Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Guy Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Guy Question

Hi All,

I am not new as far as working around networks and management of servers etc. But I mainly work/worked in the windows world. We do use VM's for a bunch of our Domain Controllers etc. but my experience with Linux has been purely at home proof of concept stuff. And some desktops.

My question is I notice deals for Linux VPS's that have low end specs that people snap up. What exactly would be a use for such a low end setup in most cases? I always felt I would need at least 2GB ram to breath.

Thanks!

sLY

Comments

• Linux does not require as much RAM as Windows, especially if running with no GUI. You can do almost everything on a 512-1GB Linux VPS except for stuff like some databases. A simple web server requires way under 2GB.

• I am running headless but have been playing around with some services that require a back end Database. Like Nextcloud and Kanboard.

• @mtsjr said:
    I am running headless but have been playing around with some services that require a back end Database. Like Nextcloud and Kanboard.

OK