Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress Question: Using PopupBuilder
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress Question: Using PopupBuilder

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to install a plugin on LowEndBox's WP install that will provide the following functionality:

1. Allow targeted (rare, and only occurring once) popups asking users to subscribe to the mailing list

2. Ask users to whitelist the website from Adblock

Does anyone have experience with this plugin?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/popup-builder/

And more specifically, this addon?

https://popup-builder.com/downloads/adblock-popup/

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated. Not trying to create any annoyances in the user experience for LowEndBox while also trying to achieve the goal of helping to ensure that our ads are seen (because that's how we keep the lights on).

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2020

@jbiloh said: Not trying to create any annoyances in the user experience for LowEndBox while also trying to achieve the goal of helping to ensure that our ads are seen (because that's how we keep the lights on).

I am fairly sure most on here are like me though, as soon as they see a "you're not getting to see this unless you unblock" message, they just go away.

I get it but I don't think it will help get the ads seen more.

Thanked by 1Unbelievable
  • People use adblocks because they hate popups, websites use popups to tell people to please disable the adblock.
    Am I the only one seeing a problem here?

• I am fine with ads really but i really hate it when its over the top including popups.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

@Lee said:

@jbiloh said: Not trying to create any annoyances in the user experience for LowEndBox while also trying to achieve the goal of helping to ensure that our ads are seen (because that's how we keep the lights on).

I am fairly sure most on here are like me though, as soon as they see a "you're not getting to see this unless you unblock" message, they just go away.

Really depends if a user is on desktop/laptop or mobile. Mobile "popups" still work. But its annoying as f... - whenever I get one I close the site in an instant.

But my suggestion...just don't. Figure out a way to insert ads into mobile vanilla instead. A way that wont be too bad for users.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Lee said:

I understand the suggestion but without the ad revenue the websites cannot support themselves. :(

The idea was to ask politely once, but not force the whitelisting like some websites do.

@Ahfaiahkid said: I am fine with ads really but i really hate it when its over the top including popups.

I totally get that. Especially websites with in-line ads that don't load until you scroll by so your view on the page is always changing. Very annoying, especially on mobile.

I prefer the lightest of all touches.

• Hello,

It is not a problem as long as there is a big button that says close on the e-mail list.

This website does not have annoying ads. So I would be in favor of asking to disable adblocks.

As for experience with this plugins I have not. But the rating of the first plugin seems solid, so it should be fine.

Best regards!

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited October 2020

@jbiloh the problem isn't ad block. Take all the companies you have posted there over the past 3 years and compare them to AWS Lightsail, Digital Ocean, Vultr, Hetzner, BuyVM, Ramnode (this provides a spectrum of company size and pricing of well established vendors). Seriously the vast majority of them can not compete on price or service. They are dangerous little companies that have a tendency to blow up r not live up to expectations. By my calculation racknerd is providing 10-15% of revenue to you for that site (unless there is a special deal) so there is a vendor diversity issue. You need better companies to post offers- but the question remains, what are they going to compete on? The margins are thin and their ability to provide good support seems thin too. When I can spin up a vps for 3.50 on multiple platforms and know its backed by good service - why boter with the small fry.

Not to mention the free services, google firebase, heroku, netlify, azure for aspx dev sites, and many more. Free vps on google, azure, oracle.

You can blame it on ad block - but its mainly because the choices are much better elsewhere