Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where can I get a France number to receive SMS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where can I get a France number to receive SMS?

JyleeJylee Member, Host Rep

Hi everyone!

I am going to buy a dedicated server from France, which has the France-only restriction and need to verify the phone number. I need a France number to bypass the SMS verification. I've searched it on Google but find nothing. Anyone who can provide it? Thanks.

Comments

• This means its restricted to france restidents only, an ordering will only result in your dedi being terminated mid contract. wouldn't it.

• OP, have you ever considered that they require a French number for a reason? Maybe because they don't want non-French people buying their services? Hmm?

• JyleeJylee Member, Host Rep

@awson non-French people can buy their lower configurations with the same price- - what I wanna buy is online.net.

• If I remember well you can find a france number at messagenet.it

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jeez, respect the host man.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited August 2013

@AnthonySmith said:

Normally I might agree, but online.net does in fact serve non-French customers, however they do not sell certain advertised models to non-French customers. I can't see any reason for that if they are willing to sell non-French customers their older models, as well as their more expensive models. OP almost certainly wants one of the lower tiered ones that a non-French account can't buy.

Anyway, I think Skype offers French numbers, but you need to provide them with a French address, just google something maybe.

@VPSSimon said:
    This means its restricted to france restidents only, an ordering will only result in your dedi being terminated mid contract. wouldn't it.

And this is almost certainly going to happen if you do get it

• tuxtux Member

prepaid number?

• expect another thread in 2 months where OP gives a negative review of online.net for disconnecting his server when they catch on

@Setsura
    Skype: You will need to enter your name and address. Only residents of France can buy a French Skype Number.
    it needs Verification too...

@essebe
    it seems that messagenet.it only provides France voip, not SMS.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Oh get off your f---ing high horse. That host doesn't respect us, non-french citizens -- so in my book they don't deserve any respect whatsoever. Personally I would just boycott them, but if @Jylee is adventurous then I see no reason what should stop him from trying to bypass their Nazism and get the same deal as FR people are getting.

Compare http://console.online.net/fr/order/server and http://console.online.net/en/order/server

There is simply no valid reason why people from abroad have to get by with a 160 GB disk instead of a 500GB one, for the same price. Or not have access at all to the 14.99 EUR model. Also people have pointed out that this is illegal by EU laws, they have to offer the same service to at least all of the EU, and not just France.

• Are you a citizen of an EU country? If yes you should be able to put pressure on them to sell to you.

• I can't add anything to what @rm_ said except that I totally agree with him. I have one of these deals myself, where I have 160GB but the same server is sold to French nationals with 500GB. Unfortunately in my case, I had two options-forego the lowest priced dedicated server offer or accept their discrimination with a sigh and nod. I chose the latter. I have since bought an ovh pre '13 server, and will be discontinuing online.net from next month.

All I can say is, @op, there is every chance that your contract will be terminated later. I have had to contact online.net several times last month, and unless you have a French friend, you might find that hard. It's also likely that you might set off some alarm bells during the order, leading them to demand your documents for verification.

• @joelgm said:
    unless you have a French friend

If he had a French friend, @op probably would had been able to convince him to buy a pre-paid SIM for him to register with.

• ztecztec Member

If you live inside the EU, they can't make these discriminations.

• Check out tropo I have international numbers through them.

• MuZoMuZo Member

@thedarkfox from what I read tropo only accepts sms on custom USA / CA numbers, all other are not sms enabled

@joelgm
    I dont have a French friend and I wonder if I can get one here :)

@gsrdgrdghd
    No, I live in Asia.

• I think you can buy a French sim card on taobao...And your English is much better than somebody.

• @Jylee If the provider is technically able to, but not offering their services globally, due to it's own misunderstanding of the world order, then they don't deserve Your money.

• @ztec said:
    If you live inside the EU, they can't make these discriminations.

They seem to anyway. At least they wouldn't sell the better models to any of my dutch friends.

Also, I'm somewhat glad I wasn't the only one feeling a bit sour about this host @rm_ and @joelgm. I don't know what it is about French hosts, but they sure don't like non-French people.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited August 2013

If you want to go with online.net I may warn you and tell you they are by far the worst provider I ever had, not only do they have constant problems with their network, their routing is also pretty bad and they totally oversell their network, if I can only get 500kb/s max to Germany, something on their side must be wrong. Also their DDoS mitigation is nonexistent, I was nullrouted multiple times receiving 500mbit attacks.
    Also I had tickets, where they lied to me, I showed them proof that there's packet loss in their network and they simply closed the ticket telling me everything is alright.

• ztecztec Member

@Setsura said:
    Also, I'm somewhat glad I wasn't the only one feeling a bit sour about this host rm_ and joelgm. I don't know what it is about French hosts, but they sure don't like non-French people.

They have to give the dutch the same deal. There's probably some commission that you could report this to.

@rm_ said:

I just don't agree, if you dont like it dont buy from them, and if you do go out of your way to circumvent it and get kicked out when/if they find out then dont come and complain about it here.

They own the company they can impose any rules they want, you dont have to respect them you dont have to agree but it is not right to circumvent it just because you can.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

That may be so, and using a fake phone number is not right, not to mention it puts your data at risk and well the money you pay for the server. However it is also not 'fair' that discrimination between nations is implemented, however I think the actual reason is that they get a taxcut/payback or something if they sell to French customers, because there was another dedi company from France some time ago (I can't remember the name) that offered services only to French students.

Well I suppose if that is the reason they may take a dont ask dont tell approach in which case that is on them. I just dont like the assumption that it is fine to fake your details to essentially get an anonymous server and ignore any registration requirements along the way, maybe that is just because as a host I know first hand what kind of trouble that brings.

At the end of the day do what you want, skype is probably your best option, just dont expect any sympathy if it goes wrong and they terminate service without a refund.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

They own the company they can impose any rules they want

Go to the USA and open a business with rules that you accept only White race customers, no black people. Or go to Germany and establish a shop with a strict "No Jews" rule. We will see how well that goes for you.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    That host doesn't respect us, non-french citizens -- so in my book they don't deserve any respect whatsoever. Personally I would just boycott them

YouTube quote:

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:
    Also people have pointed out that this is illegal by EU laws, they have to offer the same service to at least all of the EU, and not just France.

Interesting... I wonder if they'll change policy if enough attention is brought to it.

• @ztec said:
    They have to give the dutch the same deal. There's probably some commission that you could report this to.

Probably, I'll ask some friends and my family in NL. I was fairly sure they were supposed to be offering the same stuff to anyone in the EU.

@Sakura The French sim card sold on taobao can only be used in Europe.

@tr1cky ok, I'd better get a kimsufi. But kimsufi is only sold to Europe now...