Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM turns 10! New Stallion features launched: BGP Sessions, ISO Uploading, & 2F Authentication! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM turns 10! New Stallion features launched: BGP Sessions, ISO Uploading, & 2F Authentication!

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2020

Good shit Fran :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Congrats Fran! Nice features, definitely different.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • niceboyniceboy Veteran

Congrats! keep up the good work!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:
    And a small but useful feature I whipped up last night, you can now 'paste' on the virtual console.

Great for those times you need to copy/paste over a ssh-key or some ridiculous password.

Francisco

Hallelujah!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@SmallWeb said: Hallelujah!

That was basically what Anthony said :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Hello71Hello71 Member
    edited July 2020

how do you verify that someone else's ISO is what it claims to be? seems to me like it would be better to identify ISOs by a SHA256 hash or something. you could do accounting by splitting it into "owned" (counts towards storage quota) and "referenced" (doesn't count, but will become unavailable if all users delete that ISO), similar to the current system. there are certainly more "creative" solutions, such as splitting the cost evenly between all users referencing that ISO, but the system I outlined is no worse than the existing system for anybody.

• berkayberkay Member

@Hello71 said:
    how do you verify that someone else's ISO is what it claims to be? seems to me like it would be better to identify ISOs by a SHA256 hash or something. you could do accounting by splitting it into "owned" (counts towards storage quota) and "referenced" (doesn't count, but will become unavailable if all users delete that ISO), similar to the current system. there are certainly more "creative" solutions, such as splitting the cost evenly between all users referencing that ISO, but the system I outlined is no worse than the existing system for anybody.

To be honest, even with a hash value, I’d have to have an extreme amount of trust to use a shared ISO. So while adding hash values might be a nice refinement, I don’t really see it adding trust to that system or increasing its utilization.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Hello71 said:

To be honest I'd probably go down the route of automatically removing it when no longer mounted, no sharing.

@jackb said: To be honest I'd probably go down the route of automatically removing it when no longer mounted, no sharing.

We actually download the media, not do the HTTP stream stuff.

When an ISO is shared it simply duplicates the row in the database but marks the user ID.

When a delete happens it checks the database to see if it's the last copy of that media. if it is, it removes the file from the cluster.

Francisco

@berkay said: To be honest, even with a hash value, I’d have to have an extreme amount of trust to use a shared ISO. So while adding hash values might be a nice refinement, I don’t really see it adding trust to that system or increasing its utilization.

Sure, it isn't a feature I see a ton of use happening on but it can help cut down on how much we're storing.

It's something that took me an extra hour to put together, not some big investment :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1berkay
  • berkayberkay Member

@Francisco said:

@berkay said: To be honest, even with a hash value, I’d have to have an extreme amount of trust to use a shared ISO. So while adding hash values might be a nice refinement, I don’t really see it adding trust to that system or increasing its utilization.

Sure, it isn't a feature I see a ton of use happening on but it can help cut down on how much we're storing.

It's something that took me an extra hour to put together, not some big investment :)

Francisco

Yeah, that's what I was saying basically. It's just a nice convenience to some, and to you. It shouldn't be expected to provide a fully trusted way.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@berkay said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Yeah, that's what I was saying basically. It's just a nice convenience to some, and to you. It shouldn't be expected to provide a fully trusted way.

Why? My Windows XP SP3 ISO (share code: BRY4CWIFVRHVXRNK) and someone else's WinXP Virtio drivers cd (share code: ERSSLJPBA4VDSOZH) are legit and very trustworthy.

...although I claim no responsibility when your box inevitably gets popped

• Hey, since you offer BGP Session, do you support AS-SET?

@YekongTAT said: Hey, since you offer BGP Session, do you support AS-SET?

No.

You're going to have a hard time finding providers that allow AS-SET's while on a VPS.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@YekongTAT said: Hey, since you offer BGP Session, do you support AS-SET?

No.

You're going to have a hard time finding providers that allow AS-SET's while on a VPS.

Francisco

It's common in Europe, but rare in the United States

Can I add downstream prefixes?

@YekongTAT said: Can I add downstream prefixes?

Sure if the downstream prefixes are RPKI'd to your ASN.

I can manually approve prefixes as needed.

I'll think about adding AS-SET's but I'd need to do extra validation on a customer.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@YekongTAT said: Can I add downstream prefixes?

Sure if the downstream prefixes are RPKI'd to your ASN.

I can manually approve prefixes as needed.

I'll think about adding AS-SET's but I'd need to do extra validation on a customer.

Francisco

We hope to support AS-SET soon. Thanks Reply!

• Happy birthday!
    Could backup be restored or attached to other VM? It would be useful to restore only part of the files.

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Happy birthday!
    Could backup be restored or attached to other VM? It would be useful to restore only part of the files.

Backups are full drive snapshots, we don't mount a users VM and pull files out of it. Stallion doesn't support restoring backups to another VM but we can do that via ticket.

Snapshots can be restored to another VM in the same location though!

I've been looking for a way to 'mount' a backup as a read-only additional drive but that's going to cause issues with UUID's and all that.

Francisco

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • still can't get a VM here... NY always sold out. ;(

@network33 said:
    still can't get a VM here... NY always sold out. ;(

I have a pallet of new Ryzen nodes arriving in Telehouse tomorrow!

Plenty of new stock as well as NYIIX coming online!

Francisco

Thanked by 1cirrus_cloud
  • You can now upload your own ISO’s without any staff intervention inside of Stallion.

Love this and attest to that of it working.. ArchLinux FTW..

@letrocks said: Love this and attest to that of it working.. ArchLinux FTW..

Glad you like it :) I'm very proud of it. It was a tricky one.

Francisco

• as a little suggestion^^
    You can use tor shared hosting providers bzw onion adressen on request

• @network33 said:
    still can't get a VM here... NY always sold out. ;(

BuyVM uses monthly billing with payment due on the 1st of every month. So if you join mid month, you only pay half month's due.
    So all services are up for renew on the 1st of the month. So if you access the website on the 1st of the month, you will find some slots where people have cancelled it.
    This is just an observational secret before @Francisco shuts it down :smiley:

• An excellent achievement, there is room to grow! my respect

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • May I know about LVE limit in buyshared?
    CPU? 100%, Memory? 1GB, Entry Process? Inodes? I/O usage? IOPS? and subdomain limit,...
    Pardon me because I can't find any reference on website for each plan,...

• Awesome, Alpine Linux will be installed :-)

• @coreflux said:
    May I know about LVE limit in buyshared?
    CPU? 100%, Memory? 1GB, Entry Process? Inodes? I/O usage? IOPS? and subdomain limit,...
    Pardon me because I can't find any reference on website for each plan,...

Paging Dr @Ympker

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11KsIwi39Go1E7lFYeCe2UVPxEtmR2BqfLuAYuJuU4Xo/edit#gid=0

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • Happy birthday!
    I hope $15 USD / year plan will be avaliable in the near future :smile: