Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone tried tardigrade.io from Storj?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone tried tardigrade.io from Storj?

Decentralized Cloud Storage ... S3-Compatible ...

The price is cheaper than AWS and Google Cloud.

Comments

• Backblaze B2 is also S3 compatible, plus it's cheaper and well known.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Tardigrade"...two things come to mind:

• Retarded
    • Tardis

Not sure I'd want to store my data with either of those...

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Thanked by 2raindog308 Pwner
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

Go play around with it. It's pretty cool. I think you get 1TB free for a month or something. They shard data across 80 machines around the world where only 29 are needed to recreate data, so it is theoretically reliable and a cool concept (decentralized!). Their code is all open source, too, so feel free to take a look under the hood.

While I don't like the mascot or name, here is a cool video:
    https://youtu.be/RtyBjWmbePQ

Disclaimer: I mine Storj, so the more users use Tardigrade, the more money I make :)

Thanked by 1xiaopigu
  • @raindog308 said:
    "Tardigrade"...two things come to mind:

• Retarded
    • Tardis

Not sure I'd want to store my data with either of those...

:D haha

• @saibal said:

cute :#

• xiaopiguxiaopigu Member
    edited August 2020

@lentro said:
    Go play around with it. It's pretty cool. I think you get 1TB free for a month or something. They shard data across 80 machines around the world where only 29 are needed to recreate data, so it is theoretically reliable and a cool concept (decentralized!). Their code is all open source, too, so feel free to take a look under the hood.

Disclaimer: I mine Storj, so the more users use Tardigrade, the more money I make :)

I mine too B)

"Decentralized" it's a good thing :#

• @lentro said:

Interesting, I just came across this when I was on the awesomeselfhosted github page. How much do you end up making? I'm thinking that I could possibly use this to recoup some of the monthly cost on a dedi with large storage drives.

• @lentro said:
    They shard data across 80 machines around the world where only 29 are needed to recreate data, so it is theoretically reliable and a cool concept (decentralized!).

Chances of these hosts going offline all together so you can't get your data back in one piece?

@buzzyLET said: How much do you end up making

$1.50/TB/month for storage
    $20/TB/month for egress bandwidth
    $10/TB/month for repair bandwidth (when other hosts go down, the data moves)

No payments for ingress bandwidth

Fills up at 10 GB/day for the first few weeks, so not the fastest, but it gets up later.

Take a look: https://storj.io/storage-node-operator/

• @0xbkt said:

@lentro said:
    They shard data across 80 machines around the world where only 29 are needed to recreate data, so it is theoretically reliable and a cool concept (decentralized!).

Chances of these hosts going offline all together so you can't get your data back in one piece?

Unlikely to happen :#

• I share storage to the storj network and if you think you can make a quick buck your wrong as they also withhold X amount of your payments.

@lurch said:
    I share storage to the storj network and if you think you can make a quick buck your wrong as they also withhold X amount of your payments.

Yeah, gotta wait 15 months for the vested money to come. Also, you have to pass validation (~1 month for you to gain a basic reputation), but after that, the data flow increases greatly. Still not enough to make money by renting servers, but it's certainly a cool way to monetize your spare hard drives.

• @xiaopigu said:

@0xbkt said:

@lentro said:

Unlikely to happen :#

Why? Did they add complexity to ensure physical distribution by region and internet connectivity?

How does performance work when pieces are split among many regions? Worse than typical backup solutions where you generally go with closest major datacenter to your location.

This is many times more than the (I think) 10 parts Digital Lifeboat tried with similar technology like a decade ago. At the time, all I could see was risk and inevitable problems.

I'm just saying, a major outage in other parts of the world will now start affecting you rather than the least amount of interruptions when going with closest Datacenter.

• This service has unnecessary overhead, and the performance of the network is not that great. Also, price wise it doesn't offer any advantages over say DigitalOcean Spaces or C14 object storage. On tardigrade 1TB of transfer costs $45 whereas on other more reputable providers, it is $10.

Expensive, Slower, Unreliable, Non-reputable, this service has got nothing going for it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones