Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 server for an image hosting service: looking for a location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 server for an image hosting service: looking for a location

Hello.

I’m an owner of FunkyIMG.com – free image hosting service. It's my personal project.
I was glad to be LeaseWeb’s customer for several (>5) years but being indirect customer caused us some problems + LeaseWeb doesn't want to deal with services that can cause abuses.
Now looking for another datacenter.

The problem is that as a free image hosting there are abuse reports to our service.
We are willing to decrease them – so we’ve installed cybertip.ca’s hash check service and EOKM’s filtering: every image is checked twice to ensure there is no child sexual abuse materials. Still there might be reports and we will fight to remove abusive content.

We had:
Dell R720XD
2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v2
32GB RAM
4 * 3Tb HDDs
Hardware RAID
100 Tb @ 1Gbit
for 99EUR/mo

And one more option outside Netherlands:
1 Xeon E5-2678 v3 12C/24T (30M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
3x6TB HDD (hardware RAID5)
1Gbit (50-100TB)
140EUR/mo

I need at least 8Tb of storage (hopefully RAID) and like 50-100Tb bandwitch.

For now I'm not sure where can I host such a project: looks like NL doesn't want to deal with that kind of projects, eastern EU doesn't have 1Gbit connections (ok, doesn't have cheap connections).
I'm not sure that UK/USA are good locations for us either.

Once again: we will remove abusive content within a given timeframe (usually it takes me <15 minutes)

Thanked by 1BlaZe

Comments

• @j0k3r said: bandwitch

Another one!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2020

Online.net, OVH France I guess, many image projects are hosted with them.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Thats some nice deals you have there :smile:
    I as well can see very good ones at OVH. Might check their "Advance STOR-1".
    I think it might fit

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@j0k3r said: bandwitch

Another one!

oh, ok, bandwidth :)

@stefeman said:
    Online.net, OVH France I guess, many image projects are hosted with them.

@HostSlick said:
    Thats some nice deals you have there :smile:
    I as well can see very good ones at OVH. Might check their "Advance STOR-1".
    I think it might fit

Not quite sure that OVH won't suspend us after receiving 1-2-3 abuse reports...
    Already mailed their sales team, waiting for a reply.

• Fast upload speed, great website layout, definitely a nice one. Online.net is good for such kind of services (the promotional 30 Euro server featuring 3*6TB disk last year is a beast), and they give you some time to deal with abuses (at least for the first couple of times).

And, just curious...26 million images hosted, that's a lot! But I see no ads on your website, nor is there any paid membership thing...how can this service pay off? Or you just don't care about that and do this with love?

• @dedipromo said:
    Fast upload speed, great website layout, definitely a nice one. Online.net is good for such kind of services (the promotional 30 Euro server featuring 3*6TB disk last year is a beast), and they give you some time to deal with abuses (at least for the first couple of times).

Thanks a lot!
    That is exactly the problem: "at least for the first couple of times" – I will not guarantee that abuses won't happened, they will.. I really see them decreasing after adding an online hash check service but still they can burst from time to time (several weeks without them and received complaints yesterday and today). If they can deal with that – it would be wonderful but I'm not sure wether their representative is here?

@dedipromo said:
    And, just curious...26 million images hosted, that's a lot! But I see no ads on your website, nor is there any paid membership thing...how can this service pay off? Or you just don't care about that and do this with love?

Yep, it's like a hobby that started 13 years ago :)
    Sometimes I do tests with banner ads (nothing annoying).

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • Like others said OVH is still your good bet. Online.net(Scaleway) sudden price increase and bad network won't help you in long run.

• Many providers are available for your usecase:
    WalkerServers (for LeaseWeb and NForce), Online.net and OVH. Probably a few more.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited August 2020

Not sure where you got the notion that Eastern Europe doesnt have "affordable" Gbit connections but thats kinda wrong.

What we dont have is decent dedicated server operators around here. Maybe a few but they are nowhere near the price youd find on LET.

Im looking at you zone! :|

You could ask @estnoc maybe he can hook you up with something.

Thanked by 1estnoc
  • @j0k3r
    Your sites have nginx misconfigured, which will allow to enumerate the .git directory.
    I sent you the sites on priv.

All data stored on these websites should be considered stolen and all users should be notified to change their passwords on other websites.

Looking quickly at the git, I noticed that there is data stored in the code, you should never write sensitive data to the git.

• @mrclown said:
    Like others said OVH is still your good bet. Online.net(Scaleway) sudden price increase and bad network won't help you in long run.

Messaged them already but still not sure that they are interested in that kind of project (awaiting their reply).

@serv_ee said:
    Not sure where you got the notion that Eastern Europe doesnt have "affordable" Gbit connections but thats kinda wrong.

My wrong, was thinking about Romania/Bulgaria and not EE/LT/LV. The problem is I don't know any companies there.. Any recommendations, please?

What we dont have is decent dedicated server operators around here. Maybe a few but they are nowhere near the price youd find on LET.

Im looking at you zone! :|

What do you mean?

You could ask @estnoc maybe he can hook you up with something.

Thanks, mailed them.

@Hotmarer said:
    I sent you the sites on priv.

Thanks a lot, replied!

• GodSpeedGodSpeed Member
    edited August 2020

Why website is the English Language, the forum is Russian?

Uh... I like that Russian forum

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited August 2020

You could try AlphaVPS.bg, but I’m sure that they don’t like services that attract abusers. Probably no provider will be happy with that.

As long as abuse stays within limits of copyrighted images, you’ll be safe in NL. Try Worldstream or YISP.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Feel free to hit me a PN, we can offer you dedicated servers for your project within our Frankfurt locations. Abuse management is fully automated, so there is no manual workload involved such as forwarding those emails.

Bandwith shouldnt be a issue, we got a lot of spare commitment and can do something very attractive meeting your previous pricing.

• kh81kh81 Member

I run image hosting and URL shortening which both kind of fall into this category. Feel free to pm me for some tips.