fine with whatever the host had already set? Especially in terms of security or updates.

Not really, everything in terms of security and updates for the server is taken care of by your provider.

• @lpn said:
    So far I have been using a shared webhosting account for several websites and projects that I have. I was wondering whether it would be better if I get a reseller account for myself (no real clients). So, besides somehow higher price for the same resources, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a reseller account vs simple webhosting account?

Advantages of a reseller account are that you get multiple accounts for your clients or to separate out projects but other than that and the increased cost you sounds like you have had a shared account and have all your domains projects listed in there if thats the case... your not going to gain anything but a deeper hole in your pocket from the increased costs of a reseller account

Chip

• Other than the shared IP (which would generally be the same for reseller or shared), is there any way for visitors to determine what other domains are hosted on the same plan? I don't think it is, but all of you know much more than I do.

• Resources aren't all physical. One thing you should look out for is CloudLinux limits (if applicable).

For example with HostMantis one of their higher up resellers you get 50EP, 70MB/s I/O and 150% CPU but when you create a sub-account you're assigned 30EP, 50MB/s I/O and 100% for each user.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited October 2020

Thanks everyone! Now if only there is regular shared webhosting stock at Buyshared :)

• I'm a big advocate of if you have multiple sites you should invest in a reseller account. For backups, depending on how you do them, having the accounts separate makes things much easier. If you sell a site, it's much easier to just give them the password and make backups and it isn't tied to another site.

As a reseller you have your reseller panel and you can get into each account from one place so managing isn't any more complicated.

Of course you have the security standpoint. If someone hacks one site, it doesn't necessarily mean all of your sites will get hacked if they are in separate accounts. If you have them all in one place someone gets in once and destroys all of your sites at once and now you have to fix multiple sites instead of just one.

You also generally end up getting more resources on a reseller account then a regular hosting account.