Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wrote a script that sets up desktop environment on VPS and can be accessed through any web browser
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I wrote a script that sets up desktop environment on VPS and can be accessed through any web browser

As title suggests, I wrote a one-click script that sets up a desktop environment on a spare Linux VPS, and such desktop environment can be access through any web browser, so that you don't need to install VNC client software on each of your computers.

I hope this script can be helpful to some people, because guacamole and desktop setup can be somewhat difficult to new linux users, and this script will take care of those steps.

Github Link

https://github.com/Har-Kuun/OneClickDesktop
Stars and forks are appreciated.

System Requirement

• Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, or Debian 10. 64-bit only.
  • 1 IPv4 (IPv6-only NAT should also work, but not tested).
  • At least 1 GB RAM

How to use

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Har-Kuun/OneClickDesktop/master/OneClickDesktop.sh && sudo bash OneClickDesktop.sh

What does the script do

• Compile Guacamole server from source
  • Configure and install Guacamole client
  • Serve Guacamole with Tomcat 9
  • Install xfce4 desktop GUI and firefox
  • Set up TigerVNC
  • Set up Nginx reverse proxy
  • One-click install Let's Encrypt SSL
  • Optionally and only experimentally, Chrome browser can be one-click installed using the plugin script

Other notes

• It is highly discouraged to install desktop environment within your current production environment, because desktop environment will bring complexity to your server security.
  • It is recommended to configure firewall after the setup so that your desktop environment will be safer.

All suggestions, questions, and bug reports are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2020

Nice.. more convenient way to use idling VPSes..

Thanked by 3dedipromo ariq01 Chuck
  • Thanks friend for sharing this,will try it out :)

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • What os you get in de desktop environment?
    Is it windows or ubuntu ?

• edited August 2020

@suricloud said:
    What os you get in de desktop environment?

of course it is debian and ubuntu

• @suricloud said:

It does not create a OS inside your current OS; it just installs desktop GUI and some programs related. So if you use Ubuntu, the system will still be Ubuntu; if you use Debian, the system will still be Debian.

• @dedipromo said:

@suricloud said:

It does not create a OS inside your current OS; it just installs desktop GUI and some programs related. So if you use Ubuntu, the system will still be Ubuntu; if you use Debian, the system will still be Debian.

Ok got it, possibility to have a installation script with windows :)

• useful one, thanks

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • Great stuff man, will check it out soon!

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2020

Nice contribution OP. I don't mean to demean, but

X2go /(nomachine) would be more performant no? (owned local computer)

I'd pick Guacamole only if your local device is some crippled computer like a chromebook/corporate PC.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @vimalware said:
    Nice contribution OP. I don't mean to demean, but

X2go /(nomachine) would be more performant no? (owned local computer)

I'd pick Guacamole only if your local device is some crippled computer like a chromebook/corporate PC.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into X2Go, and probably will do another script on that as well :D

• Saw your post on V2 :)
    Nice stuff.
    Could it be used like a remote browser to keep the browser fingerprint unified?

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • HostingbotHostingbot Member, Host Rep

This is legit, thanks!

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @hiphiphip0 said:
    Saw your post on V2 :)
    Nice stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not clear what you mean by "keep browser fingerprint unified," but sure, you can use it as a remote browser to keep your personal info private :)

• @dedipromo said:
    As title suggests, I wrote a one-click script that sets up a desktop environment on a spare Linux VPS, and such desktop environment can be access through any web browser, so that you don't need to install VNC client software on each of your computers.

I hope this script can be helpful to some people, because guacamole and desktop setup can be somewhat difficult to new linux users, and this script will take care of those steps.

Github Link

System Requirement

• At least 1 GB RAM

How to use

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Har-Kuun/OneClickDesktop/master/OneClickDesktop.sh && sudo bash OneClickDesktop.sh

What does the script do

• Set up TigerVNC
    • Optionally and only experimentally, Chrome browser can be one-click installed using the plugin script

Other notes

• It is highly discouraged to install desktop environment within your current production environment, because desktop environment will bring complexity to your server security.
    • It is recommended to configure firewall after the setup so that your desktop environment will be safer.

Looks great.. but I like to idle my vps under centos... would you consider a script for centos in future please? Tia

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @plumberg said:

@dedipromo said:

Github Link

System Requirement

• At least 1 GB RAM

How to use

What does the script do

• Set up TigerVNC

Other notes

Looks great.. but I like to idle my vps under centos... would you consider a script for centos in future please? Tia

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on a CentOS 8 version; but it won't be able to support CentOS 7 though.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Thank you. I will give it a try. I subscribe the user who suggested x2go/nomachine or even thinlinc.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @hiphiphip0 said:
    Saw your post on V2 :)
    Nice stuff.

Is there a v2(ray) tutorial /script?
    I'd like to check it out. Link or PM plz?

• It's cool, i will trying. Thanks.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited August 2020

This is disgusting! Thank you.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited August 2020

Guacamole is an interesting project but too much work for just a simple remote desktop in my opinion.

Tomcat is java and java is something I hate after all these years wrestiling with idracs and ipmi's

I installed an idle vps with this script. Script is very good and does what it says.

But the performance of vnc over browser is not that good. Very laggy.

If i installed the same server with xfce + x2go it almost feels like local desktop.

Anyway is there a way to add other servers to this setup?

As Guacamole is a server where we can add multiple remote desktops?

If I enter the Guacamole after this installation it directly opens the desktop of the server it's installed over.

where can I find other Guacamole setup screens to add more remote desktop servers?

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited August 2020

I installed a vps with 1 gb of ram and 1 dedicated core + nvme

and only after the default install when I try to install something with apt:

Fetched 1134 kB in 0s (32.3 MB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected package gir1.2-keybinder-3.0.
    (Reading database ... 152932 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../0-gir1.2-keybinder-3.0_0.3.2-1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking gir1.2-keybinder-3.0 (0.3.2-1) ...
    dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     fork failed: Cannot allocate memory
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.
    # 
    Progress: [  3%] [##........................................................] 

ram is no more.

so 1 gb ram is not enough obviously to do something reasonably with this setup.

maybe 2gb ram is minimum I guess..

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Might we worth mentioning what the Java default heap size is, so we can plan virtual memory better, nvme swap 😈

• @dedipromo said:

@plumberg said:

@dedipromo said:

Github Link

System Requirement

• At least 1 GB RAM

How to use

What does the script do

• Set up TigerVNC

Other notes

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on a CentOS 8 version; but it won't be able to support CentOS 7 though.

Awesome. That works too... thank you

• TejyTejy Member

I'm stuck at: "Please input your 8-character VNC password:".
    What I must do? :/

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2020

Thank you, but you might want to have a look at this (there highly likely are more):
    Critical Apache Guacamole Flaws Put Remote Desktops at Risk of Hacking

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • Putting this into some wireguard tunnel would be nice so you can make the stuff just listen on localhost and not need to expose it to the internets.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @Tejy said:

I get this too.

I try 12345678 success to next step. :smiley:

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • I saw this in the Chinese forum, nice scripts!
    will install a VPS to test this!

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • TejyTejy Member

@youandri said:

@Tejy said:

I get this too.

I try 12345678 success to next step. :smiley:

Thanks, it worked! :D

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • Nice :)

@dedipromo you shoud github.com/sponsors

Thanked by 1dedipromo