Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jitsi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jitsi

refikrefik Member
edited August 2020 in General

Hello,

I need a hardware recommendation for ~200 folks in the room (video/audio). I read on jitsi community ~8GBRAM, 2vcpu is enough for 10 people in one call. Need, Also your experiences.

Thanks.

Comments

• Deploy it on Cloudjiffy, scalable and works like a charm.

https://cloudjiffy.com/solutions/jitsi

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • TerensMTerensM Member
    edited August 2020

I don't think you need more than 8GB of ram, but I would go for at least 4 core

• 200 with incoming video is going to be tough anyway.

on hetzner CPX21 (3vC/4GB) meetings with 50-60 people work quite good if not everyone has video turned on and you spend some time experimenting with the settings. feels like there is still breathing room but I never had the chance to test it with more people.

I didn't check lately but a few weeks back firefox had bad quality, so have your guests avoid it if possible. overall works best on mobile or tablet with the app. quality on desktop in chrome is acceptable too.

always also depends on the connections of the guests etc. so expect a not to small percentage of the people to complain anyway.

overall from my experience jitsi works well for self hosted meetings though.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Has anyone used both BBB and Jitsi? Any comparisons?

• Jitsi used to be basically non-functional with Firefox. Or required plugins for things to work. BBB works OOTB and has whiteboard.

Thanked by 1saibal
  • An integrated whiteboard is nice. How about the CPU usage? Jitsi is a CPU hog.

• Thanks! This is very nice.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited August 2020

@saibal said:
    Has anyone used both BBB and Jitsi? Any comparisons?

yes.

running both in parallel for a client still.

BBB feels a bit... rusty from the beginning. requiring ubuntu 16.04 and such. it is however very stable and easy to use.
    also by far more complex in what it has to offer. not only rooms, but proper user management, features like whiteboard, breakout sessions and not least the integration with moodle as learning platform etc.

it relies even more on java and brings in docker as well therefore definitely needs more ressources esp. RAM won't hurt. if I remember correctly jitsi was using ~1.5-1.7 GB idle and BBB starts with 3GB+

under the hood BBB uses red5 for streaming, if I recall correctly. red5 is well known, stable and therefore offers decent quality and performance.

I'd say it depends on your use case, BBB feels less experimental, just works but might need even more ressources to begin with.
    Jitsi is more lightweight but might also lack a lot of features (I remember that a host who started a jitsi meeting could not just simply close the session for all guest but instead someone else got to be the new moderator etc.) - which makes it more suitable for smaller, private groups rather then e.g. webinar sessions and such.

Thanked by 2saibal coreflux
  • Thanks @Falzo for the review :) Had been using Jitsi, time to give BBB a test.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@refik said:
    Hello,

I need a hardware recommendation for ~200 folks in the room (video/audio). I read on jitsi community ~8GBRAM, 2vcpu is enough for 10 people in one call. Need, Also your experiences.

Thanks.

Instead, go for https://cloudjiffy.com/ hourly scalable Jitsi as your disposal

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • @BharatB said:

@refik said:
    Hello,

Thanks.

this indeed works quite well, however comes at a cost. one cloudlet /w 128 MiB RAM is $1 a month and you'll need at least 4 or 5 idle already...

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Falzo said:

@BharatB said:

@refik said:
    Hello,

Thanks.

this indeed works quite well, however comes at a cost. one cloudlet /w 128 MiB RAM is $1 a month and you'll need at least 4 or 5 idle already...

You can start the environment for meetings and shut it down when not needed. No cost for stopped environments :)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @leapswitch said: You can start the environment for meetings and shut it down when not needed. No cost for stopped environments

good point actually. :+1:

though if it's for a client I'd probably need to think about a way to have that client stop/start that environment, without accessing the whole area. just curious, is this something that can be done via an API call or the like?

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Falzo said:

@leapswitch said: You can start the environment for meetings and shut it down when not needed. No cost for stopped environments

good point actually. :+1:

though if it's for a client I'd probably need to think about a way to have that client stop/start that environment, without accessing the whole area. just curious, is this something that can be done via an API call or the like?

Yes, we have API calls for this. https://docs.jelastic.com/api/#!/api/environment.Control

Jitsi + custom domain + SSL requires a public IP, so that will be charged even if the environment is stopped.

Thanked by 1Falzo