Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your thoughts about new ryzen 5000
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your thoughts about new ryzen 5000

ugurzugurz Member
edited October 2020 in General

I love the new 19% IPC increase with the stability of new zen design

Comments

• On, paper, looks good. However, since there aren't really any varying reviews yet then I'm not quite sure if I'll be getting it or just the 3xxx XT series.

Thanked by 1ugurz
  • I like the feature which auto-blocks people from typing thread titles in all caps.

Thanked by 2ugurz TimboJones
  • @tetech said:
    I like the feature which auto-blocks people from typing thread titles in all caps.

Edited :)

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Go team red!

Love the new improvements - will truly make a difference & force Intel to price their CPUs competitively at last.

• @ugurz said: 19% IPC increase

I'll believe it when I see it, but even a 10% increase would be impressive.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2020

Too high TDP, at least with the currently announced models. Plus basically announced in a strongly gaming biased context. So for me it's a case of "Thanks, but thanks, no" for the time being.

That said, I like the 4000s and they are damn good enough for me, and frankly, I don't see people having a 3000 or 4000 saying "Oh, if only I had more single core performance" - except of course gamers (who are utterly irrelevant for my and most professional use cases but) who probably are an easy clientele to milk for AMD. For me another reason to say "thanks, no, AMD".

Btw, "funny" that hacker news is interested in e.g. "US Army trials augmented reality goggles for dogs" but seems to have missed the Ryzen 5000 news ...

• @jsg said:
    Too high TDP, at least with the currently announced models. Plus basically announced in a strongly gaming biased context. So for me it's a case of "Thanks, but thanks, no" for the time being.

That said, I like the 4000s and they are damn good enough for me, and frankly, I don't see people having a 3000 or 4000 saying "Oh, if only I had more single core performance" - except of course gamers (who are utterly irrelevant for my and most professional use cases but) who probably are an easy clientele to milk for AMD. For me another reason to say "thanks, no, AMD".

Btw, "funny" that hacker news is interested in e.g. "US Army trials augmented reality goggles for dogs" but seems to have missed the Ryzen 5000 news ...

4000 series is for laptops only.

Thanked by 2vimalware TimboJones
  • Expensive

• @jsg said: I don't see people having a 3000 or 4000 saying "Oh, if only I had more single core performance"

Well you do, thats why theres several variations of effectively the same CPU sold at 100MHz increments.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • emreemre Member, LIR

4x ryzen 5950x cores
    5.9 gb ram
    59 GB NVME
    1 ipv4
    /64 ipv6
    5.9TB/month / 10 Gbps Port
    Frankfurt/NewYork/LosAngeles/Tokyo/Singapore
    7 USD/.Month
    Subscribe now:
    Soon TM...

• looks to be an awesome Hypervisor cpu for all the idling vps out there :D

Thanked by 1webcraft

@TheKiller said:

Nope, there are already some SFF boxes announced. And up to 128 GB memory, one or even two NVMe plus two 2.5" SSD/HDD is damn good enough for the vast majority of office and most private boxes (excl. many gamers obviously). And all in a nice low power envelope.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jsg glad god has spoken and given us his opinions

Thanked by 1ViridWeb

@Unbelievable said:
    @jsg glad god has spoken and given us his opinions

Oh, evil me! How dare I to also tell my view (after some others have done so).

• danninovdanninov Member
    edited October 2020

@jsg said: Nope, there are already some SFF boxes announced.

The 4000 series is the same Zen 2 arch with 3000 series desktop.
    Zen 2 Desktop: 3000 series
    Zen 2 Laptop & APU: 4000 series

So there is no improvement, only marketing naming schemes. That's why they skip 4000 series for desktop to fix this confusing naming. All Zen 3 generation (desktop, laptop and APU) will be in the same 5000 naming.

Thanked by 2vimalware TimboJones
  • Will be waiting for next gen Ryzen 5nm, that will (maybe) support USB4.0

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@danninov said:

@jsg said: Nope, there are already some SFF boxes announced.

The 4000 series is the same Zen 2 arch with 3000 series desktop.
    Zen 2 Desktop: 3000 series
    Zen 2 Laptop & APU: 4000 series

So there is no improvement, only marketing naming schemes. That's why they skip 4000 series for desktop to fix this confusing naming. All Zen 3 generation (desktop, laptop and APU) will be in the same 5000 naming.

I know, but exactly that is why I'm interested in Ryzen 4000 boxes. I get a 3000 plus a GPU and don't need a graphics card anymore. Or to be more precise, I get a "3000" with more than 4 cores plus a built in GPU.

For what I do I simply don't need more than a basic GPU and a built-in one uses less el. power. But unfortunately the 3000G only have 2 or 4 cores. Now with the 4000 APU I finally get what I want and need.

Btw, even for the kind of games I (quite rarely) play like Command and Conquer (read: old games) and even for many modern games (e.g. deserts of karak) my 3200G based box is easily powerful enough.

• @emre said:
    4x ryzen 5950x cores
    5.9 gb ram
    59 GB NVME
    1 ipv4
    /64 ipv6
    7 USD/.Month
    Subscribe now:
    Soon TM...

Noted.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@seriesn said: Noted.

This is some hostnun level pricing/plan layouts.

Francisco

Thanked by 117brownj
  • @Francisco said:

@seriesn said: Noted.

This is some hostnun level pricing/plan layouts.

Francisco

Yes Father!

• @emre said:
    4x ryzen 5950x cores
    5.9 gb ram
    59 GB NVME
    1 ipv4
    /64 ipv6
    7 USD/.Month
    Subscribe now:
    Soon TM...

I'm triggered by this, what is wrong with adding it all up, 6gb ram, 60 gb nvme, 6 tb bandwidth, ryzen 6000x????????

• @Ahfaiahkid said:

@emre said:
    4x ryzen 5950x cores
    5.9 gb ram
    59 GB NVME
    1 ipv4
    /64 ipv6
    7 USD/.Month
    Subscribe now:
    Soon TM...

I'm triggered by this, what is wrong with adding it all up, 6gb ram, 60 gb nvme, 6 tb bandwidth, ryzen 6000x????????

whoosh

• @vovler said:
    Will be waiting for next gen Ryzen 5nm, that will (maybe) support USB4.0

For what purpose? This high end shit needs quality cables, none of this USB 2.0 junk we've been getting away with for years. Maybe the thin laptop people will care more.

• CasualCanvasCasualCanvas Member
    edited October 2020

@TheKiller said:

@jsg said:

Uhhh, nope. They have these 4000 Pro series for desktop. Was being sold in our Country for about a month or so now. It's basically the 3000 X series but with built-in Graphics.

• @TimboJones said:

@vovler said:
    Will be waiting for next gen Ryzen 5nm, that will (maybe) support USB4.0

For what purpose? This high end shit needs quality cables, none of this USB 2.0 junk we've been getting away with for years. Maybe the thin laptop people will care more.

Then you buy the high-quality cables. Yes, I'm looking forward to have a laptop with a decently powerful CPU, then have a dock for Ethernet, power, mouse/keyboard and an external GPU that connects my monitors.

I'm aware that you can already do this with Thunderbolt, but I'd rather wait for something Ryzen based to replace my desktop.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

AMD is just blowing intel out of the water these days.