Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostsailor false advertisements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostsailor false advertisements

Please note that this is a personal experience, and not applicable for all situations.

I bought a Special XEN Lieutenant server, end yet my worst experience so far among the VPS providers. The advertisement was saying that they offer a 1 GBit port and solid cpus. However, booting the server, ssh connection, autocomplete and everything was unbelievably slow and checked the connectivity. Their support is somewhat fast to respond, but without any viable solutions. They moved me to another node as a "fix" but it was a worse server with lower end configurations. They told me the backup process is causing this slowliness. They may be overselling their resources, and does not seem reliable to me. For the best part, they refuse to refund. Despite what live-chat says, they refuse to refund on promo plans (which is basically most of their plans).

Here is the benchmark result for their server if you want to have a look at.

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2020-10-20 18:27:19 UTC
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
CPU cores: 2
Frequency: 2666.764 MHz
RAM: 1.9Gi
bash: line 156: swapon: command not found
Swap: -
Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
xvda1 65G SSD
xvda2 2G SSD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
4.363 seconds
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
7.660 seconds
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
2.325 seconds

ioping: seek rate
min/avg/max/mdev = 142.8 us / 35.0 ms / 482.5 ms / 85.5 ms
ioping: sequential read speed
generated 5.89 k requests in 5.07 s, 1.44 GiB, 1.16 k iops, 290.5 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
1st run: 84.69 MiB/s
2nd run: 136.38 MiB/s
3rd run: 103.95 MiB/s
average: 108.34 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
your IPv4: 194.36.190.xxxx

Cachefly CDN: 101.11 MiB/s
Leaseweb (NL): 104.34 MiB/s
Softlayer DAL (US): 11.04 MiB/s
Online.net (FR): 66.78 MiB/s
OVH BHS (CA): 12.64 MiB/s

And here is their "fixed" server.

benchmark timestamp: 2020-10-22 06:44:28 UTC
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4108 CPU @ 1.80GHz
CPU cores: 2
Frequency: 1795.854 MHz
RAM: 1.9Gi
bash: line 156: swapon: command not found
Swap: -
Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
xvda1 65G SSD
xvda2 2G SSD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
5.493 seconds
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
9.018 seconds
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
2.565 seconds

ioping: seek rate
min/avg/max/mdev = 179.1 us / 405.3 us / 124.3 ms / 1.63 ms
ioping: sequential read speed
generated 9.44 k requests in 5.00 s, 2.30 GiB, 1.89 k iops, 471.8 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
1st run: 176.43 MiB/s
2nd run: 182.15 MiB/s
3rd run: 184.06 MiB/s
average: 180.88 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
your IPv4: 188.116.36.xxxx

Cachefly CDN: 108.11 MiB/s
Leaseweb (NL): 91.88 MiB/s
Softlayer DAL (US): 10.93 MiB/s
Online.net (FR): 96.92 MiB/s
OVH BHS (CA): 25.18 MiB/s
No IPv6 connectivity detected

Final verdict: I will stay away from them after that experience and certainly does not recommend them.

Comments

• It's a $4/month. You are on intel xeon silver with ssd. Sorry, what are your expectations? Dedicated cpu and eth line with nvme as storage?

• zenkizenki Member
    edited October 2020

EDIT: I read it wrong, I am stupid :D

• @hostfactor said:
    It's a $4/month. You are on intel xeon silver with ssd. Sorry, what are your expectations? Dedicated cpu and eth line with nvme as storage?

Of course not. Dude. $4/mo I'd expect an dedicated epyc box. Duh.

• @HyperK9 said:
    The network is pretty bad if its on a 1G port

It isn't. It maxes out on a CDN nearby and almost maxes out to NL or France.

• BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

At $4/month (or $12.99 original price) I'd expect that 1G port to be shared, and also a lot of noisy neighbors.

You get what you pay for.

@furkey said: They may be overselling their resources

Obviously they are. It'd be impossible for them to make proper profit if they gave you dedicated resources at that price.

• I can confirm OPs post. I am their customer for more than 6 months now and my request to resolve poor SSD performance was ignored by their support when I purchased their Romania KVM for a first time. I've purchased another KVM some days ago and apt upgrade still takes around 30 minutes to complete, yeah, this problem never got any resolution. They are definitely overselling.
    Avoid.

Thanked by 1legalstuff
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited October 2020

Hmm? AFAIK, HostSailor's KVMs and Xens are not on SSDs, but their VZs are.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Tagging @HostSailor

Thanked by 1prowlersgg
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue.

• never heard of them.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@hostfactor said:
    It's a $4/month. You are on intel xeon silver with ssd. Sorry, what are your expectations? Dedicated cpu and eth line with nvme as storage?

I personally will expect 1TB RAM, unlimited NVMe with at least 24 dedicated core processor.

People do buy Skoda cars and expecting to get a Ferrari.

Thanked by 2Frameworks kazawiki
  • @WebProject said:

@hostfactor said:

Agree.

• Moral of the story, you get what you play for.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@WebProject said:

@hostfactor said:

I personally will expect 1TB RAM, unlimited NVMe with at least 24 dedicated core processor.

Advertising Skoda cars as Ferrari is still wrong. Regardless the price.

But I still don't get which part is the false advertisement.

• I've used it twice before, and one of the Dutch rooms is down almost every week, and it's completely unusable in Romania

Thanked by 2legalstuff furkey
  • Just to enlighten those idiots who try to be funny here with their skoda/ferrari shit, which is completely irrelevant in this specific case.

Here https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/ we pay $3.50/mo for 1C / 1024 RAM / SSD and get excellent iops without bullshit, also great network performance. We get what we pay for.

Here https://hostsailor.com/vps-hosting/kvm-vps/ we pay $3.99/mo for 2C / 512 RAM / HDD and get the worst iops (even for hdd) and network performance ever, very similar to alpharacks (hope you remember). We don't get what we pay for.

Understand? ¿Entendido?

• AndruAndru Member
    edited October 2020

@goodwin said:
    Just to enlighten those idiots who try to be funny here with their skoda/ferrari shit, which is completely irrelevant in this specific case.

Here https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/ we pay $3.50/mo for 1C / 1024 RAM / SSD and get excellent iops without bullshit, also great network performance. We get what we pay for.

Here https://hostsailor.com/vps-hosting/kvm-vps/ we pay $3.99/mo for 2C / 512 RAM / HDD and get the worst iops (even for hdd) and network performance ever, very similar to alpharacks (hope you remember). We don't get what we pay for.

Understand? ¿Entendido?

Its a huge market. Some providers are good some not so good, some gives you better price/quality ratio.. so on.

• @goodwin said:
    Just to enlighten those idiots who try to be funny here with their skoda/ferrari shit, which is completely irrelevant in this specific case.

Understand? ¿Entendido?

But who is the idiot? The ones stating the obvious or the ones that pay for really bad performance when they can get good performance elsewhere?

One could argue that BuyVM actually delivers more then what you pay for, and Hostsailor delivers exactly what you pay for, but that is a different discussion.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • @hostfactor said:

Thank you sir for a such useful comment! Anything else you would like to add in regards to hostsailor or you will stop bringing offtopic?

Yes it's a huge market but this topic is a review on one specific provider and FYI reviews exist to warn those who seek information on some specific provider.

"You get what you pay for" is a complete nonsense in this case, because you don't.

Thanked by 1RecD
  • And what is wrong with that specs/results ? (FYI there are a lot of providers who limit SSD IO.. hmm contabo?)
    Where is "Hostsailor false advertisements" ?
    Reviews should not include "x provider is better than this", just my oppionion mate.

• Honestly, even their Anti-DDoS are somehow false, if someone do bad jokes (doing packets) then they suspend that server. Anyway, overall it's just $4 lost :)

• OK, don't cry over spilled milk then.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rcy026 said: One could argue that BuyVM actually delivers more then what you pay for,

Much like the IRS you can cut me a cheque for whatever sized donation you'd like to contribute :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2Frameworks MaxKVM
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@goodwin said:

@hostfactor said:

Thank you sir for a such useful comment! Anything else you would like to add in regards to hostsailor or you will stop bringing offtopic?

Yes it's a huge market but this topic is a review on one specific provider and FYI reviews exist to warn those who seek information on some specific provider.

"You get what you pay for" is a complete nonsense in this case, because you don't.

How about you telling us which one is considered false advertising?

I mean, what did they advert, and yet you don't get it? Did they promise you certain iops?

Are they bad and not worth the money? Yes, according to your opinion. It's your opinion, no problem. But when you accuse someone false advertisement you have to come with a proof. They promise something but they failed to deliver.

For example they promise you 2 core, but you only get 1 core.

• By false advertisement I meant uptime, money refund policy and what they tell on live chat.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@furkey said:
    By false advertisement I meant uptime, money refund policy and what they tell on live chat.

Sorry, not defending the provider or anything but what about uptime? You just bought the VPS and based on your benchmark results, it was just 2 days before you posted this thread. So you're saying within 2 days your server has been going up and down, being all unstable?

Now with regards to refunds, have you read their ToS prior to purchasing their services?

Refunds: HostSailor offers a 14-day money-back guarantee. A refund claim must be made within the first 14 days starting from the Service Commencement Date. This policy does not cover costs for any add-on packages, domain name registration, SSL certificates, and promo/discount offers, etc., and it is only applicable to new HostSailor customers. No re-subscribers are entitled to request a refund under the foregoing provisions.

HostSailor will not refund any payment made with encrypted currency (namely BTC) to the sender through the same payment method but to the PayPal account of the verified User or as the HostSailor client account credits.

HostSailor reserves the right to revoke the money-back guarantee if we believe that a User is abusing the refund policy offered in goodwill or if the User is abusing HostSailor’s Terms of Service.

It will take at least 5 to 10 business days to process a refund request.

So if you've been denied a refund, it's most likely because..

1. You're not a new customer
    2. You paid for your services with crypto. (however they will refund to your PayPal instead or in-store credits)
    3. You've abused their refund policy and/or ToS, as stated.

Which? If neither of the above, the least you could do is provide a screenshot of your discussion with @HostSailor's live chat.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Do not ask logical questions to a PMSing girl.

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt bdl
  • @furkey said:
    By false advertisement I meant uptime, money refund policy and what they tell on live chat.

And what did they promise you that you don't get?

• Oversold resurces, regardless the price !

• Just ignore that guy with a 'troll' status called Deank and his fandogsboys who troll here for no reason, those idiots are not even hostsailor customers and do not really get what people complain here about.

I don't mind being scammed like that just to filter out bad providers, I sometimes buy VPS on purpose from shit providers just to fulfill my personal providers black list and to confirm the point of others. In that case I bought hostsailor on purpose just to confirm OPs point, which turned out to be valid. I just shared my experience with others, which is a lot more useful than trolling and calling 'PMS'ers those who share their experience.

Thanks to everyone else who didn't troll here and shared their experience with Hostsailor.

Thanked by 1furkey
  • @goodwin said:
    Just ignore that guy with a 'troll' status called Deank and his fandogsboys who troll here for no reason, those idiots are not even hostsailor customers and do not really get what people complain here about.

I don't mind being scammed like that just to filter out bad providers, I sometimes buy VPS on purpose from shit providers just to fulfill my personal providers black list and to confirm the point of others. In that case I bought hostsailor on purpose just to confirm OPs point, which turned out to be valid. I just shared my experience with others, which is a lot more useful than trolling and calling 'PMS'ers those who share their experience.

Thanks to everyone else who didn't troll here and shared their experience with Hostsailor.

I legit want to know, what they advertise that do you don't get. Because the title itself is "FALSE ADVERTISING", OP didn't even tell what Hostsailor advertise. Is hostsailor bad ? Perhaps. False Advertising ? You have to bring proof for that (What they advertise vs what they you get)