Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts about LET/LEB and future improvements?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your thoughts about LET/LEB and future improvements?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
edited September 2020 in General

It has been 8 months since taking over LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.

Much has changed.

First I asked for feedback: https://lowendbox.com/blog/what-do-you-want-to-see-on-low-end-box-share-your-opinion/

Then we started with the progress:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/the-state-of-low-end-box-and-low-end-talk-2020-june-update-edition/

And then we continued making progress:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/the-state-of-low-end-box-and-low-end-talk-2020-update-edition/

In addition to everything included in the earlier posts, in the past few weeks @raindog308 has started publishing more content and offers, which has been a welcome help.

So now I wanted to hear from the community:

• How do you think we are doing?
  • What would you like to see done differently?
  • Any other thoughts?

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2020

What are your thoughts?

((What a stupid thread title; you want to set an example?)) /thought

Thanked by 2TimboJones ricardo
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@AlwaysSkint said:

What are your thoughts?

((What a stupid thread title; you want to set an example?)) /thought

I don't understand what you mean.

I'm asking our community for feedback so the title "What are your thoughts?" seems very appropriate to me.

edited August 2020

Jeez, needs to be spelt out!

Example of a thread title: What are your thoughts on LET changes.
    Simple. (A 12yr old would likely figure that one out :-/ )

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

Step away from the keyboard and go outside

edited August 2020

@SirFoxy said: Step away from the keyboard and go outside

As it happens, I did. ;) Crap light levels for wildlife photography though. :'(

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@jbiloh said: How do you think we are doing?

Better, but that wasn't very hard to do. Still, good to see more quality discussions in the forum and more offers too.

@jbiloh said: What would you like to see done differently?

Less blogspam, we are humans reading the blog, not crawlers looking for keywords.

• @jbiloh said:
    What are your thoughts?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Nyr said:

@jbiloh said: How do you think we are doing?

Better, but that wasn't very hard to do. Still, good to see more quality discussions in the forum and more offers too.

@jbiloh said: What would you like to see done differently?

Less blogspam, we are humans reading the blog, not crawlers looking for keywords.

Thanks for the feedback on that.

• @Nyr said:

Nothing surprising here, CC is very well known for spamming.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Nyr said: Less blogspam, we are humans reading the blog, not crawlers looking for keywords.

The vast majority of the content (offers, tutorials, polls, etc.) is written for this community and similar, but there are some things written to attract the general Internet. For example, few people on LET need an article on OpenVZ vs. KVM, but someone searching for info on what kind of VPS to buy might land on LEB because of it, etc.

That said, nothing is put out there solely as an attempt to game search engines.

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said: Nothing surprising here, CC is very well known for spamming.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

Yes, poor thread titles frequently trigger me on LET, as did this one. Though, to be pedantic, @AlwaysSkint, your example should have ended with a question mark! Too many questions get asked on LET that do not end in a question mark. I usually just see that from English as a second language users, not when chiding others on better titles ;)

@jbiloh
    Things I would like to see:

1. Posting new discussion in Requests starts with a template to fill in the budget, location, specs, etc.
    2. Ability to ignore users.
  • @TimboJones said: your example should have ended with a question mark!

Oops!

• In offers section we have vpses and dedicated servers. I would love to see vpses and dedicated servers offers in separate sections. People looking for dedicated servers dont look for vpses so its mess.

Thanked by 3Ernie TheKiller tjn
  • vbloodsvbloods Member
    edited August 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@dodheimsgard said:
    In offers section we have vpses and dedicated servers. I would love to see vpses and dedicated servers offers in separate sections. People looking for dedicated servers dont look for vpses so its mess.

100% agree with this. Maybe even a colocation offers section as well as an "everything else" offers section (Hardware, IPv4 rental, Ect).

• @dodheimsgard said:
    In offers section we have vpses and dedicated servers. I would love to see vpses and dedicated servers offers in separate sections. People looking for dedicated servers dont look for vpses so its mess.

Take a note. Also while you're at it. Make a section for providing service. sysadmin, article writer, updater, logo creator, template creatior, and such. As of right now, those people advertise themselves on General Section.

• @Ernie said:

@dodheimsgard said:

100% agree with this. Maybe even a colocation offers section as well as an "everything else" offers section (Hardware, IPv4 rental, Ect).

Honestly, I agree to disagree. While a random and super wow colocation deal might be appropriate and appreciated, it is completely against what LowenBox was built for. Cheap servers.

@jbiloh Here’s a food for thought, instead of asking for new deals and offers, why not pick offers and specials out of the forum and selflessly promote hosts, that is not one particular provider or 2?

Submitting offer may not be a suitable option for many who runs random flash sales, with limited stock. That might spice up the front end offerings.

I do enjoy randogs tutorials. So that is awesome. Keep that up.

Loved the community member interview series. You guys should definitely have pick more regular forum members and great contributors for interview.

I have enjoyed some of the recent posts, but would appreciate if it was detailed and not too basic.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/billing-software-platforms-for-your-hosting-business-compared/#more-22320

This isn’t a true comparison but rather a super simple, this is this and that is that comparison with no final verdict.

What happened to the unbiased server review series that was discussed in the past?

Can we not have expansion and basic product launch announcements or LEB? Feels too wht.

Cloudjiffy launches free jitsi hosting? Amazing and unique.

Provider xyz rented 1 server and expanded to another type of hardware? Meh. Basic news.

Last but not the least, an old school tradition of announcing the LET top provider result was skipped this year and somehow was replaced with a random top LA provider thread, the logic of which was never explained btw.

@jbiloh My comments are simply based of from a regular visitors perspective. You have done a fantastic job in turning things around and sticking through your promises. While some things are questionable, most things are sensible and moving to the right direction.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2020

If I was the owner of LET I'd try to think of the power of this community. Like, perhaps to build a service that would integrate with WHMCS/Hostbill/Blesta and record anonymised tokens for every person that chargebacks so anyone who has this app would be able to ban users that come with poor chargeback history? Something like fraudrecord, but powered by LET members...

OR, use the collective purshase power of the service providers/hosts here to get great deal on servers, services or even hardware...I mean most of us buy it, some of us resell it ... I think that LET could/should position themselves in the middle and build win/win services where the CPA for the provider would be zero, and the price for the buyer would be lower...and perhaps there'd even be a bit of $$ left for LET as a facilitator...Like, if LET came to me (OnApp) and said 'hey, OnApp-dude, we have 100 customers that are ready to sign up if you can do it at xx price" ... unless xx was plain silly I'd think about it. So would most other providers to the industry.

so many things to do :)

Thanked by 2raindog308 estnoc
  • lowfanlowfan Member
    edited September 2020

You should have chosen a better topic title

• Improve thread titles to describe the content of the message.

• @lowfan said: You should have chosen a better topic title

Why? It got all you mouthbreathers in here, didn't it?

• Now some body tell me how to unsubscribe from this thread I am new in here

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There, I've resolved the site's most pressing issue: this topic's thread title.

• @raindog308 said:
    There, I've resolved the site's most pressing issue: this topic's thread title.

Screw you! Now what am I supposed to complain about?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • There are a lot of trolls here .

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2020

@seriesn said:
    What happened to the unbiased server review series that was discussed in the past?

In the works and proceeding. And I'm as unbiased a reviewer and benchmarker as they come. I always tried really really hard to be fair and unbiased. Once for example a provider had problems (I think it was abusers) just on the node he had provided for a review. I didn't know about the problem and the review wasn't that great. Provider explained himself and the situation and I did a fresh benchmarks run and published the (now quite nice) results and also updated the review.

Also my reviews are largely based on dozens of benchmark runs over all hours of the day and multiple days - and the software doesn't know or care about whom I like or don't like, so even if I did have preferences my own benchmark numbers would call me a liar if I painted some provider to nicely or too ugly based on my personal liking him or not (which, again, is theory because I really try really hard to be unbiased)

Side note for those who care: so what is the difference between me linking or not liking (or having no feelings towards) a provider? Simple. If I like a provider I will be ready to discuss my findings with him and to provide some hopefully sensible advice. If I'm neutral (as in most cases) I'll be open to talk about one or two observations I made, and if I do not like him I do the benchmarks and review and that's it. So the difference is in how much I'm willing to give in addition and beyond the benchmarks and review.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @jsg said:

@seriesn said:

In the works and proceeding. And I'm as unbiased a reviewer and benchmarker as they come. I always tried really really hard to be fair and unbiased. Once for example a provider had problems (I think it was abusers) just on the node he had provided for a review. I didn't know about the problem and the review wasn't that great. Provider explained himself and the situation and I did a fresh benchmarks run and published the (now quite nice) results and also updated the review.

Also my reviews are largely based on dozens of benchmark runs over all hours of the day and multiple days - and the software doesn't know or care about whom I like or don't like, so even if I did have preferences my own benchmark numbers would call me a liar if I painted some provider to nicely or too ugly based on my personal liking him or not (which, again, is theory because I really try really hard to be unbiased)

This is bullshit. You don't provide the data, you provide unformatted "results" that are nonsensical. Providing the test data is the bare minimum, providing the parsing tool or spreadsheet that tallied the results would be expected in any professional testing capacity.

It's a pain in the ass to manually process the data, so one would just setup automation to do this easily, right?

Side note for those who care: so what is the difference between me linking or not liking (or having no feelings towards) a provider? Simple. If I like a provider I will be ready to discuss my findings with him and to provide some hopefully sensible advice. If I'm neutral (as in most cases) I'll be open to talk about one or two observations I made, and if I do not like him I do the benchmarks and review and that's it. So the difference is in how much I'm willing to give in addition and beyond the benchmarks and review.

Wtf, that's textbook bias.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones

Where are the goods? Where is your benchmark program, where are your reviews?

Oh, I see, you are all talking and no walking ...

• @lowfan said:
    There are a lot of trolls here .

It’s the internet, you expected something different?

• @Pwner said:

@lowfan said:
    There are a lot of trolls here .

It’s the internet, you expected something different?

That does not happen in webhotingtalk. I think it needs some moderation. It is not just cheap products and services here :)