Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Practice for Serving a High Loaded (700-800 Concurrent Requests) Website - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Practice for Serving a High Loaded (700-800 Concurrent Requests) Website

2»

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    Look at mysql cache query. People have suggested me that on similar thread of mine. I just doesnt know how it works. I prefer redis. But if you dont want to tamper with the source code , mysql query cache is the best you could do.

I configured LSMCD for now. Let's check how it goes.

• A seperate Database server helps or split the database up to different tables to spread the load, can also try a MySQL Cluster.

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • nowthisisfunnowthisisfun Member
    edited October 2020

Did you try tuning the DB? It helped me a lot when running a Moodle server for ~2k concurrent users, had the same problem - DB server kept going down. https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Performance_recommendations#Database_performance

• FYI, Cloudflare just released an update to their Wordpress plugin for Automatic Platform Optimizations which uses CF workers to cache full HTML pages for guests https://blog.cloudflare.com/automatic-platform-optimizations-starting-with-wordpress/

Might help only for guest side. But your member login side will need backend optimisations for cache miss requests.

I did some benchmarks for CF Wordpress plugin's APO settings at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/cloudflare-wordpress-plugin-automatic-platform-optimization.20486/

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@sibaper said:
    whats the bottleneck from observation?
    Do you already put cache somewhere?

that server can handle the traffic, but without more information about your setup I only can assume that

I saw MySQL going down multiple time, I increased the connections but that didn't add much improvement. The Server has NVMe but speed was around 600 Mbps (Don't know why). Server load was going upto 25-30 (E3-1275 v5), so it couldn't serve much. I assumed Network speed for a time being but couldn't be sure what was causing the issue. On the different note, the client has CloudFlare $20 Plan infront of everything.

You probably need to increase the maximum ram usage for MySQL by increasing the buffer or you could be going OOM resulting in the high loads.

• @mezoology said:

@iwaswrongonce said:
    Whenever I see these, I’m always super curious who is serving this much traffic but can’t afford to pay someone to take care of it...

The same guys who love to maintain his own Ferrari.

These guys, to the degree they actually exist, probably know what they're doing.

Without any concrete data, this is just going to be a list of every possible thing you could do. OP doesn't even know what the bottleneck is...

Thanked by 2Mahfuz_SS_EHL pbx
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@iwaswrongonce said:

@mezoology said:

@iwaswrongonce said:
    Whenever I see these, I’m always super curious who is serving this much traffic but can’t afford to pay someone to take care of it...

The same guys who love to maintain his own Ferrari.

These guys, to the degree they actually exist, probably know what they're doing.

Without any concrete data, this is just going to be a list of every possible thing you could do. OP doesn't even know what the bottleneck is...

in my experience handling students exam and using the same software, the bottleneck is the php use a lot of cpu, not to mention the way wordpress and the theme works. out of the box mysql is capable of handling thousands of concurrent connection let alone sub 1000. It's just php that is slow handling concurrent connection. that's why I migrate to nodejs.

But I think, the exam is already over. exam usually last for a week. It's either OP has solved the problem, or the client using different exam solution (my guess is google form).

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited October 2020

I get sick to my stomach whenever someone talks about scalability and mentions the words "Wordpress" and "PHP".

Will humanity ever learn what a compiled language is, I wonder.

let alone what a log-structured merge-tree / B-Tree with O(log N) "database" + a trillion locks, is doing to cause the high %sy and call it a "bottleneck"

Thanked by 2jsg Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Jona4s said:
    I get sick to my stomach whenever someone talks about scalability and mentions the words "Wordpress" and "PHP".

Some reasonably good level of knowing and understanding databases before working with one would already go quite far, though.

@iwaswrongonce said:

Without any concrete data, this is just going to be a list of every possible thing you could do.

There is no serious vulnerability in testing I think, if it's not at production level ;)

• @Jona4s said:

let alone what a log-structured merge-tree / B-Tree with O(log N) "database" + a trillion locks, is doing to cause the high %sy and call it a "bottleneck"

Any recommendation of high performance compiled language.

Nodejs technically is a compiled language, anything better than it?

• @yokowasis said:

@Jona4s said:

Any recommendation of high performance compiled language.

golang, includes http server..one binary for everything

• @yokowasis said:

But it isn’t. Node isn’t a language. It’s a Javascript interpreter (which incidentally means it’s also not compiled).

Thanked by 2jsg TimboJones
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@iwaswrongonce said:

@yokowasis said:

But it isn’t. Node isn’t a language. It’s a Javascript interpreter (which incidentally means it’s also not compiled).

Well, you're nt wrong.

I said nodejs. Because it serve a compiled javascript. So, technically it's a compiled language.

@yokowasis An update, I installed LSMCD & OpCache & also configured LSCache, it decreased the server load a lot :smiley:

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    @yokowasis An update, I installed LSMCD & OpCache & also configured LSCache, it decreased the server load a lot :smiley:

Great. Although for the server spec, it really is overkill. It shouldn't be that heavy in the first place.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

well done 👍

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Is it still the same server? What's your typical CPU usage now?

@agentwp said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Is it still the same server? What's your typical CPU usage now?

No previously, it was a hetzner server with cPanel (E3-1275 v5 with NVMe). Now, it's php-friends 8 Core Plan with 40 GB Ram with DirectAdmin, I forgot the NVMe Disk Space.

• @iwaswrongonce said:

I'm guessing the OP is the hired maintainer but trying to figure it hence posting it here. Just my wild assumption.

@CasualCanvas said:

@iwaswrongonce said:

I'm guessing the OP is the hired maintainer but trying to figure it hence posting it here. Just my wild assumption.

No, I'm not hired maintainer. Actually, they tested couple of companies but those companies failed to accommodate within their budget. So, they reached me after getting recommendation. That's why I was looking to know about the best practice.

• CasualCanvasCasualCanvas Member
    edited October 2020

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@CasualCanvas said:

@iwaswrongonce said:

No, I'm not hired maintainer. Actually, they tested couple of companies but those companies failed to accommodate within their budget. So, they reached me after getting recommendation. That's why I was looking to know about the best practice.

So, still on point. You're getting paid for this, right? Just wanted to get that clear.

• @CasualCanvas said:
    So, still on point. You're getting paid for this, right? Just wanted to get that clear.

Psss, hey, don't ruin some kids business or you'll be ashamed from this guys friends. 😂