Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lithium Ion UPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lithium Ion UPS

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@randvegeta said: I am amazed people think that the demands of a DC are greater than that of a car.

It's not the demands, it's the consequences.

If my car doesn't start, I call AAA or take a ride share and I am perhaps 30 minutes late for work.

If my datacenter doesn't start...I go out of business.

• and I lose millions on my $7 vps

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Unbelievable said:
    and I lose millions on my $7 vps

Would be true if you hosted a million $7 VPSs ;-)

@SplitIce said:
    @randvegeta Please at a minimum ensure that you have a well tested
    a) Fire Detection system located in close vicinity to the Batteries; and
    b) Temperature Monitoring on your batteries.
    c) Dry Chemical fire extinguishers at various locations (i.e at entries to room)

I've been involved in projects involving Li-Po batteries for (in-device) battery backup purposes. I've seen what can happen with small cells under stress testing without protection circuits. Multiple KWH? eek.

I'm using the original Tesla BMB's. The new controller monitors not only cell voltages but also cell temperatures. If anything goes beyond some predefined threshold, first it sends out an alert, and if it keeps going out of spec, it will be shut down.

These are not damaged cells and we're using most of the same BMS system that Tesla uses. The power draw will be 0.2C at FULL LOAD. Since this is going to be used as a UPS, the load will be nil unless in use. Even when in use, it wont run at full load. Even at 0.2C, we shouldn't even see any significant temperature rise. The cut off will be set to quite a low temperature (~50C).

Still deciding how to actually install the batteries. thinking to scale back for this first run and stick the batteries in the same cases we stick the lead acid (removing the lead acid of course). If all goes well, probably in the space of the generator, we will build some enclosed room to isolate the batteries from the rest of the data centre. And put in some battery safe fire extinguishers in there probably. Not sure yet. But that won't be now. That will be the 2nd run.

I appreciate the concern but batteries are safe with some basic precautions. Just as gasoline is safe if used properly. Monitoring both cell voltage and temperature while keeping SoC well below max AND limiting charge/discharge to 0.2C or under, should be pretty safe.

@raindog308 said: It's not the demands, it's the consequences.

If my car doesn't start, I call AAA or take a ride share and I am perhaps 30 minutes late for work.

I'm not sure what you're saying. If my car doesnt start, because it's going to blow up from some kind of thermal runaway fire... I'm probably not going to go to work that day. And I'd probably see my house burn down.

Thanked by 1Unbelievable
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@randvegeta said:

I'm not sure what you're saying...

Frankly, you do not want to understand. It's obvious that you are determined to go that route, no matter what.

No problem and good luck but it's a bit boring to discuss with someone who has his plan set in stone.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:

@randvegeta said:

I'm not sure what you're saying...

Frankly, you do not want to understand. It's obvious that you are determined to go that route, no matter what.

No problem and good luck but it's a bit boring to discuss with someone who has his plan set in stone.

I didnt realize this forum was full off battery experts!

• @randvegeta This forum is full of experts on everything - or they at least say the same things over and over again until they convince themselves they are the leading expert in everything

Thanked by 1randvegeta