Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a Managed Web Hosting business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a Managed Web Hosting business

voxinvoxin Member
edited August 2020 in General

Dear All,

I am thinking of starting a managed VPS/Web hosting business & i need your expert guidance on this.
Could you please advise if this is a good idea at this time & if not please let me know what's best way to start in order to get experience in this industry.
As I know there's huge competition in this industry but what can i make to make it a success ?.

Comments

• You can find a bunch of people here who will gladly use your name to create a new brand with. Good luck!

Thanked by 1voxin
  • @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    You can find a bunch of people here who will gladly use your name to create a new brand with. Good luck!

Thanks. I will definitely consider the advises provided by people here.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

I recently saw a video from '96-'97 where Steve Jobs said something like "start with a product which you can sell and then create technology, do not create technology and then try to sell, as it doesn't work this way". Can tell from my personal experience, that was brilliant advise.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Sit back and relax and find ways to draw your business plan and you can do wonders...

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited August 2020

@voxin said:
    Dear All,

I am thinking of starting a managed VPS/Web hosting business & i need your expert guidance on this.
    Could you please advise if this is a good idea at this time & if not please let me know what's best way to start in order to get experience in this industry.
    As I know there's huge competition in this industry but what can i make to make it a success ?.

Hello voxin,
    Welcome to Lowendtalk.

I won’t get much into details but here are the basic questions, if you can answer those, you should have a rough idea and so will we :)

• Why do you want to get into this industry?
    • Knowing how over saturated this industry is, what makes you different?
    • What are your competitive advantage against your competitors?
    • You mentioned manages hosting, is it going to be an one man show or team? Managed clients will have higher expectations and being an one mans show won’t help.
    • How would you be competing?
    • Are you ready to lose 100% of your investments for the first year or 2?
    • Do you already have an active client base?
    • Do you know your target demographic?
    • Have you ever owned any type of business (not necessarily IT sector)?
    • Have you done your market research? If yes, what was your finding ?
    • How will you be funding this business ?
    Thanked by 3vero voxin vpsGOD
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2020

@seriesn mentioned a lot of important things.

This could also become important in the future:
    https://lowendspirit.com/legal-advice-and-where-to-get-it

• jhjh Member

You're 15 years too late. Look at the way Rackspace is going.

• If you are planning to do it alone, it will very difficult to manage all things.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The fact that OP is willing to listen to people here on LET means -

the end is nigh on this one.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

Start as a one-man show.
    "Once you have cashflow, offload certain business tasks to pros who can do it better and cheaper than attempting it yourself. Hire when you have sufficient cashflow + cushion." (this is a quote from a Solo founder)

Don't let some negativity slow you down. remember we are your future competitors so take our advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck on the path.