Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any review on Hetzner Cloud reliability?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any review on Hetzner Cloud reliability?

TejyTejy Member
edited October 2020 in Providers

Hello,
I will host a critical service soon, and I've planned to use an european cloud provider which offers load-balancing feature.
Hetzner Cloud is a really nice option, but what about reliability?
Even with a load-balancer, does Hetzner launch maintenances? Are service interruptions regular?
Any experience to share with me?
Thanks,

Comments

• I've had the cheapest tier cloud server (2.50 eur) online for 3 years and I do not recall there ever being downtime or maintenance. The server has rebooted less than a handful of times over the past 3 years and they have all been intentional.

I have just recently moved more services there and am hosting a few sites on a CPX21. No complaints.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

In general, I got the highest uptime with single dedicated servers.
    Even on single disks ones.

Cloud just ends up most of the time costing more money and causing issues.
    You should not rely on someone to make your service stay online, if its really that mission critical you need your own PLAN B.

We did see often enough someones cloud infrastructure burn down.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Neoon said: We did see often enough someones cloud infrastructure burn down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/gnd7ew/cloud_migration_101/
    T-Mobile Data Center, Białołęka, 2019, data migration to the cloud

• been over 1 year and downtime once. What I like at Hetzner that they seem improved their support and services time by time.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2020

@Hotmarer said:

@Neoon said: We did see often enough someones cloud infrastructure burn down.

Most of the telco's have 2 datacenters, so if one burns down, small impact.
    At least that's what they say but if it happens, usually shit still hits the fan (OVH/Google).

• Network's fast, my man.

Thanked by 1graphic
  • all Hetzner services are the best, I am using Hetzner cloud from 3 years, no complains, no problems, only a one down time in 3 years.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Hetzner is prem.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • angeliusangelius Member
    edited October 2020

I have 50 vm with hetzner and I get maybe 1 downtime of 10 to 30 min every 3 to 6 months (never the same vm) when a host node go down.
    Based on the number of vm I have it's quite good :)

I have roughly the same ratio with my AWS vms ... But aws send you an email 14 days in advance before a maintenance so you can move your vm to another host before that date to avoid interruption

• For those that use or have used Hetzner Cloud and Netcup VPS/Root servers which one have you chosen and why ?

• I am using it from 2019 and I don't face any issues.

• One thing I would say about hetzner : Their cloud servers are the best I have ever seen.

Takes less than 5 seconds to create and machines and its hourly billing is better than most montly billings. Using them for about 2 years now.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner only downside is they operate in Germany and Finland only.

• @Neoon said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Neoon said: We did see often enough someones cloud infrastructure burn down.

Most of the telco's have 2 datacenters, so if one burns down, small impact.
    At least that's what they say but if it happens, usually shit still hits the fan (OVH/Google).

Unfortunately, everyone except for t-mobile, when their data center was on fire, half of Poland did not have access to the mobile network and it was impossible to reach the headquarters.

• @mezoology said:
    Hetzner only downside is they operate in Germany and Finland only.

True that. I would really like a hetzner datacenter in singapore

Thanked by 2dosai Hetzner_OL
  • pbxpbx Member

@danielcardosopt said: which one have you chosen and why ?

Netcup, because of a pretty good deal. Both are great and provide very good value for the money. Hetzner is great for hourly billing and stuff like that.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • LeeLee Veteran

Been using Hetzner Cloud from day 1, no issues at all (that I am aware of).

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • tjntjn Member
    edited October 2020

I have ~15VMs with Hetzner Cloud, pretty much since they launched.
    Rock solid. Never had a problem. Super fast. Highly recommended.

Thanked by 2pbx Hetzner_OL
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Now they have private network that can work across multiple(3) datacenters, you can set up your own HA cluster so that if one of the data center burns down your VM still works.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @ericls said:
    Now they have private network that can work across multiple(3) datacenters, you can set up your own HA cluster so that if one of the data center burns down your VM still works.

How fast is the response time between 3 data centers?

• very stable except internet cut off/null IP when you send / receive too much pps. (treated as attacking or being attacked)

• slow but stable.

• Very stable.

• mitnick2mitnick2 Member
    edited October 2020

@danielcardosopt said:
    For those that use or have used Hetzner Cloud and Netcup VPS/Root servers which one have you chosen and why ?

i tested Hetzner cloud, VPS (shared) installed some game servers on, was laggying badly. Now im on Netcup, RS 2000 G9, with dedicated resources. ITs stable, no restarts within 3 months. I transfer data with 1gbit, since the network card is 100 gbits (shared). Its the best tested yet.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Arirang said:

@ericls said:

How fast is the response time between 3 data centers?

Good enough for me. I just deployed my service to three data centers. I have one database for account information replicated in 3 datacenters, an analytics database replicated in three datacenters and 5 application workers (stateless) distributed through 3 datacenters.

Give it a try: https://linki.la/let

PS: really wish they had managed netowrk firewalls

• Are anyone faced any ddos against your vps on hetzner cloud? And how it was maintained from hetzner side? Nullrouted? Down? Tell some info about hetzner ddos protection for VPS.

• It's good besides the network. The network is poor.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited October 2020

I have several clouds myself for almost a year now, experienced a small downtime once for a couple of them but that's about it. You can't go wrong with them.

• @SirFoxy said: It's good besides the network. The network is poor.

Objectively, the network is pretty good. Getting close to 10Gbps on several European connections with Hetzner. The connection to my home ISP is also excellent.

So IMHO the network is not poor but good. YMMV if you're in East Asia, or the American west coast.

• Hetzner is excellent.
    Great performance, great newtork.