Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Hosted Dedicated server : Advise please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Hosted Dedicated server : Advise please

A friend of mine proposes to sell a few used server hardware to me to host our demo servers at home. With UPS and 1 static IP, at this moment, the System config is about 128 GB RAM, 1 TB, 2x Hexa-core [24 therads], and high-performance system each for about 425 Euros [converted]. Price is tempting for the HP Z800 workstation, with a 1-year my favorite provider's dedi auction server, I could buy 2 such hardware per year, 30% variance expected.

We have ISP who ready to provide a cheap monthly static ip with speed ranging from 0 to 200 mbps [upload/download], live in an apartment with generator backup, with small home UPS that can hold power for 15 minutes on the outage, we could run with 80% to 90% availability, which is OK. Power bill expected to add on 8 USD per month + Internet we already pay anyway.

I am not used to these setups, am I missing some big picture?

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2020

DDoS attacks? Noise? Cooling? Fire safety? Electrical fuses of your room? How many ampers? normal fuses are 5-20A

Many racks or PCs behind one fuse wont work well.

Thanked by 2webcraft gks
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Noise, yes.

Power bill expected to add on 8 USD per month

...and that you likely don't need such a crazy powerful setup for your "demo" servers, some 8 USD/mo VPS would do just fine -- and most certainly the 9-13 EUR Kimsufi servers from their current flash sale would: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/167337/kimsufi-flash-sale

Thanked by 2webcraft gks
  • The noise;
    The electricity bill;
    The internet reliability;
    The heat;

This will be a pain. BUT!

The swag!

Do it! Take IBM blade, host it like a man!

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2webcraft MrH
  • Consider what people just mentioned and additionaly make sure that you will really utilize such a powerfull server and you can not make your project happen with less resources (ram, cpu) offloaded in pro datacenter in a form of a VPS, cloud VPS or such. Price/effort would be less if offloaded. But if you need to heat your flat and really need such RAM and CPU, why not try it and then sell it if it wont work.

Thanked by 1gks
  • miumiu Member
    edited October 2020

I think main problem is HOME INTERNET (and single) LINK/uplink quality and reliability..
    All other are then small problems in comparison with this one then, and can be easy resolved..

I have an optical unmetered 1Gbit connection and connected lowend large storage server from home for own use, accessible from net, but used exclusively for additional backup (secondary) only, for noncritical use (as cheap secondary storage for backups). Mean when internet connection/link will fail, no emergency/critical situation will happen..

Thanked by 1gks
  • Short answer. Don't do at home.

Thanked by 1gks
  • gksgks Member

@rm_ said:
    Noise, yes.

Power bill expected to add on 8 USD per month

...and that you likely don't need such a crazy powerful setup for your "demo" servers, some 8 USD/mo VPS would do just fine -- and most certainly the 9-13 EUR Kimsufi servers from their current flash sale would: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/167337/kimsufi-flash-sale

High Ram is mandatory requirements, needed about 64 GB due to big data, after being banned by virmach due to CPU usage policy, we use netcup without problem.

Using 3x 48 GB RAM RS server from netcup last two years, try to save cost [hard economical factor] as the renewal coming this December.

Thanked by 1miu
  • Made a homelab server now, bought Dell T3610, took E5 2680 v2 processor benchmark here https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4587794 Took 5x pc3 14900 RAM, 2 TB HDD, 500 gb HDD, costed 450 euros. All parts are from used/scrapped materials, Indian market is expensive.

Setup is done with Lubuntu 20.04, installed VMware workstation, wireguard, yet to mess up routing wireguard for internal router/switch.

I made mistake by taking Dell T3610, instead I may have taken Lenovo S30 it allows 32 GB module slot, I may have maxed out 256 GB RAM easily.

Running with 200 mbps broadband connection, manageable, need for dual WAN.

Getting 1 more units of Lenovo think-station S30, for clusters and backups + 3x 4 TB HDD.

The total cost still less than what I spend annually with german VPS providers per year. there is new experience, a small pump house running [fan noise] with behind, a tolerable at this moment.

As many pointed out in fourm, didn't go for servers, high end workstations like HP Z820.

• interservermikeinterservermike Member, Patron Provider

Many people run some type of server at home (video, storage, pictures, etc). I do not see how this is any different. Go for it.

Agreed with using work station instead of servers. The fan noise on HP/Dell server would be heard from every location in an apartment.

Thanked by 1gks
  • @interservermike said:
    Many people run some type of server at home (video, storage, pictures, etc). I do not see how this is any different. Go for it.

Agreed with using work station instead of servers. The fan noise on HP/Dell server would be heard from every location in an apartment.

myself, nube person, used with laptop. The server and mega RAM and cores are very exiting. I see many reddit post homelab, looks like normal to go with this mode.