Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with unlimited BW
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with unlimited BW

Hello,
Recently I found this forum on google, I wanted to ask a small question..

I would need a small vps to put a personal site, the important thing is that it has unlimited bandwidth and that at least it can do 500mbps (I don't want a guarantee, because I know the price is little, but at least that it is not limited if I use in large quantities).

Location EU is fine, 2gb of ram, at least 2 cores, space is also fine 30/40gb of SSD, budget 10 euros per month

Thanks to all

Comments

• I am not sure why you need unlimited bandwidth for a personal site, but Hetzner have a very favorable amount of bandwidth quota for what you pay (20TB on VPS). It is easy to overestimate bandwidth and for a personal site I can not see how you would use more than 20TB per month.

If you're fine with unlimited 100mbit/s then Contabo might also be an option worth considering.

Thanked by 2kkrajk Hetzner_OL
  • SgrullinzSgrullinz Member
    edited August 2020

@Prime404 said:
    I am not sure why you need unlimited bandwidth for a personal site, but Hetzner have a very favorable amount of bandwidth quota for what you pay (20TB on VPS). It is easy to overestimate bandwidth and for a personal site I can not see how you would use more than 20TB per month.

If you're fine with unlimited 100mbit/s then Contabo might also be an option worth considering.

Because I want to put downloadable addons and with another server I have already passed 10TB, for that I needed

I do not want thoughts, because with hetzner the cloud just over 20tb you pay 1 euro per tb, it is not "cheap"

• @Sgrullinz said:
    I do not want thoughts, because with hetzner the cloud just over 20tb you pay 1 euro per tb, it is not "cheap"

You're not going to get truly unlimited bandwidth for what you're asking for, if you increase your budget to 25-30 euros a month you can get a dedicated Hetzner server with unmetered bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Buyvm offer unmetered bandwidth and also has Luxembourg location but the ports are shared and I don't think you will be a good Neighbor with that much bandwidth on a shared server.
    You can try kimsufi 100mbps unmetered

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • OVH vps has unlimited bw in Europe
    (2core-4gb ram-80gb nvme-500mbps bw)

• scaleway is another provider in France.

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

@Sgrullinz said:
    Hello,

I would need a small vps to put a personal site, the important thing is that it has unlimited bandwidth and that at least it can do 500mbps (I don't want a guarantee, because I know the price is little, but at least that it is not limited if I use in large quantities).

Location EU is fine, 2gb of ram, at least 2 cores, space is also fine 30/40gb of SSD, budget 10 euros per month

Thanks to all

Hey, welcome to the forum :)
    We could never guarantee 500mbps however we do allow our customers to use the available bandwidth from time to time as long as it’s considerate to other customers and isn’t used all of the time to the detriment of others. We offer unlimited bandwidth usage too.
    Check out our packages here: https://hostworld.uk/ssd-vps

Any questions just get in touch via [email protected] or via PM here :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Sgrullinz said: I do not want thoughts, because with hetzner the cloud just over 20tb you pay 1 euro per tb, it is not "cheap"

Actually, yeah, that's pretty cheap. 1TB on Amazon AWS is around $90.

20TB/mo = unlimited 160 mbit/sec connection.

At 500 mbps, you're looking for 162TB/mo. No going to happen for "cheap".

• @raindog308 said:

@Sgrullinz said: I do not want thoughts, because with hetzner the cloud just over 20tb you pay 1 euro per tb, it is not "cheap"

Yes, but it is for more serious stuff aws, certainly a normal person does not go to spend at least 40 euros per month that then you also have to count how you said the cost of bandwidth

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you double your budget you can get Hetzner auction server with unlimited 1Gbps connection.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

@Sgrullinz said:
    Hello,

Thanks to all

Check our Unmetered Line : Unmetered VPS ( 5 DC Locations )

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Sgrullinz said: Location EU is fine, 2gb of ram, at least 2 cores, space is also fine 30/40gb of SSD, budget 10 euros per month

I think the issue with budget, for your budget we can do desirable plan with 25-30TB bandwidth.

• @codelock said: Buyvm offer unmetered bandwidth

Wrong, limit is 100mbps per 4GB of Ram. Probably not enforced thought. That a marketing gimmick. @Francisco should clarify this on bottom note on his website.

• Sounds Contabo. It's very polarizing. Try it, then love it or hate it.

• @ben47955 said:

@codelock said: Buyvm offer unmetered bandwidth

Wrong, limit is 100mbps per 4GB of Ram. Probably not enforced thought. That a marketing gimmick. @Francisco should clarify this on bottom note on his website.

Wutt, did I read it wrong?

• @chocolateshirt said: Wutt, did I read it wrong?

What I mean is, for 4GB of Ram, you shouldn't have more than 100mbps on average over the month. Limit is fine for me, it's just unclear on the website and so, to what expect for a unknown.

• @ben47955 said:

As long as I remember 100mbos is for first few months and they give you free upgrade after several months

• Nothing is cheaper than Hetzner cloud (per Terabyte) for under $4. (20TB of shared 10Gbit pipe)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

@codelock said:

@ben47955 said:

As long as I remember 100mbos is for first few months and they give you free upgrade after several months

Let’s get clarification...

BY THE POWER OF THE PONY...I SUMMON @Francisco

• edited August 2020

@raindog308 said:

@codelock said:

@ben47955 said:

As per this thread - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154538/unmetered-vps-4g-ram-3-cores-100gb-ssd
    Check around the bottom - he does mention that.

To quote him:

For people that really want to give 'er on bandwidth (TOR, heavy seed boxing, big CDN's, etc) we ask that they keep to around 100mbit/sec 24/7 usage per 4GB RAM they buy. This keeps things pretty even and everyone on the same hardware should have a good amount.

If you need to burst here/there instead, then you're fine.

Francisco

• edited August 2020

@t0ny0 said:

@raindog308 said:

@codelock said:

@ben47955 said:

As per this thread - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154538/unmetered-vps-4g-ram-3-cores-100gb-ssd
    Check around the bottom - he does mention that.

To quote him:

For people that really want to give 'er on bandwidth (TOR, heavy seed boxing, big CDN's, etc) we ask that they keep to around 100mbit/sec 24/7 usage per 4GB RAM they buy. This keeps things pretty even and everyone on the same hardware should have a good amount.

If you need to burst here/there instead, then you're fine.

Francisco

In other words, it can be interpreted that reccomendation of bandwidth usage for 4GB Slice is ~32TB / mo

edited August 2020

@t0ny0 said: As per this thread - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154538/unmetered-vps-4g-ram-3-cores-100gb-ssd Check around the bottom - he does mention that.

But he doesn't mention this:

@codelock said: As long as I remember 100mbos is for first few months and they give you free upgrade after several months

• @codelock said: As long as I remember 100mbos is for first few months and they give you free upgrade after several months

I think you're talking about the 10 Gbit upgrade.

• @raindog308 said:
    But he doesn't mention this:

@codelock said: As long as I remember 100mbos is for first few months and they give you free upgrade after several months

Yeah that seems highly unlikely indeed.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ben47955 said: Wrong, limit is 100mbps per 4GB of Ram. Probably not enforced thought. That a marketing gimmick. @Francisco should clarify this on bottom note on his website.

It's fair share. We have some smaller plans using far far more than they would technically be allocated just because there's plenty of room on the nodes.

The rule was more important when we ran 1Gbit ports on our nodes but now that 2 of our 3 locations are on 10gig links it's not as bad.

The 100mbit/sec rule is mostly there so we can slap the egregious usage. We've had multiple users signup for a 512MB box and then try to slam 500 - 600mbit/sec sustained for days on end proxying google drive traffic and then get upset when we limit them.

It's quite rare that I cap people these days, it's almost exclusively the gdrive abusers. Most people that need to use a lot of bandwidth usually also need a lot more CPU/etc to handle it so they're upgrading along side thier growing BW demands.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Netsat
  • VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@ben47955 said: Wrong, limit is 100mbps per 4GB of Ram. Probably not enforced thought. That a marketing gimmick. @Francisco should clarify this on bottom note on his website.

It's fair share. We have some smaller plans using far far more than they would technically be allocated just because there's plenty of room on the nodes.

The rule was more important when we ran 1Gbit ports on our nodes but now that 2 of our 3 locations are on 10gig links it's not as bad.

The 100mbit/sec rule is mostly there so we can slap the egregious usage. We've had multiple users signup for a 512MB box and then try to slam 500 - 600mbit/sec sustained for days on end proxying google drive traffic and then get upset when we limit them.

It's quite rare that I cap people these days, it's almost exclusively the gdrive abusers. Most people that need to use a lot of bandwidth usually also need a lot more CPU/etc to handle it so they're upgrading along side thier growing BW demands.

Francisco

Still amazes me sometimes that people think fair use means unlimited. I guess they have no clue of the real costs of bandwidth. So I understand you capped somebody when they are pushing 600mbit/s constantly on a few bucks a month.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VPSSLIM said: Still amazes me sometimes that people think fair use means unlimited. I guess they have no clue of the real costs of bandwidth. So I understand you capped somebody when they are pushing 600mbit/s constantly on a few bucks a month.

Bursts are fine. But even after talking to the customer they were expecting to sustain 700Mbit/sec for 8 - 12 hours a day at $2/month.

We've added more bandwidth to the network (with more coming to Vegas this coming week maybe?), but still.

Francisco

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@VPSSLIM said: Still amazes me sometimes that people think fair use means unlimited. I guess they have no clue of the real costs of bandwidth. So I understand you capped somebody when they are pushing 600mbit/s constantly on a few bucks a month.

Bursts are fine. But even after talking to the customer they were expecting to sustain 700Mbit/sec for 8 - 12 hours a day at $2/month.

We've added more bandwidth to the network (with more coming to Vegas this coming week maybe?), but still.

Francisco

I get what you mean. Even if you, as provider or datacenter, expand your BW capacity still 2$/month for 700Mbit/s is making you a big loss.

• @raindog308 said:

sigh math on the weekend.

C'mon guys, he typo'd and nobody caught it? The numbers should have immediately been suspect.

He meant 20TB/mo = 60 Mbps unlimited

• @VPSSLIM said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Still amazes me sometimes that people think fair use means unlimited. I guess they have no clue of the real costs of bandwidth. So I understand you capped somebody when they are pushing 600mbit/s constantly on a few bucks a month.

Business ADSL contracts worked that way in my area. Pay a premium and have guaranteed bandwidth or pay fair share and get unlimited with no guarantee for cheaper price.

I wouldn't say it's uncommon for many, so best to be explicit in what is offered and expected.