Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FI/HEL, 6 Cores / 12 Threads Intel Xeon, 2GB ECC RAM, 5GB SSD, 1Gbit, Backups included @ €3.16/month - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FI/HEL, 6 Cores / 12 Threads Intel Xeon, 2GB ECC RAM, 5GB SSD, 1Gbit, Backups included @ €3.16/month

Comments

• @larmarat said:
    YABS on the $4 plan:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-06-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Sep  9 16:49:24 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 12 @ 1200.053 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 1.9Gi
    Swap       : 119Gi
    df: no file systems processed
    Disk       :

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 47.36 MB/s   (11.8k) | 210.49 MB/s   (3.2k)
    Write      | 47.41 MB/s   (11.8k) | 211.59 MB/s   (3.3k)
    Total      | 94.78 MB/s   (23.6k) | 422.08 MB/s   (6.5k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 226.86 MB/s    (443) | 229.38 MB/s    (224)
    Write      | 238.91 MB/s    (466) | 244.65 MB/s    (238)
    Total      | 465.77 MB/s    (909) | 474.03 MB/s    (462)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 555 Mbits/sec   | 1.57 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 477 Mbits/sec   | 1.62 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 568 Mbits/sec   | 911 Mbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 617 Mbits/sec   | 1.68 Gbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 21.2 Mbits/sec  | 163 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 686 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 231 Mbits/sec   | 650 Mbits/sec
    Airstream Comms           | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 202 Mbits/sec   | 575 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 174 Mbits/sec   | 473 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 417 Mbits/sec   | 1.61 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 515 Mbits/sec   | 894 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 1.79 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 488 Mbits/sec   | 1.67 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Comms           | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 84.0 Mbits/sec  | 122 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 151 Mbits/sec   | 528 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 513
    Multi Core      | 3362
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3671662

I'm impressed with the quality of the site and the VPS, if performance stays like this you've got a new customer.

Finally, thanks a lot mate.
    This says more like thousands of word longer texts above..

• @Webdock_io said: You can never know for absolutely certain, even conceivably with KVM, that there is not some esoteric zero-day waiting to happen

True, but considering the rather huge deployment base (when compared to LXC for untrusted hosting like in the VPS world) I'm sure it'll get a lot more visibility very quickly (and hopefully also fixes). With LXC, it's really tricky as you likely won't even know soon enough.

@Webdock_io said: I just think we as a team need to "identify" a clear-cut market before investing in supporting another OS.

Fair enough, but please put Debian high on your list. It's close enough to Ubuntu that I'm sure you can iron out any kinks very quickly.

@Webdock_io said: What sort of price point and specifications would you suggest?

I really don't know but us cheapskates around here have been pampered in the past with 2GB RAM/20 GB Disk offers at €1/month from Aruba (recently deactivated unfortunately) and nothing less than a KVM at that! So there's a fairly steep expectation price/resource wise typically is what I would think. The only other LXC vendor I know of is TerraHost - so maybe look at their pricing and see where you can base line.

@Webdock_io said: This is the first time I hear of any shenanigans happening in /etc

Well, typical LXC hosts expect to overwrite (host node configured settings) a number of files in /etc/ and if they fail to do so, LXC won't boot. Then do make sure your kern.log file doesn't leak too much data into containers.

In case I do test the waters, I'll be sure to reach out with any pain points to help you improve. Not something I'm itching to do in the near future though - so my apologies.

• Already signed up long time ago, haven't try yet because of payment, glad to see new payment types in roadmap.

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Already signed up long time ago, haven't try yet because of payment, glad to see new payment types in roadmap.

Are you one of the guys having asked about Paypal? Well in that case, yes it's coming, soonish!

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Webdock_io said: What sort of price point and specifications would you suggest? I would be very interested to know! Also several of you mention Wireguard, I'll definitely be getting one of our engineers to go through that process and see what's involved.

It could be possible to use WireGuard, in user space mode. You can try this:
    https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited September 2020

@Nyr said:

@Webdock_io said: What sort of price point and specifications would you suggest? I would be very interested to know! Also several of you mention Wireguard, I'll definitely be getting one of our engineers to go through that process and see what's involved.

I can confirm your installer script worked without a hitch on our servers and a tunnel came up nicely on a test client (and was arguably even easier than the already easy as chips OpenVPN installation guide we have)

Would you mind us using/recommending your installer in a guide similar to:

https://webdock.io/en/docs/how-guides/how-to-set-up-openvpn-your-webdock-server

We would link to your Github page of course!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Webdock_io said:

@Nyr said:

I can confirm your installer script worked without a hitch on our servers and a tunnel came up nicely on a test client (and was arguably even easier than the already easy as chips OpenVPN installation guide we have)

Of course you can do that.

Your OpenVPN guide already uses my work, https://git.io/vpn is a link which points to https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

@Nyr said:

@Webdock_io said:

@Nyr said:

Your OpenVPN guide already uses my work, https://git.io/vpn is a link which points to https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

That is fantastic! Great job on those scripts Nyr. I have had the dubious pleasure of a manual OpenVPN setup in the past, and your scripts are a breeze compared to that.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@Webdock_io - I'm a bit jealous, you've problably been to our DC park in Tuusula/Helsinki, and I still haven't had a chance to go there yet. ;) --Katie

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @Webdock_io - I'm a bit jealous, you've problably been to our DC park in Tuusula/Helsinki, and I still haven't had a chance to go there yet. ;) --Katie

Hey Katie! Yes their facilities are really quite astounding. Really top notch and the staff there is super friendly as well! Great guys and girls over there. We forgot lunch one day and they came running down with food for us while we were setting up our racks :D

So yeah, go visit the DC park in Helsinki if you get the chance, it's awesome :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • When will the USA servers be back available?

@doughnet said:
    When will the USA servers be back available?

We expect/hope in about 3-4 weeks at the latest.

• just deleted account, i don't like complicated ssh key

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Webdock_io

119 Gi (presumably meaning 'GB') swap and 5 GB SSD?
    CPU 1200 MHz? Meaning 2 VM "cores" per phys. core?
    I don't care a lot about the usual disk benchmarks but from what I see there that SSD is not really fast.

• TBF, that is one bizarre plan config.

You're only making it inviting for miners or something.

• @Webdock_io
    since thats a whole lot of cores you are offering, good to use ur vps as media server?

@pedagang said:
    just deleted account, i don't like complicated ssh key

Hi Pedagang - can you explain what you mean by complicated? We really try to have a nice UI and the ssh key system is set up for easy reusability of keys you add in your account. I'd love to hear your thoughts on where we went wrong here.

@vimalware said:
    TBF, that is one bizarre plan config.

You're only making it inviting for miners or something.

Miners are not allowed, nor are neural networks or other sustained high-load utilization. Check out our terms and conditions for more info.

Webdock is really built for web hosting. There a lot of accessible CPU is great for burstability and if you need to churn out pageviews in a hurry, or have periodic jobs that need to do some work (like api / content ingestion ) or the like.

I think the only metric that really sticks out to you is RAM/Disk vs. CPU, right?

Thanked by 1vimalware

@jsg said:
    @Webdock_io

I don't care a lot about the usual disk benchmarks but from what I see there that SSD is not really fast.

On our Micro plans our SSD's are very "typical" SSD drives. Our Pro and Premium profiles have raid'ed nvme drives. So those are extremely fast.

However, it's tough to get a good benchmark on a zfs backed setup due to the ARC cache and all sorts of other things which give you strange numbers to say the least

• Feedback : I would expect to find a minimum 20GB ssd quota for the $4 tier. (especially since it's a zfs dataset, not LVM)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Webdock_io said:

@jsg said:
    @Webdock_io

On our Micro plans our SSD's are very "typical" SSD drives. Our Pro and Premium profiles have raid'ed nvme drives. So those are extremely fast.

However, it's tough to get a good benchmark on a zfs backed setup due to the ARC cache and all sorts of other things which give you strange numbers to say the least

• you didn't answer my questions. How come for example that a VPS with a 5 GB SSD has 119 GB swap space?
    • I'm willing to benchmark and review both the cheap special ("Micro plan") and one of your Pro or Premium products for free. Your "cost" would be just to provide the 2 VPS for 3 days or so for my testing.
  • @jsg said: you didn't answer my questions. How come for example that a VPS with a 5 GB SSD has 119 GB swap space?

probably some LXD/LXC oddities, I think if no vswap is set it could be possible, that you see the full amount of the nodes swap there.
    something like that probably also goes as reason for simply passing on all cpu cores. you see all of them but not how they are limited/balanced in the back.

Thanked by 2jsg vimalware
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Webdock_io said: Yep and that is explained in our post here - on-board redundant storage is a lot faster but not as "flexible" as network attached storage in the sense we cannot scale infinitely and have to keep a reserve for users who might want to buy more etc. - It's a tradeoff which we think is worth it for the performance gain.

You should talk to us about scaling your local storage to high quantities without performance sacrifices :)

We are located in Helsinki, Finland as well, tho our own DC not Hetzners.

@Hetzner_OL said: @Webdock_io - I'm a bit jealous, you've problably been to our DC park in Tuusula/Helsinki, and I still haven't had a chance to go there yet. ;) --Katie

Btw do you guys offer tours? I've been keen to visit there, but i've not seen any info about just plain tours, and we've not had an excuse yet to get a rack or two just for the curiosity. Hate wasting people's time so have not asked via sales neither. Personally i drive past the DC every now and then and is actually en route to our own DC at Lauttasaari, Helsinki :)

Been on our mind tho if we need to hastily scale we'd take a few racks there and bring FNE with us on the premises to get some more transit options there :) Tried to use offsite backups as an excuse but since we already got couple sites for that ... :/

@forces said:
    @Webdock_io
    since thats a whole lot of cores you are offering, good to use ur vps as media server?

No our plans are not really well suited for that sort of thing and depending on the media it may be in breach of our terms and conditions as we do not allow dissemination of copyrighted material

@jsg said:

@Webdock_io said:

@jsg said:
    @Webdock_io

• you didn't answer my questions. How come for example that a VPS with a 5 GB SSD has 119 GB swap space?
    • I'm willing to benchmark and review both the cheap special ("Micro plan") and one of your Pro or Premium products for free. Your "cost" would be just to provide the 2 VPS for 3 days or so for my testing.

Howdy. Simply activate the coupon in our post and you can do this testing for 3 days without it costing you a dime. You will need a valid credit card however.

On Linux, in a containerized environment, swap space is shared. We therefore have a huge swap space allowance to make absolutely sure nobody will ever run out of swap, as that - in our mind - would suck for the customer.

The small disk space allowance is explained in great detail in the original post and in other comments here.

@Falzo said:

@jsg said: you didn't answer my questions. How come for example that a VPS with a 5 GB SSD has 119 GB swap space?

probably some LXD/LXC oddities, I think if no vswap is set it could be possible, that you see the full amount of the nodes swap there.
    something like that probably also goes as reason for simply passing on all cpu cores. you see all of them but not how they are limited/balanced in the back.

Correct on all points :)

@PulsedMedia said:

@Webdock_io said: Yep and that is explained in our post here - on-board redundant storage is a lot faster but not as "flexible" as network attached storage in the sense we cannot scale infinitely and have to keep a reserve for users who might want to buy more etc. - It's a tradeoff which we think is worth it for the performance gain.

You should talk to us about scaling your local storage to high quantities without performance sacrifices :)

We are located in Helsinki, Finland as well, tho our own DC not Hetzners.

@Hetzner_OL said: @Webdock_io - I'm a bit jealous, you've problably been to our DC park in Tuusula/Helsinki, and I still haven't had a chance to go there yet. ;) --Katie

Btw do you guys offer tours? I've been keen to visit there, but i've not seen any info about just plain tours, and we've not had an excuse yet to get a rack or two just for the curiosity. Hate wasting people's time so have not asked via sales neither. Personally i drive past the DC every now and then and is actually en route to our own DC at Lauttasaari, Helsinki :)

Been on our mind tho if we need to hastily scale we'd take a few racks there and bring FNE with us on the premises to get some more transit options there :) Tried to use offsite backups as an excuse but since we already got couple sites for that ... :/

Interesting :) Well, the only way we could get you access is if we contracted out some work on our racks to you guys. Not out of the realm of possibility. Can you PM me as I am interested in hearing about your storage solution. AFAIK no storage - even Nvme over fabric - can ever compete with on-board PCIE lanes ...

@vimalware said:
    Feedback : I would expect to find a minimum 20GB ssd quota for the $4 tier. (especially since it's a zfs dataset, not LVM)

Out of curiosity, why do you believe a zfs dataset give you more disk space than LVM backed storage?

15 GB additional storage for a total of 20GB with us would only cost 1.87 Euro more/month

@Nyr said:

@Webdock_io said:

@Nyr said:

We have published our guide:

https://webdock.io/en/docs/how-guides/how-to-set-up-wireguard-on-your-webdock-server

Thank you for providing these useful scripts.!