Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended great value dedi with HIGH cpu for encoding, ram unimportant, around 200gb HD? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended great value dedi with HIGH cpu for encoding, ram unimportant, around 200gb HD?

2»

Comments

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee said:
    You wont find anything near that price in even Auction. If anything the only gripe I have with AX41 is that its a consumer CPU (not that it matters too much) rather than actual server hardware. But seeing the Xeons in Auction with 64gigs of ram and nvme...meh. Go with the AX I'd say.

Just going through the thread again and joe's datacenter seems the clear winner for price/performance.

The ax41 is £40 + 40 setup, and on https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ the score for AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is 201.

Conversely, joe's has no setup fee while the xeon X5650 shows 72 average bench so x 2 = 144; so a bit less performance but saving a lot on the setup fee for for not that much less performance cpu wise.

PS why would you care it is consumer vs. server hardware? All that matters are the performance figures no?

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

Sure, if you are willing to go with a 10 year old CPU and with the max speed of just a little over 3GHz on turbo.

But surely it all depends on your workloads as well.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    28% performance difference is not quite sense.. ugh.. ryzen 5 3600 performance should be more than 70% better than dual xeon x5650..

Hmm why does this guy say 70% rather than 28%? I certainly would be willing to pay the extra for ax41 if indeed it was a 70% difference but where did they get that figure from? as they gave no reasoning for it.

@serv_ee said:
    Sure, if you are willing to go with a 10 year old CPU and with the max speed of just a little over 3GHz on turbo.

But surely it all depends on your workloads as well.

Well as I said in my OP I want to do video encoding so cpu perfomance is paramount. Why does the age matter if the results were there in black and white? You just have some bias against 'old hardware'?

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

Nice way to jump into conclusions.

Depending on your software (if its capable of using multi-threaded workflow) the Ryzen will still happily beat those two x-s on dual socket.

As for "bias against old hardware" - sure I do buddy. So much that I got two Opterons at home that are older than that Intel x one. I got three Xeon servers from Hetzner that are just a tad newer than that. Clearly biased.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @AC_Fan said:

Bottom line: Best CPU value is a X5650 dedi from Joe's Datacenter or an AX41 in Finland from the Hetzner Marketplace (to save the setup fee).

How come this guy said ax41 from finland incurs no setup fee? Or maybe they meant that just happened to be available on the marketplace at the time?

• @lowendguy7 said:

@AC_Fan said:

Bottom line: Best CPU value is a X5650 dedi from Joe's Datacenter or an AX41 in Finland from the Hetzner Marketplace (to save the setup fee).

How come this guy said ax41 from finland incurs no setup fee? Or maybe they meant that just happened to be available on the marketplace at the time?

Yup, I was referring to the marketplace.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee said:
    Nice way to jump into conclusions.

Depending on your software (if its capable of using multi-threaded workflow) the Ryzen will still happily beat those two x-s on dual socket.

As for "bias against old hardware" - sure I do buddy. So much that I got two Opterons at home that are older than that Intel x one. I got three Xeon servers from Hetzner that are just a tad newer than that. Clearly biased.

Thanks for clarifying, indeed we know the performance is better always for the ryzen but the question is if the performance increase is so much that it justifies the extra $40 bucks for setup fees. If it is in the 70% range like the dude said then certainly it would be a no brainer for me, but as I said, I have no idea where they got that figure.

I will be using ffmpeg to encode videos so maybe that helps to know in terms of how much better functionality the ryzen may have?

• That I cant say. Im at work and dont have that much time on my hands to look into it that "deeply".

You should, however, benefit from the faster ram somewhat. (ddr3/ddr4)

I get that your point is to save the money on the setup fee like a lot of us but then again I get why hosts want that. In the end you need to come to your own conclusions on what to use.

• Is there any specific location you are looking for?

• @netcetera said:
    Is there any specific location you are looking for?

no.

• @AC_Fan said:
    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

So there are both nvme and non nvme available? What is the diff/reason for going nvme?

• @lowendguy7 said:

@AC_Fan said:
    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

So there are both nvme and non nvme available? What is the diff/reason for going nvme?

Disk space. 512GB NVMe vs 2TB HDD.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @AC_Fan said:

@lowendguy7 said:

@AC_Fan said:

Disk space. 512GB NVMe vs 2TB HDD.

umm, so why would you wanna choose nvme if it has 1/4 of the disk capacity?

edited October 2020
    edited October 2020

Think I am gonna go with joe now :). The $40+ additional bucks setup fee put me off hetzner (plus I prefer supporting smaller companies) and I am sure dual xeons will still be a major power injection vs the $5 contabo vps' I have been using for the past year or more :).

edited October 2020

Hey guys can you recomend any similar price point dedis to joes datacenter but with up to date support. I actually do not need 'top of the line' hardware now.

After using the 5650 for a week I see that is more than enough as it is going to take me time to scale up to that level anyway compared to the tiny vpses I was using before and I don't wanna waste the resources I am paying for.

I would prefer one with no setup fee (wouldn't we all lol) but wouldn't mind paying that if it meant getting up to date rescue facilities.

Joes support is fine (in terms of their responses and cooperation) however I had no idea they do not provide any rescue console unless you ask them for it which is just dumb imo both for the clients and for them. For the clients it is a nuisance to have to ask them to get access to fix a problem but it is just as much of a nuisance for them to have to be asked so I can't undestand the logic in that.

I have been having issues with the dedi I bought from them. It just hangs every few days and they say there is no system issues and they since said there are boot loader issues since I set it up with GPT and syslinux and they only support legacy mbr. I don't get why it would have worked fine for a week and then stop working if that were the case.

Maybe if I reinstall the OS to MBR it will fix the phantom hanging issues and I would be fine with them but if not I need to look elsewhere. So joes seems fine as long as you don't have any issues with your server which you need remote access for in which case you are in for some hurdles.

• Stick with VPS.

• The more I look around joes is actually fantastic value for money so gonna try and make it work. If it is just a software issue somewhere (never experienced it before on other servers as I said but maybe just related to different hardware) then I will continue to search for the solution.

I will keep playing around and see if I fix it before the next billing period but will keep a short list of other possibilities in case I don't.

edited December 2020

On the lookout again. Any more comments to make here?

I quit joes datacenter due to the never being able to figure out the crashing issue.

I don't know why everyone was touting hetzner as a great deal. Sure they are a great company but as for price they are not good at all compared to other places; sure out the outset it looks like it but the setup fee really takes the wind out of things.

At the moment I had my eye on servdiscount, as I found a server there for 10000 or so cpumark in the $30-40 range - don't have it handy to give precise name. I am just waiting for them to respond to my support ticket which hopefully they will soon as it really puts a dampener on things when there is no support replies, which is what happened why I tried to email alphavps a couple of months back. But since looking their deal isn't great price wise compared to servdiscount, it was only like 6000 cpumark for same price, which is what most others I found were.

Any other suggestions with around 10k cpumark performance for $30-40 bux? Joes was the only other I found but I had to deal with all that other crap - no user rescue console unless you 'book it' in advance, and the crashing; the former wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't need to be trying to fix it every day which I never did anyway.

I don't mind (and would likely expect) a more hands off approach for the lower price but I want a stable machine!

By the way I am not the only one who had crashing issues on joes. I was speaking to another LET member and they were experiencing a very similar issue on their same dual xeon 5650 package so can't just put it down to ill informed user.

Thanked by 1jonatha
  • @lowendguy7 said:
    On the lookout again. Any more comments to make here?

I quit joes datacenter due to the never being able to figure out the crashing issue.

I don't know why everyone was touting hetzner as a great deal. Sure they are a great company but as for price they are not good at all compared to other places; sure out the outset it looks like it but the setup fee really takes the wind out of things.

At the moment I had my eye on servdiscount, as I found a server there for 10000 or so cpumark in the $30-40 range - don't have it handy to give precise name. I am just waiting for them to respond to my support ticket which hopefully they will soon as it really puts a dampener on things when there is no support replies, which is what happened why I tried to email alphavps a couple of months back. But since looking their deal isn't great price wise compared to servdiscount, it was only like 6000 cpumark for same price, which is what most others I found were.

Any other suggestions with around 10k cpumark performance for $30-40 bux? Joes was the only other I found but I had to deal with all that other crap - no user rescue console unless you 'book it' in advance, and the crashing; the former wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't need to be trying to fix it every day which I never did anyway.

I don't mind (and would likely expect) a more hands off approach for the lower price but I want a stable machine!

By the way I am not the only one who had crashing issues on joes. I was speaking to another LET member and they were experiencing a very similar issue on their same dual xeon 5650 package so can't just put it down to ill informed user.

Well, if you need only CPU why not selfhosted it?

edited December 2020

@chocolateshirt said:

Well, if you need only CPU why not selfhosted it?

Make my own server you mean? I made a post about that in summer as I was considering it but I was advised against it by majority of replies saying that the electricity costs would cost more than to outsource to a commercial host. I am in uk btw with regards elec prices. I did not crunch the numbers too much at the time to really figure it out but as I recall on prelim calcs it would have only come to breaking even at best with all the hassle of buying equipment and having something running in your place 24/7.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I'm patiently encoding push-ups on Oracle Cloud Free Tier. One minute of content takes an hour for three resolutions in VP9 format.

Normal VPS isn't enough because you get suspended on high CPU usage. You need VDS that has dedicated CPU cores. On the other hand, you don't need to worry about bootloader anymore.