Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Experience with ChicagoVPS Bargain Bin Dedis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Experience with ChicagoVPS Bargain Bin Dedis

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
edited August 2013 in Reviews

Thought I would post my review here.

http://coderandrew.com/review-chicagovps-bargain-bin-dedicated-servers/

TLDR

Pretty good service and pretty good pricing. @CVPS_Adam has been more than helpful. Chris too.

Comments

• mawrmawr Member

How is the network for game servers? I've been using their VPSes (KVM & OVZ) in various locations and they all just don't seem fast enough to handle more than 15 players.

• Since it's a review, you should probably mention the price. The term "reasonable" depends on the weight of one's wallet.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Sorry I pay $39 + $6 or $7 for 13 extra IPS.

Their network seems pretty good for me in their Chicago location. I run a Minecraft server and a Counter-Strike GO server without any lag or issues.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

@Jack said:
    Get a box in Buffalo and experience lovely pure Cogent

My CVPS Buffalo VPS has become increasingly Cogent over the past few months. 35-40ms pings from NYC over Cogent.

Another example of Cogent's loveliness:
    my location to VPS provider in Milan --routed over Level3 -- 100-110ms
    my location to dedicated server provider in Milan --routed over Cogent -- 140-150ms

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Jack said:
    Get a box in Buffalo and experience lovely pure Cogent, Chicago is one of the better locations though out of them all.

Cogent represents only 24% of our traffic in buffalo.

Telia and XO.

• @jbiloh when are you guys going to fix your awful odd/even routing?

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • manacitmanacit Member
    edited August 2013

I have a server in CC Buffalo and I definitely see a lot of XO in the mix - I also don't see a difference between even/odd routing, maybe I'm crazy?

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited August 2013

@Spencer said:
    jbiloh when are you guys going to fix your awful odd/even routing?k

Maybe it's your ISP... I think the tool mtr will be able to help you diagnose then issue. @rds100 mentioned it a couple of days ago.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited August 2013

I get Telia from the UK and Canada, XO from my home in Florida. As it should be, more or less. Only see cogent from a server in New York as well, 10ms away.

• My OpenVZ VPS been up for 48 days, which is all I care about :)

@Jack said:
    Haven't seen Telia in a number of months, my subnets I had with you went 100% cogent yet BuyVM has XO from the same source location?

That's not possible.

Right now, roughly, 50% of our traffic is over Telia, 30% XO and the balance Cogent.

We do actually have plans to cancel Cogent at the end of our term in 2 months. Their network is OK but the problems with Comcast are too much to deal with.

@Spencer said:
    jbiloh when are you guys going to fix your awful odd/even routing?

This happens because your going over 2 different carriers. One carrier has a better route than the other. Do a trace route to each IP and lets see what it says.

• @jbiloh said:
    We do actually have plans to cancel Cogent at the end of our term in 2 months. Their network is OK but the problems with Comcast are too much to deal with.

It's extremely annoying, Comcast is a pretty big eyeball. We've been routing around Cogent to Comcast for a while, things are getting worse and worse. I assume Cogent is holding out for a bigger settlement from Comcast . . .

• @Jack said:
    How is there different routes for IP's in the exact same /24? They're literally right next to eachother.

This is due to a manually configured routing policy for traffic balance, typically you would see that in a scenario where the device taking those routes can't handle full BGP tables and is default-route only from the upstream carriers. With default-route only you can't balance based upon destination ASN or route prefix as that particular routing device has no knowledge of that level of granular network detail.

• If you are considering ChicagoVPS, RUN THE OTHER WAY. There are similarly-priced competitors who do not have the terrible service here. A few weeks ago:

• Hacked and customer data revealed
    • Very slow to inform customers
    • When they did start informing customers, they contradicted themselves or flat out lied often.
    • Claimed to make back-ups after the last attack but turns out not all nodes have backups
    • They promised back-ups for me but then just inexplicably closed my ticket a few days later without providing any back-ups.
    • You can read more about it at vpsboard (but about 15 pages of records there mysteriously vanished). There's also a thread here at LET. I wish I had been keeping archives of both of these threads because posts have mysteriously gone missing on both sites.
    • Since they said everyone was restored my vps has gone down again and been unreachable on two more separate days! They don't reply to tickets when this happens until many hours later.

I cannot understand how anyone can still recommend cvps. Even when I was considering them, I saw a few negative reviews and thought nothing of them. But I regret it. CVPS cannot provide the service they promise you. They promise "99.9% up-time guarantee; your site will always be online". But they cannot do it and they have shown me this several times now.

I am leaving as soon as I can. If you're a customer, I don't need to tell you anything; I know already that you think the same as me. If you're thinking of becoming a new customer, do not do it. I could not wish this terrible service on my worst enemy.

And the story does not end there. I will be posting a fuller review soon. But do not waste your time with this incompetent company.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@upsetcvps said:
    If you are considering ChicagoVPS, RUN THE OTHER WAY. There are similarly-priced competitors who do not have the terrible service here. A few weeks ago:

• Hacked and customer data revealed
    • Very slow to inform customers
    • When they did start informing customers, they contradicted themselves or flat out lied often.
    • Claimed to make back-ups after the last attack but turns out not all nodes have backups
    • They promised back-ups for me but then just inexplicably closed my ticket a few days later without providing any back-ups.
    • You can read more about it at vpsboard (but about 15 pages of records there mysteriously vanished). There's also a thread here at LET. I wish I had been keeping archives of both of these threads because posts have mysteriously gone missing on both sites.
    • Since they said everyone was restored my vps has gone down again and been unreachable on two more separate days! They don't reply to tickets when this happens until many hours later.

I cannot understand how anyone can still recommend cvps. Even when I was considering them, I saw a few negative reviews and thought nothing of them. But I regret it. CVPS cannot provide the service they promise you. They promise "99.9% up-time guarantee; your site will always be online". But they cannot do it and they have shown me this several times now.

I am leaving as soon as I can. If you're a customer, I don't need to tell you anything; I know already that you think the same as me. If you're thinking of becoming a new customer, do not do it. I could not wish this terrible service on my worst enemy.

And the story does not end there. I will be posting a fuller review soon. But do not waste your time with this incompetent company.

you agaaain?

• @netomx said:
    you agaaain?

Wish he was fucking banned already...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • why should I be banned? Am I breaking any rules? I thought this place was for sharing reviews and experiences with VPS providers. I'm sorry, but CVPS is scam company.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Jack said:
    I agree with that but not the last part.

Thank you, I respect your opinion. All I can is share my own experiences. It's up to the reader to evaluate them.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

@upsetcvps said:
    why should I be banned? Am I breaking any rules? I thought this place was for sharing reviews and experiences with VPS providers.

Just that you don't do this and you play your little crusade with repeating yourself all the time. You're annoying. And don't get me wrong, I am not talking here about ban and stuff... but solely about your appearance.
    You said once, you said twice... ok, but you keep repeating yourself, that's all what you do here and at some point you're not the one who share reviews and experience but the one who play silly private crusade all the time.
    All what you posted we saw already from you. Not once, not twice.. but all the time. And as such that's not contribution to anything here. Start contribute, talk about something else otherwise you will be nothing more than annoyance. And I am not talking about annoyance to CVPS but to all the rest of us who needs to read your yada, yada, yada... all the time.
    You're turning into stalking internet psycho. Get yourself together, man.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thanks @Spirit , just what I thought and tried to say, but without my sarcasm hahaha

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

$100 says hes a provider. Just saying.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • mawrmawr Member

@upsetcvps said:

>

As a current customer who is not entirely satisfied, what you stated is true but I disagree with your take.

Though I can't say they are a highly reliable host, I must say their pricing is not "similarly-priced", as I have 2 ridiculously cheap VPSs with them, and 1 fair-priced one (with better performance). During the attack, I had one of the VPSs restored fully and another one restored to a backup from a month ago (which had client data in it). It was upsetting but it's a risk I took when I paid a very little amount.

Though not the greatest, I'd say CVPS ranks relatively high on my bang to buck ratio list, and is a decent choice for legitimately low-end or unimportant VPSs.

@Microlinux said:
    It's extremely annoying, Comcast is a pretty big eyeball. We've been routing around Cogent to Comcast for a while, things are getting worse and worse. I assume Cogent is holding out for a bigger settlement from Comcast . . .

I'm really looking forward to Cogent being gone, too. There is value there, but it's not enough to make up for the problems that come with Cogent.

• My humble experience shows that he.net seems to cause more network troubles than Cogent lately. At least from my point of view.

• ChicagoVPS is good, but sometimes it can get slow.

• @jbiloh said:

Chiming in on this, I appreciate it a ton. The Comcast - Cogent problems have been driving me crazy. At peak I can barely pull 1mbit single-stream.

I ordered "bargain bin" dedicated server here last time they posted them. It was a bit of a rough setup, but I have been nothing but pleased with the ChicagoVPS support as well as the quality of CC Buffalo. The fact that they're dropping Cogent really does away with my only gripe, which isn't their fault at all (why is Cogent always the one wrapped up in these dumb pissing wars?).

@manacit said:
    Chiming in on this, I appreciate it a ton. The Comcast - Cogent problems have been driving me crazy. At peak I can barely pull 1mbit single-stream.

I ordered "bargain bin" dedicated server here last time they posted them. It was a bit of a rough setup, but I have been nothing but pleased with the ChicagoVPS support as well as the quality of CC Buffalo. The fact that they're dropping Cogent really does away with my only gripe, which isn't their fault at all (why is Cogent always the one wrapped up in these dumb pissing wars?).

I expect a lot of people will be happy to know Cogent is going away. We'd turn then off right away but we want to maintain a certain level of overall capacity in Buffalo so we need to wait for some additional circuits to be turned on by Telia.

We actually have some other stuff cooking with other high quality carriers but I'm not ready to talk about it just yet. Details soon!

• @jbiloh i would advise against entirely turning off Cogent. They have a lot of customers and there is no better way to reach their customers than to use their own network. It's a better idea to just use their customers routes only instead of turn them off completely. I mean use only routes tagged with 174:21001 and 174:21101