Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I create more virtual cores in vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I create more virtual cores in vps?

uzaysanuzaysan Member
edited August 2020 in Help

I have a vps server. My vps server has dedicated cores and nested virtualization is enabled. But I wanna increase core count.

Whats the best way to do that?

Comments

• imokimok Member
    edited August 2020

Install an hypervisor on it and then create a VM with thousands of cores.

Like this one https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

May I ask why you need to increase core count?

• @imok said:

Like this one https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

In this case, hypervisor is KVM? Sorry ı'm really noob in this field.

• imokimok Member

Yes. But an easier way to manage KVM is Proxmox.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@imok said:

CPU power wise will be still limited to the same as dedicated cores.

• Lol more cores doesn't meaning more performance..

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Lol more cores doesn't meaning more performance..

OP might be looking to split into more VPS or maybe considering to resell.

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

It is generally quite detrimental to performance to create more virtual "cores" - but this can be easiy achieved in almost any hypervisor by simply setting the core/thread count you want (and the rules for cpu limits) and then spin up the number of vms you need. Vms will start stealing cpu cycles from each other though and performance will quickly start to tumble as you do more and more overcommit.

We never do any overcommit on our machines and never allow overall system load to persistently rise above 30% in order to leave lots of overhead and prevent cpu steal.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Three facts to keep in mind:

• each VM has an overhead, so creating more sub-VMs will decrease performance
    • hypervision doesn't come for free, so adding another layer will decrease performance
    • Virtualization seems cost virtually nothing - but that's only true when the load on the physical cores isn't too high.

Assuming, based on quite a bit of experience, that providers already optimize their config (read: squeeze out what's feasible) it's not exactly smart to add another virtualization layer with more VMs.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Just download some more cores. And some more RAM, too.

• @TimboJones said:
    Just download some more cores. And some more RAM, too.

...and while you’re at it, throw some new IPv4.plus addresses in for free dedicated IPs.

Thanked by 1webcraft

@TimboJones said:
    Just download some more cores. And some more RAM, too.

Excellent tip wrt cores but wrt memory there is no need because there already is virtual memory. (And don't you LOL, I've seen quite a few "smart guys" who seriously said that now with NVMe swap memory is almost as fast as DRAM ...).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Just download some more cores. And some more RAM, too.

Also, I recommend compressing cores and RAM. You can fit a LOT more cores into the physical host if you compress the virtual cores.

@raindog308 said:
    Also, I recommend compressing cores and RAM. You can fit a LOT more cores into the physical host if you compress the virtual cores.

Very good advice - but careful there! Always be sure to keep one or two virtual cores uncompressed or else you'll end up with a stuck system due to no vCores available to decompress the other vCores.
    Pro Tip: Just virtualize two ARM vCores in addition to all the x86 cores; the Arm vCores use very little power and can be used to compress and decompress all the x64 vCores.

Thanked by 2webcraft AlwaysSkint
  • Thanks, all topped up again.

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited August 2020

@imok said:

I will run. Node js app. İt's performance limited to core count. Because it's single thread app. But it never used 100 percent of cpu. I will create more virtual cores. And run more node app instance

• Just ask your VPS provider to take out the CPU and cut it in half or even more pieces. That's how I got my 64 core i7-3770. Fuck you AMD.

edited August 2020

@Carne said:
    Just ask your VPS provider to take out the CPU and cut it in half or even more pieces. That's how I got my 64 core i7-3770. Fuck you AMD.

Nope, f_ck yourself, intel-fanboy! Cause AMD already has their larger processors cut into chiplets (though only a few).

AMD rulez!

• Inviting @HostDoc to the party, he has the most experience in this topic by far.

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    Inviting @HostDoc to the party, he has the most experience in this topic by far.

Wow, will the doctor come here?

@chocolateshirt said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    Inviting @HostDoc to the party, he has the most experience in this topic by far.

Wow, will the doctor come here?

Nuh, I don't think so. He's probably busy creating his next scam company.

• If you monitor your VPS, get a graph that shows both CPU busy and CPU steal time. An over-provisioned VPS would show a spike in CPU steal time right along with CPU busy time. On my Contabo 4-core VPS in MS, the CPU steal time is around 12-16% when CPU busy time is around 25-30%. That's how overloaded it is.