Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blesta : Any Good ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blesta : Any Good ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
edited August 2020 in General

Hello,

Can someone point out advantages and disadvantages of Using Blesta for long run ??

I can see they improved quite a lot. A lots of modules, gateways are supported now.

Supported Gateways: https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Gateways
Supported Module: https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Modules

Comments

• mhosting_inmhosting_in Member
    edited August 2020

Advantages:
    1.they are cheap and you can buy with onetime pay at low cost
    2.good for small startup companies
    3. selling shared hosting VPS and a dedicated server is easy all module available
    4. domains also you can sell some modules

Disadvantages:
    1.they don't have owned affiliated module which very important for any online business and also very important for web hosting companies
    2.they have some domain module but the customer request domain registration module with more feature from so many years but still pending and complete for web hosting companies domain registration module important

• One of the biggest advantages for Blesta to me is that it is Open Source!

I second the affiliate program being a con, but if you don't require that I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

• @mhosting_in as @aaronstuder mentioned a native affiliate system has already been in 4.11
    Improvements in domain management are also being worked on as top priority by Blesta development team as you can see in their road map

https://dev.blesta.com/secure/selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel?rapidView=1&selectedIssue=CORE-3792

• That's awesome, I had no idea they just released a new version, I'll have to take a look at the new features. Way to go Blesta!

• verovero Member, Host Rep

Still not so many modules as for WHMCS or Hostbill (if you really need them), no automatic VAT verification for EU customers, but I like the overall simplicity and user friendliness. If you know what your billing system should do exactly, just check for these features, as for the rest - Blesta will manage everything well.

• Blesta is okay, but not good enough for me.

It seems that there are many limitations to it like:

• Cannot set multiple payment methods
    • Horrible link management
    • Limited support
    • No proper client registration method (You can do it, but it is in the order section, it's a mess)
    • Lack of modules
    • Selling domains is broken

Other than that though, I think they are pretty good, but I would not use them for my clients.

• Requires your customers to download a PDF for every invoice (No HTML invoice)
    • Their website does false advertising for "Multi-currency done right.". Customers are only invoiced in one currency (Based on customer's preferred currency).
    • No way to confirm a user's email address during registration/signup (Until its implemented in their v4.12)
    • No PayPal module yet created to do PayPal automatic subscriptions
    • Multi-company not done correctly. Customer's can only use ONE email address per company. Once its registered on one company, you can't use the same email on another company you create nor can you login.
    • No good way for customers to get a "free trial" AND apply a discount code towards future renewals.
    • No good way to automatically apply free trial (Unless customers clicks a link on your normal website with a special crafted URL or customer manually applies a coupon code). No ability to have a product automatically allow the first month free via the Blesta order page.
    • New major updates of Blesta requires you to reupload the entire source code and replace all files (No patches available except for minor security updates). The files in the update ZIP are all new dates (So you can't do the traditional replace "older" file).

I will say Blesta is good and excels in other areas. But the longer you use it, the more things you start to nit pick at.

Thanked by 2zenki imok
  • @Shoaib_A said:
    @mhosting_in as @aaronstuder mentioned a native affiliate system has already been in 4.11
    Improvements in domain management are also being worked on as top priority by Blesta development team as you can see in their road map

https://dev.blesta.com/secure/selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel?rapidView=1&selectedIssue=CORE-3792

they have planed 4-5 years ago and customer highly requests for this feature.
    if your business is medium or big it's not a solution and you can not wait for a decade.
    the solution is whmcs or hostbill

I like hostbill they have one-time pay and almost everything and better order forms then whmcs or blesta.

but for budget startup its good billing and affordable.

• mhosting_inmhosting_in Member
    edited August 2020

if they developed and release it good to hear and lots of customers happy.
    and one more awaited module is domain manager e.g whmcs or hostbill.

• As an end-user, price adjustment issues seem to be a big problem. For example, I buy "hosting product 1" for $9.99 a year, recurring. Hosting company then adjusts the price of "hosting product 1" to $11.99 (for new customers), and the price for existing customers gets changed too, which shouldn't happen.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Adam1 said: Hosting company then adjusts the price of "hosting product 1" to $11.99 (for new customers), and the price for existing customers gets changed too, which shouldn't happen.

@Actavus said: Their website does false advertising for "Multi-currency done right.". Customers are only invoiced in one currency (Based on customer's preferred currency).

the same issues in Clientexec

The issue which I personally don't like is SolusVM integration is sucks as anyone can guess the usenames, as Blesta use in the following format: vm100, vm101, vm102, vm103, vm104 and so on.

• jhjh Member

Development moves slowly and creating modules is relatively complicated. Two more things to consider.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Actavus said: New major updates of Blesta requires you to reupload the entire source code and replace all files (No patches available except for minor security updates). The files in the update ZIP are all new dates (So you can't do the traditional replace "older" file).

Blesta does offer patches but only from the last major.minor version so you can't upgrade from 4.9.0 to 4.11.0 via patches unless you patch from 4.9.0 to 4.9.1 up-to 4.11.0. it's easier to do 4.9.0 -> 4.11.0.

https://account.blesta.com/client/plugin/download_manager/client_main/index/3/

@Actavus said: No good way to automatically apply free trial (Unless customers clicks a link on your normal website with a special crafted URL or customer manually applies a coupon code). No ability to have a product automatically allow the first month free via the Blesta order page.

You can do this now as-well set the base price as 0.00 then renewal at the normal price.

@Actavus said: Multi-company not done correctly. Customer's can only use ONE email address per company. Once its registered on one company, you can't use the same email on another company you create nor can you login.

That's because all users are created into the users table. Maybe doable in the future but I don't know if there's a feature request fot it.

@Actavus said: No PayPal module yet created to do PayPal automatic subscriptions

You can force subscriptions but it doesn't automatically cancel subscriptions.

@Actavus said: Their website does false advertising for "Multi-currency done right.". Customers are only invoiced in one currency (Based on customer's preferred currency).

But they can change it as they wish. WHMCS doesn't even offer the later

@Actavus said: Requires your customers to download a PDF for every invoice (No HTML invoice)

This is being worked on.

@HyperK9 said: Cannot set multiple payment methods

You can when they select payment type they can select different ones on the right minus card merchants. They can even pay partial payment towards the invoice one way and then the rest the other way.

Thanked by 2Actavus Ympker
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2020

You can force subscriptions but it doesn't automatically cancel subscriptions.

Can customer select that whether he wants to make Subscription or One time Payment ??

Does the currency change according to the payment method they select ??

@Actavus said: Requires your customers to download a PDF for every invoice (No HTML invoice)

This is being worked on.

It's a vital issue I think.

You can when they select payment type they can select different ones on the right minus card merchants. They can even pay partial payment towards the invoice one way and then the rest the other way.

It should be selectable at invoice.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited August 2020

Does the currency change according to the payment method they select ??

If you set three active currencies, the customer can choose to pay using any of them afaik, depending on how your products and configuration is set up.

This is being worked on.

It's a vital issue I think.

Haven't had any complaints but it would be a nice feature. There are reputable third party plugins available.

It should be selectable at invoice.

AFAIK, Blesta takes the payment as it is then separately applies it to the relevant invoices. When you click to pay the invoice, it will take you to the payment section where you can set up multiple payments as @Blestastore pointed out. You can use this section to make general payments without even clicking the invoice.

E.G for a £10 invoice you can pay £5 with PayPal then £5 with Cryptocurrency in two payments and if the Blesta configuration is set to auto debit, it will be applied to the invoice automatically during the scheduled cronjob. Otherwise, you (customer) can just click apply credit using the same payment section.

/I reserve the right to be wrong

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • verovero Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

@Actavus said:
    (No HTML invoice)

One less template to customize.

• I'm a blesta happy owner from 3 years,
    Yes it still needs improvements but for me it passes whmcs in many levels, I still remember the laggy whmcs and will never return to it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ActavusActavus Member
    edited August 2020

@SmallWeb said: If you set three active currencies, the customer can choose to pay using any of them afaik, depending on how your products and configuration is set up.

The first payment on the order form can be any currency.
    But upon renewal the invoice generated uses the customer's preferred currency settings.

Example:
    -Purchase Product#1 using USD
    -Purchase Product#2 using EUR
    -Upon invoice renewal both invoices are generated using USD.

You must now as a customer pay a currency exchange fee to convert USD to EUR for Product#2 [As the renewal invoice is generated in USD for Product#2]. Even if you have EUR balance PayPal business account.

Instead Blesta needs to allow invoices to renew using the original currency it was purchased with. It shouldn't force a single currency for all renewal invoices.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Can customer select that whether he wants to make Subscription or One time Payment ??

Yep if you select: One time and subscription payments when possible

They will see two logos one saying subscribe and the other saying just paypal.

• hohlhohl Member
    edited August 2020

They are getting better and better every release, but they are still lacking very basic features. For example, no (correct) VAT handling for EU companies. However, I do see one big advantage over all the other panels: they are virtually open source. So, in case you were unhappy with all the existing panels and already thought about developing your own, you might first consider to base your development on their platform and just develop your own modules, payment gateways and so on, but at least already have a nice admin interface and base structure.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2020

@Jorbox said:
    I'm a blesta happy owner from 3 years,
    Yes it still needs improvements but for me it passes whmcs in many levels, I still remember the laggy whmcs and will never return to it.

Same here ;)
    Phil is running a tight ship :)

Thanked by 1Actavus
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

The good thing about blesta is they offer lifetime license

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • @mustafamw3 said:

And some hosts like BuyVM include internal license for free :)

Thanked by 2Francisco Ticaga
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@muffin said:

@mustafamw3 said:

And some hosts like BuyVM include internal license for free :)

Also NexusBytes

Thanked by 2Ticaga seriesn
  • lots of providers but i suggest one time in future blesta may increase prices like whmcs so blesta licence is helpfull

• pphillipspphillips Member, Host Rep

@Actavus said: No good way to automatically apply free trial (Unless customers clicks a link on your normal website with a special crafted URL or customer manually applies a coupon code). No ability to have a product automatically allow the first month free via the Blesta order page.

That's no longer true. We added a new pricing option for renewals when creating a Package, which means you can set a different new vs renew price. Set the new price to 0.00 and it can be used as a free trial, which will renew automatically at the renew price you set.

@jh said: Development moves slowly and creating modules is relatively complicated. Two more things to consider.

We have dramatically sped up development. We've already released as many minor versions this year as we did all of last year.

@Actavus said: Instead Blesta needs to allow invoices to renew using the original currency it was purchased with. It shouldn't force a single currency for all renewal invoices.

We are looking into that. The main thing is that Blesta stores the currency for all invoices and transactions, so if a client switches from one currency to another, their previous transactions still reflect the currency an value they were made in, unlike our competitor. But we hear ya, it would be great if a client could be billed in different currencies at the same time and we're looking into that.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Blesta does support multiple payment methods, including the ability to save multiple credit cards.

@HyperK9 said: No proper client registration method (You can do it, but it is in the order section, it's a mess)

Not everyone wants clients to be able to register without placing an order, but it's easy to create a client registration order form under Packages > Order Forms, just create an order form of the type "Client Registration" We are considering shipping with a default client registration order form, which would make it unnecessary to create one - would that resolve your concern?

• @pphillips said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Blesta does support multiple payment methods, including the ability to save multiple credit cards.

Maybe I wasn't doing it right, I'll try again.

@HyperK9 said: No proper client registration method (You can do it, but it is in the order section, it's a mess)

Not everyone wants clients to be able to register without placing an order, but it's easy to create a client registration order form under Packages > Order Forms, just create an order form of the type "Client Registration" We are considering shipping with a default client registration order form, which would make it unnecessary to create one - would that resolve your concern?

Hi, I think that would be a great option, and maybe admins can simply turn it on/off in the admin area and it would just show next to the signup link, it's a lot cleaner.

I would also like to have better links, like for support I think it is something like /plugins/support_manager/, when it could be something just like /support

I see that I was being a bit critical, but I still believe that Blesta is great! Keep up the good work!

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@HyperK9 said: Hi, I think that would be a great option, and maybe admins can simply turn it on/off in the admin area and it would just show next to the signup link, it's a lot cleaner.

Blesta can implement registration with on/off in the admin area. WHMCS has this option.

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL