Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone used Hetzner nameservers to host zones? How do they perform?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone used Hetzner nameservers to host zones? How do they perform?

https://www.hetzner.com/dns-console

Anyone has used them?

I wonder if they are using anything beyond their geo-availability (2x Germany, 1x Finland) for the nameservers.

Comments

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited October 2020

I could not initially find their nameserver addresses. I can at least answer my second question:

Their nameservers seem to be all located in Germany; however, one of them is hosted with another AS (myLoc), which is good.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • zenkizenki Member
    edited October 2020

If you are looking for some free DNS hosting, even Vultr is good. They have locations basically across the world (Basically all of US, Canada, Germany, France, UK, South Korea, Japan, Sydney etc.) and you do not have to be a customer + DNSSEC, IPv6, SOA support and also custom nameservers!

• @HyperK9 said:
    you do not have to be a customer + DNSSEC, IPv6 and SOA support

Nice, thanks for this, will check them out!

Thanked by 1zenki
  • pbxpbx Member

@HyperK9 said: Vultr is good

Yep, really good alternative to CF for free anycasted DNS.

• Is it really free for non-existing customers, though? They seem to repeat many times that it is free for their customers only.

• maybe ask them? @Hetzner_OL

• @Unbelievable said:
    maybe ask them?

I meant the Vultr one. Hetzner writes that it’s free for anyone, you simply need an account. Vultr writes that it’s free for customers.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @sgheghele said:

@Unbelievable said:
    maybe ask them?

I meant the Vultr one. Hetzner writes that it’s free for anyone, you simply need an account. Vultr writes that it’s free for customers.

I dont think Hetzner is free to use for external domains, only for domains registered with hetzner. In the past the DNS console was a separated product for which you needed to pay extra to use it even for domains registered with hetzner.

• @rick2610 said:

@sgheghele said:

@Unbelievable said:
    maybe ask them?

I dont think Hetzner is free to use for external domains, only for domains registered with hetzner. In the past the DNS console was a separated product for which you needed to pay extra to use it even for domains registered with hetzner.

This likely changed recently:

https://docs.hetzner.com/dns-console/dns/general/dns-overview

Pricing

At the moment DNS console is available at not extra cost. You can use DNS console with your current robot or cloud account. For non-Hetzner customers you can create a free account to use DNS console.

Who can use Hetzner DNS console?

Hetzner Online DNS console is available for all robot and cloud costumers as well as non-Hetzner resources. It is not nessecery that you are a Hetzner customer. You can create a free account to use DNS console.

Thanked by 2rick2610 Hetzner_OL
  • @sgheghele said:

@rick2610 said:

@sgheghele said:

@Unbelievable said:
    maybe ask them?

This likely changed recently:

https://docs.hetzner.com/dns-console/dns/general/dns-overview

Pricing

At the moment DNS console is available at not extra cost. You can use DNS console with your current robot or cloud account. For non-Hetzner customers you can create a free account to use DNS console.

Who can use Hetzner DNS console?

Hetzner Online DNS console is available for all robot and cloud costumers as well as non-Hetzner resources. It is not nessecery that you are a Hetzner customer. You can create a free account to use DNS console.

ok thx, i was not aware of it.

• @sgheghele said:
    Is it really free for non-existing customers, though? They seem to repeat many times that it is free for their customers only.

Yep it is, I have a 2nd dormant Vultr account with nothing on it except DNS.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Interested in the Hetzner one, or my other thought was putting all the domains in cloudflare.