Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress site on a 512 MB RAM VPS - Need Server Configuration. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress site on a 512 MB RAM VPS - Need Server Configuration.

2»

Comments

• Thanks for your detailed review.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • On the server you specified, redis itself will consume half the memory.

Maybe even nginx is not enough, you should know your ngix and server infrastructure well, and optimize it very meticulously.

Attention: Nginx is a perishable infrastructure due to its structure. Please be careful.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Verigom said: Attention: Nginx is a perishable infrastructure due to its structure. Please be careful.

What?

• @iqbal said:
    use centminmod :)

+1

A bit of old question but on kimsufi (ks-1 '2 gb ram') I'm using centminmod and it handles lots of request.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2020

@iqbal said: use centminmod

cheers

@pbx said: Exactly.

https://centminmod.com/ @eva2000 - can't go wrong.

thanks

@ederlezi said: +1

A bit of old question but on kimsufi (ks-1 '2 gb ram') I'm using centminmod and it handles lots of request.

FYI. I've posted the latest Wordpress full page HTML caching guide with query string cache inclusion at Nginx cache level bypassing PHP-FPM completely using Cloudflare DNS API validation for origin side Letsencrypt SSL issuance and Cloudflare is in default bypass/dynamic proxy mode for dynamically generated pages https://servermanager.guide/203/wordpress-cache-enabler-advanced-full-page-caching-guide/. You could optionally enable Cloudflare CDN side caching of full HTML pages for even better performance.

Tests used a 1 cpu, 1GB ram 25GB disk Upcloud U$5/month VPS server using AMD EPYC 7542 cpu for up to 1000 user loader.io tests. Not quite the 512MB VPS requirements the original poster wanted though.

Bit of nginx tuning on Centmin Mod site on same server with 1000 user constant loader.io

and at 5,000 constant loader.io users though strange loader.io actually tested 10k users from the chart ?

Thanked by 3vimalware ederlezi pbx
  • @vovler said:
    I ran a few tests, mostly because I love doing this kind of thing. For the LiteSpeed side of things I went with CyberPanel and LSWS (instead of OLS) since it's free for one domain. Centminmod compiles Nginx and PHP to squeeze a few % in performance, but that isnt something I'll make a 512MB RAM/10GB SSD go through. Decided to go with EasyEngine4 just for the sake of it. Unfortunately I've just learned that EasyEngine 4 dockerizes everything, so there's some overhead.

VPS (VMHAUS 512MB LV):
    CPU: 1x E5-2670
    RAM: 512MB
    SWAP: 1024MB (it really needed some)
    Disk: 10GB SSD

1) CyberPanel (Enterprise LSWS- free 1x domain):
    Centos 7
    Wordpress
    Newspaper Theme + News Cafe DEMO
    tagDiv Cloud Library
    tagDiv Composer
    tagDiv Social Counter
    tagDiv Standard Pack
    Caching plugin: LSCache

2) EasyEngine 4 (Docker'ed Nginx):
    Debian 9
    Wordpress
    Newspaper Theme + News Cafe DEMO
    tagDiv Cloud Library
    tagDiv Composer
    tagDiv Social Counter
    tagDiv Standard Pack
    Caching plugin: WP Super Cache (+ Autooptimize for js/css minification)

##### Loader.io Tests: #####

1) CyberPanel (Enterprise LSWS) + LSCache:
    Could still push it to 550 probably... didnt bother trying.
    Load: 500 req/s for 60 seconds

2.1) EasyEngine (Docker'ed Nginx) + WPSC Regular Cache (hits php before loading cached files):
    You can see that php-fpm being quite active in this one.
    Load: 100 req/s for 60 seconds

2.2) EasyEngine (Docker'ed Nginx) + WPSC "Super Cache" (Doesnt hit php if file is cached):
    THIS WAS A HEADACHE. Docker messes up nginx variables for some reason, so the original nginx config wasnt working at all. $uri was and $scheme were messed up. Managed to find a workaround for $uri and hardcoded $scheme to https and forced website to load via https.

Load: 300 req/s for 60 seconds

Conclusion:
    Considering that this VPS has a single E5-2670 core and only 512mb of RAM and still managed to have a bandwidth throughput of 400~500mbps shows how effective wordpress caching is and if you got a core of better CPU or 2x cores and 1-2GB of RAM, you could most likely push 1gbps.

If it's only for one domain, I'd go with CyberPanel + LSWS. Easy to install, great performance, you can use all LSCache features such as webp image optimization, critical css,...

Nginx can be pushed to work as well as LSWS if you have the free time to build it and optimize it. In this case I could try to serve precompressed cached files which would surely improve performance but couldnt be arsed to try it at this point. If you are getting so many visitors, you can afford a better VPS.

This is a interesting Test. Can you do a test on any well known shared hosting? This will provide strong evidence for the use of sharedhosting or lowend VPS. I can provide a hostmantis account if needed.
    Or I will do it myself once I have time, but most likely at winter since my college workload start heavy.

• This is a interesting Test. Can you do a test on any well known shared hosting? This will provide strong evidence for the use of sharedhosting or lowend VPS. I can provide a hostmantis account if needed.
    Or I will do it myself once I have time, but most likely at winter since my college workload start heavy.

Waiting for your test.

• @anisur said: Waiting for your test.

Thank you for your necropost.

@jbiloh @LEBAdmin can we have a policy of locking threads which are inactive for >= 9 months?