Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building DNS like cloudflare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building DNS like cloudflare

I am wanting to make my own dns servers like cloudflare but for my use only. I do not know how to do this so any advice would be good to start off.

Comments

• AndreAndre Member
    edited August 2013
    1. buy hundreds of DDoS protected VPSes
    2. install PowerDNS/cPanel DNS only
    3. make clusers and setup anycast
    4. setup reverse proxies through clusters to source web server
    5. give clusers weird names
    6. bam, your own CloudFlare
    Thanked by 1Ruchirablog
  • I think what he asked for is only the DNS part. So not the DDoS protection part.

• @taronyu said:
    I think what he asked for is only the DNS part. So not the DDoS protection part.

Although I did say that half-heartedly, I interpreted "servers like cloudflare" as being both geographically redundant and DDoS protected. Besides, lots of providers are now emerging with LEB-priced VPSes, so it's not a bad option.

• ya I am just looking to scrub traffic before they reach my site, like spam bots and spam posters but I do not like they way cloudflare works sometimes.

• As for clustering... You already have that... :)

Oh and I got some new items in the works.... So keep an eye out for them soon...

• k let me know.

• wdqwdq Member

@Deathstarr said:
    ya I am just looking to scrub traffic before they reach my site, like spam bots and spam posters but I do not like they way cloudflare works sometimes.

I setup a filter in Nginx that basically has a page saying something like "Your IP address has been blacklisted. Please contact email with this address if you believe that this is a mistake."

The filter just gives everyone that matches an IP address on a list that message. I got the list by automatically downloading some spam databases on a daily basis with a cron job, as well a collection of manually entered IP addresses whenever I see them post spam.

It might not be the easiest or most automated way to do it, but it should be a good starting point.

• Yeah, I have seen article, just making the general comment. Like I said before, I wasn't being entirely serious there.

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited August 2013

To be honest, in the most cases it's not worth all the work. Just with an existing service like Rage4 or mine (dns4.pro).

For example it took me like 5-6 months, to get it like it's now with over 20 PoPs.

Anycast is the one difficult part, but clustering all the others monitoring concept, keep them updated, redundancy (even with anycast you need a concept), etc is not as easy as it looks in the beginning...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

If you are looking to emulate cloudflare, dont forget

1. install nginx module mod-set-random

2. if($random = 2) redirect ^ captcha.html;

Sometimes I swear those guys are making money by OCR'ing books.

• I'm not wanting many pops I just wanted to send all traffic through one DNS server to block know spam bots and maybe people that have attacked my site. I would use cloudflare but it seems to make my sites slower and can sometime give me downtime when I have used it in the past. Just looking to block ascertain traffic

• nagugnagug Member
    edited August 2013

@Amfy is there a way to setup vanity ns in dnspro?

• AmfyAmfy Member

@nagug

@Amfy is there a way to setup vanity ns in dnspro?

Technically yes, I'll send you a PM with details.

Thanked by 1nagug
  • c0yc0y Member

@Deathstarr said:
    I'm not wanting many pops I just wanted to send all traffic through one DNS server to block know spam bots and maybe people that have attacked my site. I would use cloudflare but it seems to make my sites slower and can sometime give me downtime when I have used it in the past. Just looking to block ascertain traffic

Then do what @wdq does on webserver level, not DNS level...

DNS is nothing more than a sign saying where your site is hosted.