Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating VPS- Any easy way....?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrating VPS- Any easy way....?

So, like a lot of others to come I suspect, I've just recieved notification from BuyVM that the NY OVZ services are to be discontinued. (arrgh...)

Whilst I've obviously got backups of the data on the VPS (nothing's majorly important anyway, 95% of the stuff is static data being daily build archive for the OSS project I'm involved in), this install is 6 years old and I'd rather not loose it if I can help it, simply as some of the stuff took me a good while of experimentation to get right.

What I'm looking for (lol) is an easy way to migrate the entire configuration etc. to a replacement VPS if at all possible.
If this was a physical server, I'd probably just dd the entire drive and be done with it, but I don't think I can do this in quite the same way with a new VM.

The only non-stock services running that I can immediately think of are:

• Nginx / PHP etc. (3 vhosts)
  • MariaDB (Nextcloud on one vhost)

Other than that IIRC there's a SFTP account with a custom permission set (used by TravisCI to upload stuff) and the hardening I've done picemeal over the last 6 years.

BuyVM can't help directly, which I'm not really expecting anyway for what I'm paying, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, experiences or useful scripts for dealing with this headache.

Comments

• @leezer3 said:
    So, like a lot of others to come I suspect, I've just recieved notification from BuyVM that the NY OVZ services are to be discontinued. (arrgh...)

Whilst I've obviously got backups of the data on the VPS (nothing's majorly important anyway, 95% of the stuff is static data being daily build archive for the OSS project I'm involved in), this install is 6 years old and I'd rather not loose it if I can help it, simply as some of the stuff took me a good while of experimentation to get right.

What I'm looking for (lol) is an easy way to migrate the entire configuration etc. to a replacement VPS if at all possible.
    If this was a physical server, I'd probably just dd the entire drive and be done with it, but I don't think I can do this in quite the same way with a new VM.

The only non-stock services running that I can immediately think of are:

• Nginx / PHP etc. (3 vhosts)
    • MariaDB (Nextcloud on one vhost)

Other than that IIRC there's a SFTP account with a custom permission set (used by TravisCI to upload stuff) and the hardening I've done picemeal over the last 6 years.

BuyVM can't help directly, which I'm not really expecting anyway for what I'm paying, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, experiences or useful scripts for dealing with this headache.

Isn't your old OS end of life? Having to setup a server every 6 years isn't that time consuming... for the most part, linux config files are in plaintext.

There'll be big changes that you should be mindful of and implement them on a new 5-10 year supported distro. And you'll document as you go so you can re-setup backups and have a plan for if/when the server dies unexpectedly and data is lost.

• It's on Jessie at the minute, been upgraded 2 or three times over the years, and has always been quite forgiving.

Data loss has never been a big concern, it's just the utter pain in the neck of getting the thing working again I'm naievely hoping to avoid (Nextcloud was a pig to get setup)
    Plus, as soon as the old goes down I'll find something somewhere no-longer works that I've forgotten about.....

• it's quite a stretch ... however, you could try to use the good'ol rsync way: https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-migrate-a-hosted-server-in-5-easy-steps-with-rsync/

Thanked by 3leezer3 lokuzard Pwner