Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which server to choose for PrestaShop (15,000 products)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which server to choose for PrestaShop (15,000 products)

Hello LET friends,

I wonder about the:

• VPS ELITE (from OVH), 8 vCore, 8-16GB RAM
  • CX41 or CPX41 or CCX21 or something else from Hetzner Cloud Servers

If someone uses these vps, I would ask for some benchmarks.

Usually, I put such stores on my dedicated servers or rented from different companies, but now I would like to take it to some cloud service provider so that I can easily scale if necessary and not worry about network security (boring setting the appropriate rules on FortiWeb/FortiGate).

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• what is your current usage?

• TejyTejy Member

I advise you to use something like:
    -2 cloud instances (hetzner, scw, do, etc) for hosting website
    -between 1 and 3 dbaas for your database hosting (2 if you have budget for, for an HA cluster)
    -and a load balancer to deal with your 2 cloud instances

It will help you to avoid any downtime!

• AndruAndru Member
    edited July 2020

Better get a dedi from hetzner. AX line. Will handle easly.

• umiumi Member

@Tejy said:
    -between 1 and 3 dbaas for your database hosting (2 if you have budget for, for an HA cluster)

+1 Automatic failover is a must.

• HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited July 2020

@mhosting_in said:
    what is your current usage?

4 vCore, 8 GB RAM, over 100 GB SSD
    Currently it works on some dedicated server (kvm). The management is done by another company and the client wants to leave it. 4 VCore are not enough and they want a lot of money for adding more.

• @Tejy said:

This is exactly what I want to do, but I did not know which cloud provider to choose. Scaleway is rather expensive. I prefer to buy 3 hosts from Hetzner/OVH and manage the databases myself.
    There is also an instance of Wordpress there, so I am also wondering not to take it to a separate virtual machine.

• LeviLevi Member

Begin with 64MB RAM and 1 cpu. Because if those 15 000 products will be visited by 2 or 10 daily visits - you don't need powerfull server.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Just pick up any AX dedi. The AX41-NVMe is perfect for this usecase: just get one and store a backup of the data on any cloud storage or storage VPS.

• @Hotmarer said:

@mhosting_in said:

Currently it works on some dedicated server (kvm). The management is done by another company and the client wants to leave it. 4 VCore are not enough and they want a lot of money for adding more.

so why you choosing VPS instead of a dedicated server.
    VPS servers are almost shared if you buy cheap VPS but in dedicated server all resources used by only.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2020

@mhosting_in said: so why you choosing VPS instead of a dedicated server.

Few reasons VPS over dedicated:

1. Flexibility to allocate resources;
    2. Lower price point;
    3. More locations (depends on provider);

Virtual server is always better than dedicated if VPS scalable enough. Nowadays dedicated server is some sort of "old technology". Everything is on the cloud, redundant, replicated, balanced and optimized. Pure hardware era is past. Hail AWS!

• @LTniger said:

@mhosting_in said: so why you choosing VPS instead of a dedicated server.

Few reasons VPS over dedicated:

1. Flexibility to allocate resources;
    2. Lower price point;
    3. More locations (depends on provider);

Virtual server is always better than dedicated if VPS scalable enough. Nowadays dedicated server is some sort of "old technology". Everything is on the cloud, redundant, replicated, balanced and optimized. Pure hardware era is past. Hail AWS!

VPS is created from dedicated. a vps never create a dedicated server.

• imokimok Member

@mhosting_in said: VPS is created from dedicated bare metal. a vps never create a dedicated bare metal server.

Fixed for you. VPS can have dedicated resources.

• @mhosting_in said:

@Hotmarer said:

@mhosting_in said:

so why you choosing VPS instead of a dedicated server.
    VPS servers are almost shared if you buy cheap VPS but in dedicated server all resources used by only.

I want to be able to scale services quickly. As you know, before Christmas there is the greatest traffic, so then I would add more VPS for a few days or a month.

• why would any one use VPS when cloud are cheaper, easier to scale whenever required?

I understand the cloud is also a VPS whereas the reliability and convenience of the cloud is way better than VPS provided by some small service provider.

Hetzner, Linode, DigitalOcean are best for cloud instance with instant deployment.

• Get a cloud storage from Google drive to store your images and just sync it with the product pages.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Hotmarer said:
    I want to be able to scale services quickly. As you know, before Christmas there is the greatest traffic, so then I would add more VPS for a few days or a month.

Yeah right, because only your shop is crowded before christmas and because the miraculous lala-cloud-land really has unlimited resources ...

First: Don't tell us - and don't be worried - about the number of products but about DB and server load!
    15k products isn't a lot, that's a mid-range humber. But as @LTniger correctly hinted at, requests per second which are largely a function of the number of clients/users and eventual promotions are important.
    Next: as @imok correctly hinted there are not only VPS but also VDS ('D' as in 'dedicated resources').

And that's it for now because one can not sensibly advise you without you providing some basic relevant info like in particular req/s (normal and high, e.g. pre Xmas), what DB and what web server you are using, etc.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @jsg said:

@Hotmarer said:

Yeah right, because only your shop is crowded before christmas and because the miraculous lala-cloud-land really has unlimited resources ...

First: Don't tell us - and don't be worried - about the number of products but about DB and server load!
    15k products isn't a lot, that's a mid-range humber. But as @LTniger correctly hinted at, requests per second which are largely a function of the number of clients/users and eventual promotions are important.
    Next: as @imok correctly hinted there are not only VPS but also VDS ('D' as in 'dedicated resources').

And that's it for now because one can not sensibly advise you without you providing some basic relevant info like in particular req/s (normal and high, e.g. pre Xmas), what DB and what web server you are using, etc.

I know that. With this post, I just wanted to ask whether to choose Hetzner Cloud or the new VPS series from OVH.

• LeviLevi Member

@Hotmarer said:

@jsg said:

@Hotmarer said:

I know that. With this post, I just wanted to ask whether to choose Hetzner Cloud or the new VPS series from OVH.

If in doubt, ALWAYS use hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hotmarer