Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mcrypt for directadmin/cloudlinux with php7.x
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mcrypt for directadmin/cloudlinux with php7.x

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

hi

incase i, as a customer, request you to install and enable mcrypt, what shall a service provider do?

one of the service providers, i have a reseller service with, my client requires mcrypt
the service provider says "We have to run our servers to support hundreds of Resellers and we will continue to run our servers with maximum compatibility in mind"

and seems like, is not willing to install/enable mcrypt

in my servers, i have it installed/enabled for php7.x, but due to some constraints, i have the client hosted on this reseller hosting

let me know if enabling it will be a big issue...

thanks

Comments

• Move them to your server. If they say no, it’s not worth it trying to bypass it, which I am pretty sure is impossible anyway.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2020

Depending on the PHP version, you should be able to install/enable Mcrypt using the PHP selector option (since the host is using cloudlinux).

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@seriesn said: Depending on the PHP version, you should be able to install/enable Mcrypt using the PHP selector option (since the host is using cloudlinux).

Them using CloudLinux does not necessarily mean they enable altphp and the selector accordingly. While it makes no sense (to me), I have seen it happen...

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @RickBakkr said:

@seriesn said: Depending on the PHP version, you should be able to install/enable Mcrypt using the PHP selector option (since the host is using cloudlinux).

Them using CloudLinux does not necessarily mean they enable altphp and the selector accordingly. While it makes no sense (to me), I have seen it happen...

True and fair! Can’t assume anything these days.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • nemnem Member, Host Rep
  • Isn't the real answer to stop using it?

" The mcrypt extension has been abandonware for nearly a decade now, and was also fairly complex to use. It has therefore been deprecated in favour of OpenSSL, where it will be removed from the core and into PECL in PHP 7.2. "

Thanked by 2agentmishra kkrajk
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@skorous said:
    Isn't the real answer to stop using it?

" The mcrypt extension has been abandonware for nearly a decade now, and was also fairly complex to use. It has therefore been deprecated in favour of OpenSSL, where it will be removed from the core and into PECL in PHP 7.2. "

you mean to say, i should ask the client to get the script changed for him to get hosting under me?

• @agentmishra said:

@skorous said:

you mean to say, i should ask the client to get the script changed for him to get hosting under me?

I mean, that’s the best idea. No one should be using scripts that has outdated code. Long term headache.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • You can have mcrypt natively on php7.1.x, for php7.2.x and above, you should use the polyfill given above or use pecl but I'm not sure how that goes with directadmin or cloudlinux etc..

Assuming it's Laravel 4 (mcrypt is must for Laravel 4 and Laravel is a popular PHP framwork), it can easily be changed by simply altering this line (make a fork, update the file and use that branch instead):

https://github.com/laravel/framework/blob/4.2/src/Illuminate/Foundation/start.php#L27-L32

I'd require the polyfill on my project as dependency and remove this check (or alter it like it checks an mcrypt-specific constant.

Thanked by 2seriesn agentmishra
  • @seriesn said:

@agentmishra said:

@skorous said:

I mean, that’s the best idea. No one should be using scripts that has outdated code. Long term headache.

What's next? Should I stop using Windows XP too?

Thanked by 2agentmishra lokuzard
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@imok said:

@seriesn said:

@agentmishra said:

@skorous said:

What's next? Should I stop using Windows XP too?

yeah...

thats a cool idea!!! else use windows10 in 512mb ram and enjoy like in heaven...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Would mcrypt_compat work?

https://github.com/phpseclib/mcrypt_compat

Thanked by 1agentmishra