Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a Dedicated Server for Virtualization lab
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a Dedicated Server for Virtualization lab

Hey All,

This is my first post so I'll be a little succinct.

I am looking for a dedicated server for virtualization lab. After my google research I believe I'll need a SSD box for max performance.

Requirements

• 16 GB+ RAM
  • 512 GB+ SSD
  • Out of the box virtualization platform installation (Proxmox or ESXI)
  • 2.4GHz+ CPU

Typical setup

• 1 AD
  • 2 machines
  • 1-3 Linux machines

Budget - I am not sure what all options will I get but oneprovider.net (Didn't find good reviews) was offering something along the same lines for 19 EUR. So somewhere around that or at best < 30 EUR.

Let me know if there's more information needed.

Thanks

Comments

• Have you tried Hetzner Server Auction? https://www.hetzner.com/sb?ssd=true

They have used hardware and plenty on that page are the same spec as your requirements, with the cheapest at €26.89 (pre tax)

Unfortunately there isn't a completely "Out of the box" install of a virtualization platform, but if you connect to the rescue system (Which it's booted to by default) and run "installimage", there should be an option to automatically install Proxmox.

Hetzner is praised a fair amount on here and I find they're a really high quality for money provider, especially for requirements like yours. Unlike ones like oneprovider.net which always seemed a little suspicious to me. I think they specialize in reselling, while Hetzner is all owned.

I have no doubt there are others but Hetzner's offers are the ones I'm most familiar with and I can confirm they're great - good luck with your search!

• bluenotblackbluenotblack Member
    edited August 2020

Gonna second @Erisa recommendation of Hetzner. Has just recent set it up with Proxmox and it's pretty painless, send them the link to the ISO, request a KVM session 2 hours in advance and all done in no time.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Erisa said:
    Have you tried Hetzner Server Auction? https://www.hetzner.com/sb?ssd=true

They have used hardware and plenty on that page are the same spec as your requirements, with the cheapest at €26.89 (pre tax)

Unfortunately there isn't a completely "Out of the box" install of a virtualization platform, but if you connect to the rescue system (Which it's booted to by default) and run "installimage", there should be an option to automatically install Proxmox.

Hetzner is praised a fair amount on here and I find they're a really high quality for money provider, especially for requirements like yours. Unlike ones like oneprovider.net which always seemed a little suspicious to me. I think they specialize in reselling, while Hetzner is all owned.

I have no doubt there are others but Hetzner's offers are the ones I'm most familiar with and I can confirm they're great - good luck with your search!

@bluenotblack said:
    Gonna second @Erisa recommendation of Hetzner. Has just recent set it up with Proxmox and it's pretty painless, send them the link to the ISO, request a KVM session 2 hours in advance and all done in no time.

Thank you guys, I was aware of Hetzner but dropped it out of the list after reading a few instances where after collecting verification documents they cancelled the plan and disabled the account. I have read a few instances of the same over at reddit as well as here.

I am not entirely sure it is the case as of now, but if we were to consider anything apart from Hetzner, are there any good options? Just wondering.

I myself was leaning towards going for a Hetzner box with a close second from Server4You. However, Server4You doesn't specify anything regarding virtualization on their platform so I was really unsure of how it's going to work.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Maybe you can consider this?

Intel Xeon E5 2640
    6cores, 12 threads
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 512GB SSD
    Hardware RAID
    6x IPv4
    1gbit port @20tb bw
    45 euro /m

• @hakuna1100 said:

@Erisa said:

@bluenotblack said:

Thank you guys, I was aware of Hetzner but dropped it out of the list after reading a few instances where after collecting verification documents they cancelled the plan and disabled the account. I have read a few instances of the same over at reddit as well as here.

I am not entirely sure it is the case as of now, but if we were to consider anything apart from Hetzner, are there any good options? Just wondering.

I myself was leaning towards going for a Hetzner box with a close second from Server4You. However, Server4You doesn't specify anything regarding virtualization on their platform so I was really unsure of how it's going to work.

before signup with these ask for there kvm virtualization they allow or not.
    other tools you can use like virtualizor or solousvm for virtualization

• @HostSlick said:

Intel Xeon E5 2640
    6cores, 12 threads
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 512GB SSD
    Hardware RAID
    6x IPv4
    1gbit port @20tb bw
    45 euro /m

I didn't find the plan you mentioned on your website. @HostSlick

• @mhosting_in said:

@hakuna1100 said:

@Erisa said:

@bluenotblack said:

before signup with these ask for there kvm virtualization they allow or not.
    other tools you can use like virtualizor or solousvm for virtualization

Thanks, I should follow up with the support regarding my query. Thank you.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@hakuna1100 said:

@HostSlick said:

Intel Xeon E5 2640
    6cores, 12 threads
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 512GB SSD
    Hardware RAID
    6x IPv4
    1gbit port @20tb bw
    45 euro /m