Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Experience with ChicagoVPS Bargain Bin Dedis - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Experience with ChicagoVPS Bargain Bin Dedis

2»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    jbiloh i would advise against entirely turning off Cogent. They have a lot of customers and there is no better way to reach their customers than to use their own network. It's a better idea to just use their customers routes only instead of turn them off completely. I mean use only routes tagged with 174:21001 and 174:21101

This is a good suggestion, but our port carries with it a 10% CDR which means we pay for the bandwidth whether we use it or not. Our pure Cogent-Cogent traffic would be a lot lower than 10% of the port so we would be wasting resources.

Once our contract is over with Cogent they may be willing to give us a no-commit port but its hard to say. Their story changes every week based on what their promos are and how bad their quarter is going.

• @jbiloh yes i've heard they started offerong zero commit 10G ports lately at good price per used Mbps (90th percentile or something), but i've no idea if they offer it everywhere.

@rds100 said:
    jbiloh yes i've heard they started offerong zero commit 10G ports lately at good price per used Mbps (90th percentile or something), but i've no idea if they offer it everywhere.

The common understanding industry wide is that Cogent will throw crazy promotions at you when you're not looking to buy but the moment you show any interest they reel back in and the pricing goes up.

• LeeLee Veteran

@upsetcvps said:
    why should I be banned? Am I breaking any rules? I thought this place was for sharing reviews and experiences with VPS providers. I'm sorry, but CVPS is scam company.

Nobody will prevent you from stating your opinion but sometimes it gets over stated and you have went beyond over stating and are now trolling as you have nothing new to say.

If people search they will find all they need, good and bad about CVPS.

It really sounds like a classic case of another buthurt soul that thought he never needed his own backups.

@W1V_Lee said:
    It really sounds like a classic case of another buthurt soul that thought he never needed his own backups.

I don't see any reason for Liam to ban @upsetcvps but I think it's probably best for both @upsetcvps and ChicagoVPS to find a friendly solution so no one is unhappy going forward.

• @W1V_Lee said:

Nope, I make my own back-ups. That doesn't make the fact that CVPS lies about their back-ups any better though.

• @jbiloh said:
    I don't see any reason for Liam to ban upsetcvps but I think it's probably best for both upsetcvps and ChicagoVPS to find a friendly solution so no one is unhappy going forward.

Yes, if ChicagoVPS starts hiring competent people and being respectful of their customers, I would gladly stop. My only purpose in posting my experience is to warn others by making them aware of my experience.

• @CVPS_Chris said:

$100 says hes a provider. Just saying.

Nope, just a typical CVPS customer. You've seen my complaint several times now. You've either given a vague reply not addressing my concerns or made some offhanded joke comment. Par for the course with CVPS I suppose.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    $100 says hes a provider. Just saying.

My gut feeling as well, and it also obvious who.

• LeeLee Veteran

@upsetcvps said:
    Nope, I make my own back-ups. That doesn't make the fact that CVPS lies about their back-ups any better though.

I am not defending CVPS but they are not the only ones that will lie to you, they just got caught.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    I am not defending CVPS but they are not the only ones that will lie to you, they just got caught.

It seems to be common that when something hits the fan backups mysteriously become corrupted, lost, inaccessible.

A notable exception recently has been Ramnode (where backups were advertised and backups were delivered).

I think if you advertised backups, these should be completed and tested on a regular basis.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said:

@ShardHost said:
    It seems to be common that when something hits the fan backups mysteriously become corrupted, lost, inaccessible.

The fact you both are forgetting the fact where, the day of the breach, not only did they start to delete the nodes, they also got into FTP servers because Solus stores the passwords.

Dont tell me that I lie about backups when more than 60% of the customers affected were restored. Yes it is unfortunate that this happened to the other 40% but I have no control over it.

• LeeLee Veteran

@CVPS_Chris - Oh sorry, because lying is not something you would do and therefore it is unreasonable to suggest it based on your sterling past.

• @jbiloh said:
    I expect a lot of people will be happy to know Cogent is going away.

I'm sad TBH... I can't say much for Telia, but XO has been a pain in my groin more times than I can count.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    The fact you both are forgetting the fact where, the day of the breach, not only did they start to delete the nodes, they also got into FTP servers because Solus stores the passwords.

Calm your panties. My message was not referring to you.