Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing changes to your cPanel (Effective Jan 1 2021) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pricing changes to your cPanel (Effective Jan 1 2021)

Comments

• Getting my popcorn ready for the "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps" rampage.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

its craaaaaaaazy

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

WHMCS has stopped transferring owned licenses from 25 September. I was not able to transfer a license, which left me thinking a change might be coming.

I used to say, with no viable alternative to cPanel, who is stopping them from a repeat price increase? But never anticipated this would come so soon!

Sure, DA is a good one but the most of average hosting users don't even know its name.

Thanked by 1pphillips
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:
    WHMCS has stopped transferring owned licenses from 25 September. I was not able to transfer a license, which left me thinking a change might be coming.

I used to say, with no viable alternative to cPanel, who is stopping them from a repeat price increase? But never anticipated this would come so soon!

Sure, DA is a good one but the most of average hosting users don't even know its name.

cPanel -> DA, WHMCS -> Blesta.

; )

• cociucociu Member
    edited October 2020

@MechanicWeb said: WHMCS has stopped transferring owned licenses from 25 September. I was not able to transfer a license, which left me thinking a change might be coming.

i am glad for this who hold them think the price will be millions , now is almost unusable, except if find customers to rent. hahahaha

Abut cpanel ,,,, until now we have use it but now definetly i am think to swich to DA.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said: WHMCS has stopped transferring owned licenses from 25 September.

Do you have a link on this? Seems like quite a development considering how active the secondary market has been on those.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • sibapersibaper Member
    edited October 2020

I'm flying

to the cloud

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@nem for ApisCP

Thanked by 1nem

@raindog308 said: Do you have a link on this? Seems like quite a development considering how active the secondary market has been on those.

It is a mess on their part, actually.

Found someone who would sell a license. Opened a ticket with WHMCS about a potential transfer, specifically asking if they would discontinue owned license in the future. They confirmed I would be able to transfer and there is no plan to discontinue.

A few days later I think on September 27 when the seller was ready to make the transfer, they denied the transfer on the same ticket.

One would have thought that they might have made a commitment when they gave me the go in their first reply. It seems they didn't think so.

They have updated their TOS, if you need a reference.

@armandorg said: cPanel -> DA, WHMCS -> Blesta.

Good luck with Blesta as a WHMCS alternative.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@AK_KWH said:

@ViridWeb said:

@AK_KWH said:
    Now wait for whmcs too

WHMCS already have similar pricing for their resellers/internal license

Again they are going to increase the pricing in 2021 you can say its just because of covid every single business is affected and that’s the reason of increase of pricing according to my own research everyone is charging 10x more then before in every single industry

Just keeping my eyes on DA now, just expecting @DA_Mark will give us few years to survive with DA

Wuhan virus or not, They will increase their price again for sure as they're belongs to the same greedy clan called "Oakley Capital"

• LeviLevi Member
    edited October 2020

In general cPanel is a good product, with a set of good tools. It is secure, given how much they got attention from crackers. It is product of many thousands hours of hard labor and massive investments.

It's becoming Big Corp product, where it is normal to pay 50 000 - 100 000 USD/month in licenses. They probably differentiating their market. PLESK will take care of medium to small business and cPanel Big Corps.

• @ViridWeb said:

@AK_KWH said:

@ViridWeb said:

@AK_KWH said:
    Now wait for whmcs too

WHMCS already have similar pricing for their resellers/internal license

Again they are going to increase the pricing in 2021 you can say its just because of covid every single business is affected and that’s the reason of increase of pricing according to my own research everyone is charging 10x more then before in every single industry

Just keeping my eyes on DA now, just expecting @DA_Mark will give us few years to survive with DA

Wuhan virus or not, They will increase their price again for sure as they're belongs to the same greedy clan called "Oakley Capital"

Oakley sell cPanel to CVC

https://www.cvc.com/media/press-releases/2019/oakley-capital-agrees-sale-webpros-cvc-fund-vii-follow-on-investment

• Oakley still maintains a $200 mill equity investment in WebPros

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

@jmginer said:
    https://cyberpanel.net/ it's a good option

No Softaculous support stopped me using them :|

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@coolice said: Oakley sell cPanel to CVC

cPanel is being passed around like a drunken cheerleader on prom night.

Thanked by 3coolice default K4Y5
  • @raindog308 said:

@coolice said: Oakley sell cPanel to CVC

cPanel is being passed around like a drunken cheerleader on prom night.

cPanel is passed around but their customers are the one that been raped :)

• The question I have on my mind is:
    Will HostMantis change their pricing again, and will we have another drama thread because of that?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

MantisHost raised fuckload of prices with the previous CPfinal price increase.

They can tank this one.

• They will at least have to stop the 25% off coupon on WHT because that would be more than the difference between cpanel account costs (if maximum number accounts per plan) and the cost of the plan. In essence they are running close to a deficit if not a deficit) after the price hike.

• Glad I learned enough to go panel-less for almost all of my servers. cPanel keeps getting worse and worse.

The only server I still use a panel is my VM host, running proxmox and my main website host, running Virtualmin.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Actually, even if cheaper, I see DirectAdmin as a better product than cPanel.
    It supports CentOS 8 and MySQL 8 since a lot of time, Nginx and OpenLiteSpeed and a far better backup system.

I have the same amount of servers both with cPanel and DirectAdmin and the latter are definitely the most stable ones, with less support requests from the customers.

Also, cPanel more than once changed settings during upgrades, causing troubles to some customers. DirectAdmin NEVER does it.

• In 2020 cpanel increase pricing and 2021 they announced.
    So next 2022 they also increase its time to move to different web hosting panel completely.

• As an end-user of cpanel, I dont understand the criticisms. cPanel is a business, if it's not moving forward, it's moving backward. I dont know much about cpanel as a company, but maybe they are making significant investments in certain areas to keep cpanel relevant. I'm sure if there is an innovation in integrations, then I would expect to see it in cpanel first.

cpanel and DA etc are probably on a slippery slope to being made redundant, now that businesses are become less reliant on control panels and turning to products like square space and hosted platforms like wordpress or shopify.

A yearly price adjustment is standard in most industries.

I wonder what low end hosts would do if GoDaddy bought up cpanel and DA and either retired them or jacked up the pricing, who is prepared for that?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Adam1 said: or jacked up the pricing

...so you don't think they've jacked the pricing yet? Is that what i'm reading here?

wait for the WHMCS hike. That shared client paying you $4/year is going to cost you $8/year or something in licensing.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: wait for the WHMCS hike. That shared client paying you $4/year is going to cost you $8/year or something in licensing.

hi fran,
    I want to see you in Blesta, with that I'm sure they'll move on from WHMCS here.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2020

@fbmy said: hi fran,
    I want to see you in Blesta, with that I'm sure they'll move on from WHMCS here.

If I move billing panels it's more likely that I build something into stallion than hop to Blesta or Hostbill.

I have a lifetime license so short of them removing my support contract or trying to reneg on my license, we're fine. I think for people like me they'll put a version limit (you cant upgrade past here) like Ubersmith did.

Francisco

• lovelyserverlovelyserver Member
    edited October 2020

For Partners Program: $0.175 per month per account.

For a client will be $0.175 (cpanel account) x 12 (months) = $2.1 per year

So, from an yearly price, 2 USD will be just because of cPanel price. Plus WHMCS, plus other licences (cloudlinux, litespeed, Softaculous, backup). Also, do not forget the server price. 💰

To have a cPanel shared hosting will be something excentric 🤪 .

• HostXNowHostXNow Member
    edited October 2020

As soon as Acronis integration is available for DirectAdmin, I'll be all over it https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-cyber-protect-cloud-forum/acronis-directadmin

Thanked by 1lowprofile
  • why are they charging much higher now when they only use open-source software? Are they giving donations with these opensource that they are using?