Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FS.com any reviews? anno 2020 - Enterprise grade switches
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FS.com any reviews? anno 2020 - Enterprise grade switches

Hi guys,

I have searched a lot and cant find a single honest review about their switches. Now, i dont believe on their own fake reviews on product pages, anyone can figure these false reviews out, but it makes me more suspect about them.

So does somebody have experience with their switches? esspecially enterprise grade or 10Gb stack.

I am looking into this one for my usage in a data center: S5900-24S4T2Q 24-Port 10Gb SFP+ and 4 Gigabit RJ45 L3 Stackable Managed Ethernet Switch with 2 40Gb QSFP+ Uplink
https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/73467.html

Comments

• LeviLevi Member
    edited August 2020

Hardware is good, software part - no. For hobby data center buy without a doubt.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

No MPLS.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2020

@lowprofile said:

do you plan to use them in your quater/third/half/full rack? or are you looking to outfit an entire dc?

if its just a quater/half/.... and you dont need specific features such as mpls,... then you should be good.

at the price point of the switch you linked it actually makes sense to look towards cisco/...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

No personal experience with the whitebox switches they sell, but we use them a lot for transceivers and cabling and my experience has been pretty positive so far.

• @LTniger said:
    Hardware is good, software part - no. For hobby data center buy without a doubt.

It is actually for a production environment - mission critical 24/7
    Can you please elaborate the software part?

@Clouvider said:
    No MPLS.

I don't need MPLS - It has all the features i want, but i am more concerned about stability and actual performance.

@SGraf said:
    do you plan to use them in your quater/third/half/full rack? or are you looking to outfit an entire dc?

if its just a quater/half/.... and you dont need specific features such as mpls,... then you should be good.

at the price point of the switch you linked it actually makes sense to look towards cisco/...

Will be used for ½ rack at the moment as a core switch with some layer3 routing. Will handle some virtualization and dedicated servers. I cant find cisco at all in that price range?

@AlexBarakov said:
    No personal experience with the whitebox switches they sell, but we use them a lot for transceivers and cabling and my experience has been pretty positive so far.

Yes i know a lot use their transceivers and accessories, but i havent heard any single review about their switches.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

They aren’t that cheap. Yes it’s a double digit% saving but while I didn’t use it, I wouldn’t jump in to be honest, but then I’m always about quality.

They use Cumulous and so likely Quagga as a software suite, while Cumulous Quagga is better than the classic variant, in my opinion, it’s still far off enterprise software suite.

• In my case they have their own FSOS on the above model. I am strongly looking into a tryout.