Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent alternatives to Cpanel, Any suggestions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent alternatives to Cpanel, Any suggestions?

CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I am looking to offer shared hosting services and I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap alternative to cpanel. cheap as in free or close to free :smile:

Comments

• TejyTejy Member

Plesk is the best "alternative", it still not "free", but that's the best one.

• There is no alternative of cPanel that is free. You can check DirectAdmin :)

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

DirectAdmin? Ticks most (if not all) boxes.

Alexander

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

What do people think about vestacp?

• donkodonko Member
    edited August 2020

@CloudxtnyHost said:

If you find customers willing to pay hosting with vesta them is ok, as far i know @dpeca runs his own hosting with https://github.com/myvesta/vesta

Thanked by 1dpeca
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited August 2020

@CloudxtnyHost said: cheap as in free

So, you plan to charge customers money for this service or are you offering free hosting?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

DirectAdmin is affordable, while not free it is a great alternative.

If you're after a "free" control panel, the first glance at Cyberpanel looks good, but IIRC Rack911 may have found some security concerns with it. Don't hold me to it, but do some research on that.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@dustinc said:
    DirectAdmin is affordable, while not free it is a great alternative.

If you're after a "free" control panel, the first glance at Cyberpanel looks good, but IIRC Rack911 may have found some security concerns with it. Don't hold me to it, but do some research on that.

@dustinc is absolutely right about DA, as cPanel alternative, and CyberPanel - it's great, but is still not suitable (IMO) for fully featured shared hosting. For personal use it's awesome.

@jonesolutions nice to see you here :)

Thanked by 1jonesolutions
  • ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

I think Interworx will be good alternative of cPanel from next year. They changed their skin/theme and adding more features. Replacing qmail by postfix. Integrating cloudlinux, imunify360, Acronis, Jetbackup etc.

• I vouch for DirectAdmin. I use CyberPanel when I need to test something and need a control panel for it. I don’t use it in production. I learnt with VestaCP in the past that free panels can have huge security bugs. I was sending spam for 24 hours without knowing it. Until the provider gave me an abuse notice. Once I removed the panel and reinstalled the whole VM that was affected, the problem was solved.

This was years ago when I thought free is nicer. Nowadays I just pay for a license for a proper piece of software. Not even running a hosting business (gladly!). I just like a good night of sleep.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Virtualmin.

Try it, and you will fall in love with it :)

Thanked by 1pedagang
  • from my experience if VestaCP was still being maintained i would go hands down with it because it is so easy to set up and i get access to the functions i want with a few clicks. i can deploy a running website after a fresh installation in a few minutes with no issues. but since the project appears to be dead and is getting outdated really fast. So if you want to go with something similar there are 2 forks: myvesta and hesta.
    After moving from vesta i went to cyberpanel for a little bit ran into some issues then tried aapanel and been very happy with it. i particularly like the way it is designed and the choices it gives me without having to mess much on my terminal.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

+1 for DirectAdmin.

• HestiaCP and MyVesta are both actively maintained forks of VestaCP... Safe to use. However, a few catches:
    1. they are both not for CentOS
    2. Not tested / focused with WHM/Blesta/ other reseller hosting / billing panels
    3. (pardon) Not for the average dump f*ck devs for whom a Linux server means "cPanel access"

Thanked by 1dpeca
  • @CloudxtnyHost said:
    Hello,

I am looking to offer shared hosting services and I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap alternative to Cpanel. cheap as in free or close to free :smile:

Direct-Admin is a Best alternative and competitor of Cpanel now after price hike.
    Direct Admin is a cheap low-cost web hosting control panel.
    DirectAdmin also has a good user interface and everything that your customer required.
    Plesk is also another alternative but investor Cpanel and Plesk are the same.
    other are ISPmanager which are cheap web hosting control panel

The free control panel is a centos web panel where you can sell web hosting.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Go with DirectAdmin.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

DirectAdmin without doubts.

• DirectAdmin has been a very good replacement.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited August 2020

Cyberpanel is now one out of four panels recommended by litespeed, i asked in their discord how they have kept up with security, they told me they have fixed all the issues back then with the audit and hired a security auditor to audit their latest releases.

One thing people mistaken with cyberpanel is lack of support on the forum or discord, they do assist users best of effort for free users at platform.cyberpanel.net & enterprise users (which is $1 more than normal litespeed license) get normal support as you would like other paid panels.

• @CloudxtnyHost said:

Great and high performance

• I have been using Virtualmin for a very long time. The free version is good enough for me. You can give it a go if you want.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Interworx / DirectAdmin

@Ahfaiahkid said:
    Cyberpanel is now one out of four panels recommended by litespeed, i asked in their discord how they have kept up with security, they told me they have fixed all the issues back then with the audit and hired a security auditor to audit their latest releases.

Perhaps you have an idea how to limit login attempts (prevent BF) in CyberPanel?

• @vero said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

Perhaps you have an idea how to limit login attempts (prevent BF) in CyberPanel?

2fa is being added for the next version

https://github.com/usmannasir/cyberpanel/commits/v2.0.3-dev

edited August 2020

@Ahfaiahkid said:

Better late than never. I believe security audit could have missed other things as well.

Also I would recommend to clearly point out which features are exclusive for Enterprise version only, e.g. containerization.

• @vero said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

Better late than never. I believe security audit could have missed other things as well.

Also I would recommend to clearly point out which features are exclusive for Enterprise version only, e.g. containerization.

I'm not associated with cyberpanel, just a user on their discord & been using cyberpanel for a year.

• dpecadpeca Member
    edited August 2020

@mehargags said: 2. Not tested / focused with WHM/Blesta/ other reseller hosting / billing panels

I can confirm that myVesta works with Blesta - https://forum.myvestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77
    And works with WHM if you enable API - https://forum.myvestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39

Thanked by 2mehargags kkrajk
  • someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

Cyberpanel

• Easy-SCP / I-MSCP