Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostslick - 2 major meltdowns - V. unreliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostslick - 2 major meltdowns - V. unreliable

Amidst of the flashy deals of black friday, i decided to go with one small OVZ plan from a provider called hostslick.

Now, by gods grace, nothing even remotely critical was hosted on the VPS(who would, on a 10 dollar box?).

I generally keep it idling,very occasionally use it to cough seed some private linux ISO's cough.

However, the host has faced very critical problems since i bought it, without even notifying of the issue, in the background, the RAID would meet with failures leaving data unrecoverable. Nobody told me, and it was gone for a few weeks. i had to manually raise a ticket to them to bring it to notice.
which was in march, forgiven.

today i logged in after a week to find... the whole VPS has been deleted?

I understand these things come dime a dozen so they come with no support. but raid failure, twice????

i mean i am not here to rant and create a ruckus... but... ill leave the details to someone who would be interested in buying from these guys in the future.

Answer to recently raised ticket of missing VPS.

Wish the best.

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited September 2020

Good thing Black Friday is only 2 months away so you can find another provider for your $10. And I bet you get a bunch of - "Did you have backups?" "Take your backups and find a new provider" etc etc. I personally would just get a KVM at Hetzner for a few dollars a month and enjoy good service.

Thanked by 1godslayer
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited September 2020

OP, sorry to hear about your data loss.

Was the service actually deleted? Or just re-provisioned on a node that hadn't crapped itself?

"Did you have backups? Take your backups and find a new provider!" :)

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2020

I had similar issues (motherboard, fan....) and quite similar responses to tickets. Max @HostSlick offerd to move my VPS to a new node on Friday. I might take up that offer - this will be the third node since I got the service. I use it as a backup of a backup - so no major loss.
    Keeping it because for all the issues (downtine, etc) - they are responsive and support has been good.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2020

@vyas11 said:
    I had similar issues (motherboard, fan....) and quite similar responses to tickets. Max @HostSlick offerd to move my VPS to a new node on Friday. I might take up that offer - this will be the third node since I got the service. I use it as a backup of a backup - so no major loss.
    Keeping it because for all the issues (downtine, etc) - they are responsive and support has been good.

You both are/where on same node which failed.
    This node also was used for BF deals.
    It has been only this node making us alot of trouble. Others run very stable.

Can only apologize for now,. i aint happy with this as well.

In March we had the problem with this Node, that multiple SSDs failed at exact same time. They where dead. Now this. We think we got a bad batch or something.

Will not make any Black Friday deals this year.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Either that, the host had only one node to begin with.

Thanked by 1godslayer
  • @HostSlick said: You both are/where on same node which failed.

What I am curious about is why part of your business plan didn't include having hot spares for the equipment you have in production? That is the more concerning part of this story than the actual issue -- why when issues started to be noticed by your monitoring hadn't you started working with customers to migrate them to new hardware / notify them of pending failure and a maintenance period to swap out the hardware before it frelted? If you have an actual business plan it should include having hot standby parts for the servers you run which should be able to be replaced by remote hands upon notification of issue from your monitoring system and then be able to put it back into production -- and in the worse case scenario of a failure, you should be able to replace the infrastructure in some way with-in a reasonable period of time where it shouldn't impact service level you are able to provide.

So, can you expand on what actual proactive steps you take to guarantee the level of service / availability of your platform is maintained for your customers in these type of cases?

Cheers!

Thanked by 2godslayer zenki
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@UnixBug

Seriously? Most hosts on LET don't have that kind of luxury.

• @TheLinuxBug said: If you have an actual business plan it should include having hot standby parts for the servers you run which should be able to be replaced by remote hands upon notification of issue from your monitoring system and then be able to put it back into production

Please, they're with HostSlim. I think everyone remembers HostSlim was down for 72 hours. Don't expect anything like spare hardware.

edited September 2020

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@TheLinuxBug said: If you have an actual business plan it should include having hot standby parts for the servers you run which should be able to be replaced by remote hands upon notification of issue from your monitoring system and then be able to put it back into production

Please, they're with HostSlim. I think everyone remembers HostSlim was down for 72 hours. Don't expect anything like spare hardware.

Im uncertain about the 72h thing, we have been customer after this happenend it seems.
    Our issues not related to them.

We have spares stored there :smile:
    We actually run multiple Racks full with blade systems or 1U Servers, own Network, network equipment etc there.

Even got spare switches and network equipment. Unbelievable.

@TheLinuxBug said: So, can you expand on what actual proactive steps you take to guarantee the level of service / availability of your platform is maintained for your customers in these type of cases?

As said we have spares.
    To stay transparent , This BlackFriday node we have used SanDisk consumer SSDs to lower costs for hardware to make this prices possible. SSD Price was arround 62€ each. That was the biggest mistake ever. This SSDs seem worse. They where 3/4 months old during that time.
    The failure March also was related to this SanDisk SSDs, multiple SSDs failing at the same time. Very bad. One of each span in the array. And no there was no sign of failure before. Neither of monitoring, neither did raid controller or anything else show warnings. The drives just went dead in the same night arround 04:00.

Even in RAID10 this is very critical if two become dead.

Neither will we use such hardware again nor offer any such VPS deals. We just step back from this and working on things.
    We will come up with Backup Solutions for all existing VPS in future. Still working on things.

We run bunch of VPS nodes (all full) and this one is the only one making such problems ever.

Very sorry. My arse hurts so much too from this. Its making alot of work, loosing customers, loosing cash, making bad reputation, i very regret everything of this. So theres my word it will improve and never happen again.
    As said, we wont make any VPS deals this BF further.

• 5 days for a 2nd data loss? Surely give him at least 3 months!?!

Thanked by 1godslayer
  • godslayergodslayer Member
    edited September 2020

As i said, it does come down to paying what you get, for all the deals.
    have been with AntonySmith, Ishaq,Virmach in the past and i have never had such complaints. All through black friday deals. I think @VirMach is king of BFS for a reason...

For others, yes the service was deleted and i forgive you @HostSlick , you seem like a good person, but had it been some critical data, i wouldve regretted that a lot.

Most importantly, it shouldve come from your side, anything that goes wrong should come from the provider and with a sorry for service disruption, all my complaints were handled only after i raised tickets. Service deleted. No problem. Hardware offline. No problem again. Let it be till someone raises a ticket!

Since the dollars spent on it does not justify the ranting i'd do otherwise.So sorry hostslick, this is where we bid farewell!

Thanked by 2sportingdan kkrajk
  • sportingdansportingdan Member
    edited September 2020

another one in the same boat. I went through exactly the same experience @godslayer described.
    a few weeks ago, I noticed the disk writing speed on my VPS was miserable, like 30 MiB/s. I was going to open a ticket, but I completely forgot, since I had nothing important running on that machine.

the first time it happened, I only noticed on April 1st. I can now see from godslayer's screenshot the VPS went down 2 weeks earlier and nobody contacted me during that period. funnily enough, I hadn't noticed this time either, until I came across this post. I guess it's time to read a thing or two about system monitoring.

regarding HostSlick, Max comes across as a cool and helpful guy, but I'm glad I'm not running anything even remotely important with them. to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Thanked by 1godslayer
    edited September 2020

I thought... I was alone...

Anyhow, i am not ready to buy the excuse that we used cheap hardware, provide no monitoring, and certainly no SLAs for blackfriday and cybermonday because hey you paid 10-20 bucks for the same, cheap facks. It is indeed a slap on the face of people who would expect 'deals' to flow in during that time. :-/

Thanked by 1nyamenk
  • @HostSlick said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@TheLinuxBug said: If you have an actual business plan it should include having hot standby parts for the servers you run which should be able to be replaced by remote hands upon notification of issue from your monitoring system and then be able to put it back into production

Im uncertain about the 72h thing, we have been customer after this happenend it seems.

We actually run multiple Racks full with blade systems or 1U Servers, own Network, network equipment etc there.

@TheLinuxBug said: So, can you expand on what actual proactive steps you take to guarantee the level of service / availability of your platform is maintained for your customers in these type of cases?

As said we have spares.
    To stay transparent , This BlackFriday node we have used SanDisk consumer SSDs to lower costs for hardware to make this prices possible. SSD Price was arround 62€ each. That was the biggest mistake ever. This SSDs seem worse. They where 3/4 months old during that time.
    The failure March also was related to this SanDisk SSDs, multiple SSDs failing at the same time. Very bad. One of each span in the array. And no there was no sign of failure before. Neither of monitoring, neither did raid controller or anything else show warnings. The drives just went dead in the same night arround 04:00.

Neither will we use such hardware again nor offer any such VPS deals. We just step back from this and working on things.
    We will come up with Backup Solutions for all existing VPS in future. Still working on things.

We run bunch of VPS nodes (all full) and this one is the only one making such problems ever.

Very sorry. My arse hurts so much too from this. Its making alot of work, loosing customers, loosing cash, making bad reputation, i very regret everything of this. So theres my word it will improve and never happen again.

Must have been a bad batch or bad controller. We have several Sandisk SSD's in some production machines running fine for years.

• @HostSlick said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

As said we have spares.

Thanks for being that transparent.
    It really shows that you care about your customers.

I hope to see a BF deal, I want to get a server that's more that $5/yr from you :smiley:

edited September 2020

@Corey said:

@HostSlick said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

As said we have spares.

Must have been a bad batch or bad controller. We have several Sandisk SSD's in some production machines running fine for years.

Well i was guessing same, bad batch.
    They have been purchased at the same time. Same Seller. Failed all at exact same time.
    Unbelievable for myself. But all SSDs and even controller are not anymore. Everything replaced.

We are using otherwise, Samsung, WD, Micron. No problems.
    This SanDisks, only problems. After only few months.

Our other VPS Nodes never had similiar problems
    Even other Hosting Companys who rent dedicated servers from us for their VPS nodes from us,
    same usage, other kind SSD, never had single failures.

@g4m3r said: Thanks for
    being that transparent.
    It really shows that you care about your customers.
    I hope to see a BF deal, I want to get a server that's more that $5/yr from you

VPS may no deal this year :neutral:
    Whenever we can be sure such things wont happen again. then yes. :wink:

We where growing from 7 VPS Nodes in a half Rack to 120+ Servers with own Cisco Core router, network, multiple Racks within a year. Offering not only VPS but also Dedicated servers.
    Need to improve the VPS product line and make some money from all the investments :sweat_smile:

That being said, we will receive a last load of servers beginning November and may offer a storage dedi deal instead for BF (2x 6TB SAS and above). Lets see.

edited September 2020

@godslayer said:
    I thought... I was alone...

Anyhow, i am not ready to buy the excuse that we used cheap hardware, provide no monitoring, and certainly no SLAs for blackfriday and cybermonday because hey you paid 10-20 bucks for the same, cheap facks. It is indeed a slap on the face of people who would expect 'deals' to flow in during that time. :-/

Not a excuse. It really happenend like said. Which may have been a mistake, i stated as in the end it cost much more money, making a loss out of it.

We are a company, not a charity. Neither do we plan on closing any time.
    So of course we are trying to make profit and are looking for ways to lower costs.
    A good VPS Node will cost thousands of Euros just for the hardware.
    Not for running them. This also cost additional.
    IPv4 Adresses/leasing, Colocation, power, bandwith. HR. It costs money. Such machines use 30/50€ alone in power a month. (Speaking of exact this node, with present power reading it would be 52,35€ with our kwh price)
    So yes, we try to lower this costs to offer a good price as well. Theres competition we compete against. So.

It was very unexpected for us that they fail at the EXACT same time making the RAID redundancy useless.

Just saying.

I agree with you, you are right. This is a shame. I would feel same. I understand you may have started this topic. Its okay and well deserved. I agree we done wrong.
    But the said thing is the truth and not some story i try to sell you :smile:

I will go work for some hours now, you know where i am.
    If you want contact us on ticket stating this topic, we can see what else we can do for you as compensation.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2020

I'm on the same node as well, and this is the second time since Black Friday 2019.
    I paid $25, not $10.

On March 20 I found the box vanished in Cloud Panel. After complaining, I received a new box with different IP addresses.
    Today it's vanished again.

In Nexus Bytes terminology this is a toxic relationship. I shouldn't have bought an annual service. It's like wanting a divorce but the ex-wife is still on the lease until Black Friday.

edited September 2020

Well thank you @HostSlick for offer, i understand everyone out there is trying to make a profit and its great to see you grow. As i said, it isnt worth ranting about the services and SLAs as i probably never paid the right price for it(deal, anyone?).

I wish i couldve gone with you again, claim compensation for all this, but i wont. I did not start this thread at all to pressurize someone to give me 1 Terabyte space,unlimited bandwidth,20xipv4 just as a compensation whilst i pay 10 dollars. It was just to let future customers know about my bitter experience. If you do remember, i have vouched for your services even after last RAID failure. But my bitter experiences make me refrain from going ahead with your services. Honestly, it wouldve been nightmarish if anything critical was running on the servers to have it gone twice.

That said - its a wonder how we take our idling vpses for granted, always expecting them to be running when we need them, just to find out maybe theyre long dead. Like a friend we never cared about...painful 🎻 playing in the backdrop

• I guess I've been lucky. I also bought the Black Friday deal and have had zero issues with my VPS. I use it every day for non-critical stuff. I think it's been down once in this whole time for a few hours.

• dont understand how that is possible though as they have all the blackfriday accounts on the same node which reportedly failed twice??

@yoursunny said:
    On March 20 I found the box vanished in Cloud Panel. After complaining, I received a new box with different IP addresses.
    Today it's vanished again.

I reopened the ticket and again got a blank box with different IP addresses. Due date is Christmas. Does this count as a Christmas gift?

I loaned this box to my boy to set up an EU replica of his video streaming app. He's mad that the programs he spent days to setup are all gone.
    There's no data loss though because it's a replica. I told him that he needs to make an installation script…

edited September 2020

Thats pretty sad to see that nothing production worth can be trusted upon by the cheap VPS. Ive had similar experience with alpharacks but most of the other providers have been able to be pretty stable.

At the very least, I am never buying anything from blackfriday, ever again.

Ill take that advice of going with hetzner. I understand these things come cheap and have their sets of compromises, one data loss can mostly be excused, but not two over a period of six months. But well its a cheap 10$ VPS..... And nobody's running a charity..... I shall remember this on flash sales and any christmas/BF/CM offers.

@godslayer said:
    Thats pretty sad to see that nothing production worth can be trusted upon by the cheap VPS.

My main website is on SmartHost, purchased just after WootHosting/AlphaRacks vanished, not Black Friday.

My most stable Black Friday box is Virmach, $4 annually. It hosts my Asterisk server. I don't use it often, but the box never had a downtime other than VZ6 => KVM transition.

Thus, not all Black Friday boxes are bad.

• @Corey said:
    We have several Sandisk SSD's in some production machines running fine for years.

Nobody here heard about the 4.5 year power-on Sandisk self-destruct bug?

https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/25/hpe_ssd_death_fix/

Nasty one, that.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2020

@godslayer said:
    Thats pretty sad to see that nothing production worth can be trusted upon by the cheap VPS.

Thus, not all Black Friday boxes are bad.

Look out for Ultravps.eu BF. Premium since 4yrs. Generous traffic, Ram, cpu.

• Yes. I will look on the next BF sale. Till then ill let this hostslick VPS die as a whole

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • So i asked max @HostSlick to turn my VPS down for good.

However this guys humbleness impressed me and I realized that hostslick was actually suffering from a once in a lifetime crisis with their servers, that too blackfriday ones. i also realised this guy was very courteous and apologetic from the beginning and swore to never offer BF deals again(because it not being their domain)

I would love to have the same VPS with him(minus the unreliability) just because i fell in love with the IPv4 that he shared with me on my VPS :)

I really wish he prospers.

Sid

• @godslayer said:
    So i asked max @HostSlick to turn my VPS down for good.

However this guys humbleness impressed me and I realized that hostslick was actually suffering from a once in a lifetime crisis with their servers, that too blackfriday ones. i also realised this guy was very courteous and apologetic from the beginning and swore to never offer BF deals again(because it not being their domain)

I would love to have the same VPS with him(minus the unreliability) just because i fell in love with the IPv4 that he shared with me on my VPS :)

Sid

ahaha, hoping for some credits? other got that mail too, you know? :-P

Thanked by 2vyas11 sportingdan
  • @Falzo said:

@godslayer said:
    So i asked max @HostSlick to turn my VPS down for good.

Sid

ahaha, hoping for some credits? other got that mail too, you know? :-P

Not sure, what mail you mean.... but after this thread....i see my vps performance has improved and not facing any downtimes...

i will renew the vps unless i find a better BF deal this time.