Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best OS for DirectAdmin? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best OS for DirectAdmin?

2»

Comments

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2020

@sparek said:
    I've said it before, if DirectAdmin really wants to take on cPanel and really become a legitimate competitor, they probably need to drop their support for all the different OS's and focus on just one.

Now... one in this context can mean all RHEL variants (RHEL, CentOS, CloudLinux ... all basically the same thing). Or if they want to go with a Debian based OS, that'd be fine. Or even FreeBSD.

The point is, instead of spending all of their time fixing everything to work on a plethora of OS's - just pick one and focus all of your attention on that one.

That's my opinion anyway. Not sure what they would do with users of OS's that they (would presumably) drop, but that doesn't mean it should stop them from dropping them.

I think this should serve as a notice - anyone with plans to create their own control panel system - probably just best to pick an OS and support only that OS.

In the web hosting industry I think RHEL (CentOS/CloudLinux) are probably the most popular, so that's probably where I'd lean to. Are you going to lose out to people that prefer Debian over RHEL? Sure... but how many? 3 out of 1000? At what point does it become inefficient to support a handful of users that demand a non RHEL (or whatever distribution you choose) OS?

1. Why to made us more dependable on one vendor as now we are 100 dependable on CloudLinux which latest moves (wordpress as a service question survey on their servers,) I strongly oppose

2. Centos 7,8 and their derivatives even with 4.18 kernel do not recognize fully AMD family 17 (Ryzen 3800x which everybody here likes - you can see that notice on boot if you watch the IPMI - maybe 3600 too I do not have AX41 but i think the model family is the same ) so If someone uses those OS with this CPU or newer ones they do not get its full potential... I maybe got to test OracleLinux which is RH derivative but with 5.4 kernel UEK - Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel :o ... but Ubuntu is way ahead why to go to the hands of a corporation like oracle that has controversial moves in the past (MySQL , Open Solaris) to be able to access innovations ....

3. When native ZFS support came to Ubuntu as default (next month with 20.10 as in 20.04 it is marked as experimental) I'll plan to introduce hosting node with that passing ZFS benefits to the end customers - and proudly brag about that (with bubblewarp and cgroup limits ....)

(Support for Debian is support for Ubuntu and any other apt distro... )

Why DirectAdmin to loose it's role of a panel that brings latest innovations to the market and goes the route of cPanel which for five years cannot bring correct network manager support and that is the reason it still do not work on centos 8 and cloud linux 8 as version 8 has network manager only.... (Meme will be - cPanel, let support only RH derivatives, 2015 next great idea let's support service network only it is easy, even network manager is default in the new OS, 5 years later Surprised Pikachu - next version has only network manager)

1. DirectAdmin is the market leader at FreeBSD market - And If I were them I'll brag every where about that... that is one of the points we use when a customer is not sure to choose DirectAdmin or cPanel for a managed vps ... we tell them that DA panel is market leader in Unix / FreeBSD market as a part of the sales pitch :) - a lot of people feel more reassured to trust a market leader even it is not in the same category - than to trust copycat or brand with small market presence - Marketing 101 ... droping support for FreeBSD will loose them that title of a market leader....

P.S if updates are so hard to you to 50 servers you can use something as PSSH to execute it and only react on errors if there are such

P.S.S I had a VM which auto updates (yum cron + DA cron daily with no issues since August 2019 -maybe I'm lucky but IMHO it is stable enough to set it that way)

• @coolice said:

1. DirectAdmin is the market leader at FreeBSD market - And If I were them I'll brag every where about that... that is one of the points we use when a customer is not sure to choose DirectAdmin or cPanel for a managed vps ... we tell them that DA panel is market leader in Unix / FreeBSD market as a part of the sales pitch :)

Unfortunately FreeBSD licenses make up less than 0.25% (1/4 of 1%) of all licenses.. Not fun to be a market leader when it costs more to develop than sales bring in :frowning:

• spareksparek Member
    edited September 2020

@DA_Mark said:
    Unfortunately FreeBSD licenses make up less than 0.25% (1/4 of 1%) of all licenses.. Not fun to be a market leader when it costs more to develop than sales bring in :frowning:

This is kind of my point.

But... it's certainly DA's right to continue to support all that they support. I'm not arguing that.

But say 90% of your license are CentOS/RHEL/CloudLinux and a major issue comes up that takes 4 weeks to resolve in FreeBSD... why does 90% of your licensees have to wait for that fix just to satisfy 0.25% of your licensees? Why is development time spent on 0.25% of your licensees when the majority of your license are something else?

Again, I'm not saying DirectAdmin has to drop support for all of these OS's. I'm just trying to offer up perspective on why that might be a negative in term of DirectAdmin's development.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2020

@DA_Mark said:

@coolice said:

1. DirectAdmin is the market leader at FreeBSD market - And If I were them I'll brag every where about that... that is one of the points we use when a customer is not sure to choose DirectAdmin or cPanel for a managed vps ... we tell them that DA panel is market leader in Unix / FreeBSD market as a part of the sales pitch :)

Sorry to hear that , Just and Idea: if you can cover that from you marketing budget for some time until Ubuntu ZFS get enough traction and then you can claim to be the market leader in ZFS Hosting - A Panel used by host that care for your data integrity :) then left the leadership in FreeBSD Hosting to Virtualmin... Even though that is more technical and will be hard to pitch the customer that are not technical savvy it still will be a leadership ....

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2020

@sparek said:

@DA_Mark said:

This is kind of my point.

But... it's certainly DA's right to continue to support all that they support. I'm not arguing that.

But say 90% of your license are CentOS/RHEL/CloudLinux and a major issue comes up that takes 4 weeks to resolve in FreeBSD... why does 90% of your licensees have to wait for that fix just to satisfy 0.25% of your licensees? Why is development time spent on 0.25% of your licensees when the majority of your license are something else?

Again, I'm not saying DirectAdmin has to drop support for all of these OS's. I'm just trying to offer up perspective on why that might be a negative in term of DirectAdmin's development.

Everything that is compiled can get version up or down if you have issues, smtalk pointed that as an example for php upgrade (you then argued for remi is even faster than php.net) but here you can do upgrade/ downgrade with literally everything exim, dovecot apache etc ... with compiling you do not wait for the panel as in cPanel where they are vendor of the a lot of the packages to do something ....

P.S,I really recommend PSSH (Parallel SSH) if you got to update a lot of servers and do not trust (i do not - saltstack issue just reassure me not to trust) other automation softwares that run on the server

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2020

@sparek said: But CentOS/RHEL just have a larger market share now, that's why I would suggest going the CentOS/RHEL/CloudLinux/RPM/Yum route rather than the Debian/Deb/Apt route - but in terms of principles it's tomato, tomahto.

so that time wouldn't have to be invested into all of the lesser used OS packages.

@DA_Mark said: Unfortunately FreeBSD licenses make up less than 0.25% (1/4 of 1%) of all licenses.. Not fun to be a market leader when it costs more to develop than sales bring in

I do think DA is wasting time with other OSes. It is also slowing their development. It is a good panel, but it still has a long way to go ...with limited resources at hand.

Instead of trying to be a jack of all traits, it might be better to master just a single OS.